Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 188

Author Topic: You are King! (Spring 315a)  (Read 185144 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are King! (Winter 314)
« Reply #2265 on: August 17, 2011, 08:26:28 am »

Head towards -my- castle to see what state it's in, soldiers armed and ready for any trouble. Have a soldier march ahead of the group shouting,
"Make way for the King! The rightful King of Miring! Make way! Way for the King!" And so on.

Also, once I reach the castle and find out what state it's in, barring any major incidents, I want to get it neatened up/repaired, and organize a large meeting with the who's-who-and-still-alive of Miring. Making sure there are tonnes of guards, naturally. Any remnants of Miring's army, find them and order them to do as I say. They swore to serve my family, after all!
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2266 on: August 17, 2011, 11:49:58 am »

((Minor retconning here, sorry!))

Knavston, stood over his fireplace, he had recently taken up quarters in the Castle proper, it was nice to sleep underneath stone rather than the tent he was used to on campaign.

The news of Lord Terenos looting the city's noble estates had not been taken well by the Grand Master. He had also learned that the reinforcements had been delayed solely so they could loot the Mirish estates. Had they not dallied, Knavston had no doubt they would have arrived in time for the battle of Preston and many of his soldiers lives would be saved.

Much of the news of Terenos had been troubling to Black. Soldiers claimed that he killed both the King of Miring and his heir, calling himself regent. He could not let the Shadow take Preston and Miring for himself.

Exhaling a deep breathe slowly he dropped the letter from the King into the fireplace, watching the paper curl and catch fire. If the King still desired to make him Duke when he arrived, that would be his prerogative, but he would have no part in anointing this assassin.

When d'Avistral finally after his looting spree Knavston met him from the Throne room of the late King Philip. “Lord dAvistral. So good of you to finally join us. I trust your long journey was... profitable. It is unfortunate that your men did not arrive in time for the battle, but as you see...” he motioned around the castle, “It's already been taken care of.”

Pacing down the hall, he examined a few of the tapestries that hung up along the wall, he continued, “I have some good news and bad news. The King has told me he is planning on coming to Preston personally to bestow gifts. Unfortunately, it seems that our dear friend Lord Trubaldsome has fled the city, it doesn't take much thought to wonder where he has gone. You and Sir Taric should return to Miring with your men and ensure that Trubaldsome stays loyal to the crown... at all costs. I will remain here and act as steward until King Erik arrives and names a proper regent for this land.”

Ardas

• Bay Watcher
  • Skippity-Bap-Pap for your soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #2267 on: August 17, 2011, 12:52:29 pm »

"Heh, so much for my trouble". Hans sat in his office, deliberating the 1 ducat of money made and the potential investments. The journey was a little more than a waste of time, since that money could have been made in Miring. Nonetheless, the credit and the infrastructure still were more than nothing, and the continous unrest meant a very unstable situation in the city. A situation that Hans was eager to exploit.

"Make way for the King!". These cries and more were heard from the street. Miring was now boiling with activity, with confused people and Elbrethian footmen on every street. All of the commotion was concentrated on the main avenue leading to the castle. Hans quickly got out and followed the people. With his merchant looks he hoped to mix in with the city patricians and make his way to the caslte, where a supposed meeting of all the big people was about to happen.

Follow Trubaldsome's march to the castle and try to make way to the big meeting.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #2268 on: August 17, 2011, 01:20:49 pm »

OOC: Trying to respond to everyone, but I'm going to have missed something. If so, I'm sorry and just give me a heads-up.
Not doing any non-King Erik related stuff yet today. Will do that in a bit.

The Gates of Sheepstead, Early Winter...

(Ichor) The guard arched an eyebrow, eying the stranger. After a moment of studying him, he gave a small shrug and a smile. "Lad, jest head on in. King's holding open court still, if yeh hurry might be you can get in."

The King's Court, Early Winter...

(The Mask) Erik's bemused smile remained, though only through effort. "You do know more than most, I must admit," he replied calmly, "And we've always a need for those knowledgeable in the ways of diplomacy. Bjorn, my steward, shall provide you with lodging if you haven't any...I suggest you stay close, I'll have need of a traveling companion soon enough."

Later...

