Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 148 149 [150] 151 152 ... 188

Author Topic: You are King! (Spring 315a)  (Read 185160 times)

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
Re: You are King! (Winter 314)
« Reply #2235 on: August 16, 2011, 06:28:12 pm »

((I'm not sure if it's up to me, but I'd like to have Ehndra's regiment be the one killed due to the fact that they're cheaper and he won't be able to afford the upkeep on them anyways once the years rolls around.))

Jormund returns to Dr. Johnston (or just finds us on the field of battle, I don't remember if he joined us) and informs him how the battle went. "It was a decent battle, the new troops we raised did their best to try and capture the other clan, but unfortunately Ehndras' men were a little wet behind the ears and got in the way of the plan. Partially because of this, we lost about half of our forces in the battle but still came out victorious. The other good thing about the battle was that we managed to get 2 ducats that they had found. Unfortunately, I believe there's more of them, and so we might be fighting them in the future. In the mean time, I'd like to resume studying tactics with some of the soldiers through the winter as well as working on possibly fortifying my land in case the Valley clan does come back. I don't think there's going to be much more opportunities for us until spring arrives."

Return to Dr. Johnston and give him the 2 ducats and turn the soldiers back over to him. Return to the veteran soldier and resume studying tactics now that I have my own parcel of land. Lastly, attempt to build a wall or earthen defense around the Valley area.

((That battle's rolls seem waaaaaay too simplified, I prefer the person-by-person count rather than the simplified regiment by regiment battle (too simple means losses are rounded up, no fun flavor-text, and such. Not my decision though, so oh well. Sucks I lost my troops, but its okay I guess)

Ehndras says a prayer over the loss of his men, and joins Jormund in his travels. For now, Ehndras will tag along while he heals, and attempt to raise another group of men to defend Jormund's lands when the time comes.
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Mr. Dwarfinton

• Bay Watcher
  • This space has been left blank by the user.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2236 on: August 16, 2011, 06:29:36 pm »

((If it was person by person it would be like, "Soldier number 1 regiment 1 is shot down by archer number 5 enemy regiment 3!))

Ehndras

• Bay Watcher
  • Voidwalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2237 on: August 16, 2011, 06:30:30 pm »

((If it was person by person it would be like, "Soldier number 1 regiment 1 is shot down by archer number 5 enemy regiment 3!))

((Just saying, I like Itiem's method :) His war/battle rolls are awesome))
Quote from: Yoink
You're never too old to enjoy flying body parts.  
Quote from: Vector
Ehndras, you are the prettiest man I have ever seen
Quote from: Dorsidwarf
"I am a member of Earth. I enjoy to drink the water. In Earth we have an internal skeleton."

Mr. Dwarfinton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2238 on: August 16, 2011, 06:33:23 pm »

((Oh, I thought you meant like soldier by soldier, not Iiteum's method. :P))

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2239 on: August 16, 2011, 06:49:31 pm »

((well the problem here is that A) Knave made his first GM post, so let himg et into the feeling. and B) its a battle between 3 Regiments at whole not 25. You make the rolls and 1 Regiment kills the other there isn't much left to say... ok last post before i leave, im just up because of the damn insomnia i have before treavelling))

Suul was burning. Cyclists were marhing down the streets. Jomungundist Radicals were fighting Orthodoxy followers. It was magnificient. It just needed one more drop to be perfect. The thing that breaks the archbishops back...literally. For one last time Corv played all his Jormungundist contacts in the city...

raise the Jormungundists and let them join the angry Cyclists, meanwhile get the Regiment and use the complete and utter Chaos to loot as much as they can before leaving the city again disguised as monks. Be careful to wear no distinctive mark neither of Orthodoxy,nor Cyclist nor Jormungundist Heritage to prevent the prgroms going agaisnt my men...after that make the way home to the Weylands and stop by the King of Elbereth.

Elfeater

• Bay Watcher
  • Max Yeskly the dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2240 on: August 16, 2011, 07:03:52 pm »

((I got skipped in the updates ))
I for one support our child snatching overlords.
there is a difference between droping red numbers representing magma on Es representing elves, and finding it hot when a girl moans like a retarded seal

Mr. Dwarfinton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2241 on: August 16, 2011, 07:08:18 pm »

((I'm not sure if it's up to me, but I'd like to have Ehndra's regiment be the one killed due to the fact that they're cheaper and he won't be able to afford the upkeep on them anyways once the years rolls around.))

Jormund returns to Dr. Johnston (or just finds us on the field of battle, I don't remember if he joined us) and informs him how the battle went. "It was a decent battle, the new troops we raised did their best to try and capture the other clan, but unfortunately Ehndras' men were a little wet behind the ears and got in the way of the plan. Partially because of this, we lost about half of our forces in the battle but still came out victorious. The other good thing about the battle was that we managed to get 2 ducats that they had found. Unfortunately, I believe there's more of them, and so we might be fighting them in the future. In the mean time, I'd like to resume studying tactics with some of the soldiers through the winter as well as working on possibly fortifying my land in case the Valley clan does come back. I don't think there's going to be much more opportunities for us until spring arrives."

Return to Dr. Johnston and give him the 2 ducats and turn the soldiers back over to him. Return to the veteran soldier and resume studying tactics now that I have my own parcel of land. Lastly, attempt to build a wall or earthen defense around the Valley area.

The Doctor, returning to the capital from the battle, gladly accepts the two gold. He smiled at Jormund, standing up and hugging him tightly. "Thank you, my friend." He said, letting go and sitting back down. "I hear word of you trying to create some sort of defense around your land? Good luck to you, I say. Let's hope you have more success than I did! Wait a minute before you leave, though. I have a present." And with that he waved a guard over. "Give this man half of the gold to help build his wall." Then motioned him to hurry up. "Oh, I nearly forgot, you most certainly can study under my soldiers anytime. It would be an honor. Now leave, I have to go over some plans involving the McKinleys."