(Ludwig) The King frowned a moment, and then glanced idly to the nearby courtiers. "You are a soldier, then, and looking to serve me?" he asked, before giving an idle wave with his mangled hand, "Then you may wish to speak to my Steward. He will provide you with a bed and chest in the barracks."

Much Later...

(The Nahk) Erik studied the letter for a long moment. When he finally finished contemplating its message he set it down on the arm-rest of his throne, blue eyes blazing. "Your Nahk asks for control of Elbrethian land. And for what? The promise that his band of mountain-folk will not raid it? The right to train you fools for a pittance? Knowledge of some heathen faith?" he began, voice surprisingly calm, "No. You," he pointed to Commander Zacmar with the finger of his sword-hand, "will return to your Nahk and tell him that I do not accept the alliance. The others will stay here, in the stockades. Where bandits belong."

The Courtyard, Early Winter Morning...

(Zandor/The Crown) By the time Erik had reached the yard, a light snow had begun to fall, obscuring the scorch-marks and rubble that remained from the year's earlier fire. A light mist rose in the air with each breath, and Erik quickly sent Bjorn back inside, as he already worried for the old man's health enough as it was. The bloodied villager, Commander Leif had informed him the name was Zandor, had requested weapons and so a wagon had been prepared to travel with them and stocked with a variety of weapons, mostly spears, halberds, and maces. The King's new "personal guard", a collection of squires and pages green behind the ears and full of tales of chivalry and courage, milled about, preparing to set out. Erik did not feel comfortable riding into battle accompanied by squires and villagers, but not a man could be spared from defense for the endeavor. And, besides, had he not been the age of a squire when he first rode into battle at the side of his father's men?

It had been a crisp autumn day, the fallen twigs and leaves had snapped like bones beneath his mount's hooves and the knight he accompanied, a Sir Osvald, had joked that his hair would have made him the perfect candidate for conducting an ambush if the horse could be quiet for just a moment. They wouldn't need to prepare an ambush though, they knew where the bandits were hiding and it was a simple task to flush them out. On that day Erik had killed four men, and he could still remember their faces in vivid detail if he tried. Sir Osvald had been wounded in the fighting, and when all was said and done Erik had gone to visit him in his tent. There he had heard the knight's last words, and he remembered those too.

The King of Elbreth grit his teeth and tightened the grip of his mangled hand on the hilt of his father's longsword. He was still unsure if he would be able to fight with it, but he had been training with his off-hand for some time and, while not entirely confident in his abilities (the training had not been formal, as he refused to let members of his guard know the full extent of his weakness) he still felt he would at least be able to hold his own when battle found them. With a final nod to Commander Leif, who would remain behind while his King rode off to deal with the bandits, Erik mounted his warhorse and set out towards the gate.

King Erik raises a personal guard using the squires and pages, he then personally leads his guard to meet with Zandor's regiment and deal with the bandits. He brings with him weapons for the villagers in Zandor's regiment.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 01:28:00 pm by thatkid »
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #2269 on: August 17, 2011, 01:38:18 pm »

"Wait mi'lord!" Kain hurried out from the gates his cloak billowing behind him and dragging in the snow. His sixty men wearing studded leather and with swords at their belts followed behind him, trying to keep up with their leige lord.

"I wish to accompany you...to make sure you are safe...when we fight the bandits that, that lad talked about. May I? I won't have to worry about Raiders attacking my land until that Zacmar fellow gets home. My men are experineced and well-learned in combat, able to fight with the best of them...Please let me accompany you."

Earlier
Kain walked into Jarod's room with his hood off. A bandage and some stitches could be seen on the side of his face, and he didn't look too pleased.
"Ah...hello Jarod, is it? Good to finally meet you..."
 Kain looks out the door and gestures for his guards to go take a walk.
"I have an oppurtunity that might interest you..."
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 01:53:41 pm by filiusenox »
"No, I'm being obstinate for the sake of I hate you."

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #2270 on: August 17, 2011, 01:53:11 pm »

OOC: This post will be edited with non-Erik related stuff in a little while. Only responding to posts that come before it though.

E: Not rolling for Hans because he's involving himself in the Trubaldsome situation...which I have a direct stake in.

The Courtyard, Early Winter Morning...

(Zandor/Kain/Erik) Erik raised a gloved hand, ordering the regiment to a stop. Wheeling his horse about to face Kain, he gave a short nod before calling out a response. "I would be glad to have you by my side, Kain." He paused a moment, waiting for the Minister to reach him before adding, "If you haven't a mount, there should be a few horses left in the stables...I don't think they've all gone to war."

The Red Cellar, Sheepstead, Early Winter...

(Sir Joseph 5) You quickly command your men to barricade the door, turning what would have started as a simple arrest and trial (followed by perhaps a fine) into a full-out battle. +1 Defensive Bonus (3) The guards attempt to open the door, only to realize that it's been barricaded shut with a pile of tables and chairs. Though his voice is muffled, you can hear someone shouting for you to surrender peacefully from outside.

In the Northern Eelspine Range...

(Meng 6) You follow the river quite a ways before Percy lets out a squawk and flutters away from your crossbow. Over the roar of the river you can hear Buster's padded feet against the rocks as the war dog abandons you. A moment later, a splash sounds followed by several more as the stench of death assaults your nostrils. In due time, Percy returns, indicated by an addition of weight on your crossbow. A moment later, Buster drops something at your feet which, upon examination, appears to be a human hand.

(The Nahk 4) As you're going over the maps, and your elementalists are describing their religion to Kytuzian (And asking him questions about the spirits of Eelspine) one of the goatherders you stationed at the entrance of the cave comes running back to alert you and your men: A strange traveler, accompanied by a dog and bird, is apparently traversing the bottom of the ravine.
Kytuzian naturally is present for the report.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 02:25:06 pm by thatkid »
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #2271 on: August 17, 2011, 01:57:11 pm »

"I have one. I just thought you were still in the courtyard..." the horse in question is brought forth and Kain jumps onto it without much finesse or care.
"Thank you Mi'lord...for allowing me to come with you..."
Amongst the crowd you can see a few other men, not very many, riding on horses.

Ride with King Erik to fight the Bandits. Bring my regiment.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 02:13:59 pm by filiusenox »

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2272 on: August 17, 2011, 02:02:06 pm »

Terenos's sword hand twitched.. He was having difficulty dealing with this man.
Probably always will..Fanatics always bother me.

"My men did not arrive in time for the battle, as we were securing Miring. You must have heard their Kings are dead. I thought it a fine gift to the king, to secure the land, and ensure it's new 'King' was loyal. But then, he is a Trubaldsome. Mores the pity that your incompetence led to him running off to 'claim' his throne.

If you had the authority to order me, or my troops around, You're the sort of man who would shove it in my face. I see no letter from the King. You have no authority over me. Which means I am still technically autonomous.
And I have had enough fights to the death for this year.
I will await the Kings arrival here."

Terenos looked contemplative, then removed the Crown of Miring from his pack.
"Unless you'd like me to deliver his crown..I suppose I could do that. Only a little risk in that."

(New Actions!)Terenos settles into military lodgings in the city. Keeping his and Manning's regiment close. He endeavors to return 2 ducats of his plundered goods, to the populace at large, on the down low, as it were.
In addition, Terenos and Manning practice their swordplay, with each other, their regiments, so on
Blunt weapons, all that. so on. Good, solid drill practice.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 02:05:12 pm by Terenos »
But despite what you've been told, I once had a soul. Left somewhere behind...

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2273 on: August 17, 2011, 02:05:12 pm »

Jarod was surprised by the man, but he smiled when he looked at him. When the lord offered him an opportunity, the duelist walked to the door and closed it.

"And what kind of opportunity would that be, lord...?"

He didn't know who the man was but he guessed he was important.

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
« Reply #2274 on: August 17, 2011, 02:12:38 pm »

"Kain...Just call me Kain. I'm the Minister of...Internal Affairs...and I need people...who can fight without holding the sword the wrong way...and who have enough intelligence to report on situations that...they may find themselves in... I'm offering you a job as a Enforcer, as I call it...A sort of...Detective."
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 02:14:27 pm by filiusenox »

vagel7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2275 on: August 17, 2011, 02:15:36 pm »

"Thank you, My Lord." With that Ludwig took a final bow and exited the throne room. The Steward that the king mentioned was outside the double doors and Ludwig gave him information on where to reach him 24/7 and told the steward that he would send him a messenger in the night to direct him to his lodgings in the castle. At that he went back to his little house.

Later...

At home Ludwig shaved his beard to only leave a balbo. He then dressed for the tea party which was about to begin.

After the tea party

There were 4 people beside him and Philius there. Jack Daniels, a wealthy man who ran an alchemical business. James "Jackal" Russel, a very powerful arms trader. Alistair Moody, a private detective, more like a private spy though. He was your man to go for information in the city. Anbad Suliman, Philius's partner, the best caravan master in the land. Ludwig returned from the tea party to find a messenger knocking on his door. The messenger was from the steward in the palace. He must of been about 14. Ludwig invited him in for some mead while he changed his clothes to something more practical and took his dagger and 3 throwing knives.

The steward had indeed given him a bed and a chest. He would need to speak to the king to get some rooms for living. As he used alchemy widely in his job.

New contacts and spend a night in the palace.

That last gobbo would stand there, missing an arm, punctured in a kidney, liver, and spleen, fading in and out of consciousness at the far end of where the drawbridge would go, and his last sight would be the drawbridge dropping down and smashing him like a bug.

God DAMN I love this game!

Spaghetti7

• Bay Watcher
  • Steam ID: wavy shapes dude
    • View Profile
« Reply #2276 on: August 17, 2011, 02:15:54 pm »

Surprised at the ease at which he got to the king, Ichor was even more convinced that he would be required in the kings-
ARGH. Those damn headaches. I really should get them seen to.
Picking himself up from the dirt and brushing himself down, Ichor strode through the high, heavy oaken doors. Confronted by a frankly, rather bored looking king, he knelt before the throne.

"Sire, I am sure your day has been long and tiring, yet I have an interesting proposal to make."
When the king still looked blank, Ichor took the next step.
"Well sire, I am Ichor Echen. I believe I have skills that would interest a man of power, such as you. However, I cannot speak so freely in the presence of so many.
With the utmost respect, could you and I speak privately sire? That way we will both benefit from my...
Proposal."
Raise a questioning eyebrow at the king, using my natural charm to persuade him that this would be a fabulous idea.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2011, 02:19:53 pm by Spaghetti7 »
That's nothing. I had something mate with a pile of dead meat.

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2277 on: August 17, 2011, 02:29:08 pm »

“Ah yes, 'Securing' Is that what you call it? As I understand it you were busy looting every noble estate from here to Miring. I'm sure the widows of all the dead soldiers are very happy to hear of all the ducats you earned instead of coming to support their husbands. Perhaps if you hadn't been too busy looting the City you might have seen Trubaldsome walk right by you.”

“And no, I do not have any authority over you Lord Terenos, you are correct. I was hoping you would be serving the realm and ensure that Trubaldome doesn't bring Miring back into Chaos.” He motions towards the crown Terenos carries, “You did declare yourself Regent of Miring, no? Would you rather be Regent of Preston? Or perhaps you had hoped to control the entire coast for yourself?”

“You are more than welcome to await the King's arrival. I only hope you decide not to murder him for his crown under the guise of being a friend like King Leuki. I see the hunger in your eyes and I like it not. Sir Taric will travel with the Royal regiments himself.”

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2278 on: August 17, 2011, 02:31:39 pm »

The duelist had a polite smile, and he looked around the room. It was... Little. Little and annoying. At Miring, he had a mansion... But since he left Miring, he was poor. Poor, and without any job. He had hoped the King would have need of a duelist, but he feared Erik would soon forget him.

"An Enforcer. It's an... Interesting offer. And what would you exactly have me do, as an enforcer? Would the job be worth the risks?"

He wanted to know if he was going to be well paid. It was quite frustrating to be nearly penniless.

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2279 on: August 17, 2011, 02:38:40 pm »

"Believe whatever you will. Are you my King? No. Are you a man with more clout? More position than I? No. We are equals and as such I need not explain myself to you."
But despite what you've been told, I once had a soul. Left somewhere behind...
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 188