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Give Jormund 1 ducat to help build the wall.
Raise one heavy ambush regiment (2.5 ducats) Use that and the other ambush regiment to attack the McKinley's land and attempt to take one parcel of land

« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 07:17:38 pm by Mr. Dwarfinton »

Jormundur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2242 on: August 16, 2011, 07:15:18 pm »

Jormund is grateful for the ducat, but it might be more useful at a later point than right now. A wall would be nice but hopefully he doesn't need money to build it.

Try to build the wall without using the ducat first.

((@Dwarfinton: I feel like pointing out that if you make it a heavy ambush regiment you'd be able to use them with the other ambush regiment I trained and they'd have a total strength of +5 (2 regiments +1 for heavy +2 for ambush) they'd also get either a +1 or +2 for tactics since I'm not sure if they stack or not. Just what I'd more likely do though.))
I'm having money troubles so they disconnected my internet at home... No way to post outside of work. :\ Thankfully I work from 10 AM to 6 PM EST, though its 6:45 and I'm still at the office. (Manager, I can stay as long as I want, hehe)

...And yes, I'm here just to post on B12 in RP posts. Can't get geekier than that.

Mr. Dwarfinton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2243 on: August 16, 2011, 07:18:46 pm »

((Just changed it, I meant to do ambush anyway.))

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2244 on: August 16, 2011, 07:19:28 pm »

((well the problem here is that A) Knave made his first GM post, so let himg et into the feeling. and B) its a battle between 3 Regiments at whole not 25. You make the rolls and 1 Regiment kills the other there isn't much left to say... ok last post before i leave, im just up because of the damn insomnia i have before treavelling))

Suul was burning. Cyclists were marhing down the streets. Jomungundist Radicals were fighting Orthodoxy followers. It was magnificient. It just needed one more drop to be perfect. The thing that breaks the archbishops back...literally. For one last time Corv played all his Jormungundist contacts in the city...

raise the Jormungundists and let them join the angry Cyclists, meanwhile get the Regiment and use the complete and utter Chaos to loot as much as they can before leaving the city again disguised as monks. Be careful to wear no distinctive mark neither of Orthodoxy,nor Cyclist nor Jormungundist Heritage to prevent the prgroms going agaisnt my men...after that make the way home to the Weylands and stop by the King of Elbereth.

The traditional response of leaders in the Mirish Coast would be to immediately begin suppressing as much of the populace with their troops as possible using heavy contingents of troops, draining their own potential manpower for a future war whilst remaining distracted enough to make for easy looting by a small opportunistic force.

Archibishop Thring knows this is the traditional response because he has used it before in the Sword Coast, where he is trying to bring Suulian Orthodoxy back into fashion.  He is a man who sees patterns, and who pays attention to small things.  This is why he employs scouts and spies, because these are the men who notice small things.  [4+2] For example, the very distinctive choice of skinning as an execution choice - especially compared to his spy reports from the north.  The loss of two ducats of tithes, due for assessment weeks ago.  Bodies, recovered from part of their travel route, stripped of their clothes.  The Archbishop's scouts know the location of the hotspots in the city, the most likely places for heretical gatherings.  They know where to ask questions.

Very soon, they know where a large shipment of weapons was sent and where men have been trained with them in heavy combat.

Another thing that traditional rulers of the Mirish Coast would do, upon locating a rebel hideout, is bring in one regiment of town watchmen and call out to the rebels within to surrender, giving them time to escape or to rush them with their heavily armed supporters.

[5]  Keeping this in mind, Archbishop Thring's men set your hideout on fire and surround it before any of your own scouts have a chance to report on their presence.  [6] This works for a given value of 'working', though it will almost certainly make the raging inferno tearing through Suul even more difficult for the Archbishop to resolve (-1 to Suul's attempt to resolve the inferno).  Not that this matters to you because right now both your regiment of Heavy Raiders and the Jorgumundist Heavy Infantry are all trapped in a burning building, surrounded by five regiments of dangerously professional archers.

In the Archbishop's Sanctum at Suul Cathedral

Archbishop Thring looked out of the window at the sudden new fire in the lower part of the city.  He took a sip from the porcelain cup on the low table beside him and placed it back in its saucer.

"Your move, Manskinner."
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Elfeater

• Bay Watcher
  • Max Yeskly the dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2245 on: August 16, 2011, 07:21:53 pm »

Say"I came in and ordered a drink and he pulled a crossbow on me!"
Leave town after this is over get my money first

Edit original post said monkey
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 08:00:01 pm by Elfeater »
I for one support our child snatching overlords.
there is a difference between droping red numbers representing magma on Es representing elves, and finding it hot when a girl moans like a retarded seal

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2246 on: August 16, 2011, 07:35:05 pm »

Quote from: Mahtan
Dice for that monkey.

The game is on.  Malcolm gets to pick rolls, of course.

[4+6]  Malcolm opts to roll.  You have no choice but to follow, rolling a 6.  Anything other than a 1 will lose you the game.  Malcolm, biting his lip, rolls again.  He bursts into laughter at whatever his roll was.  You steel yourself and roll.  You stare in dull shock at the dice.  Malcolm's grin widens at your expression.

"Calling it," he says, lifting his cup from the table.  A six, a two, a five and a three.  Sixteen.

"Read 'em and weep," says Malcolm, reaching for the purse on the table.  You put your hand on the purse and lift your cup slightly so he can see your dice.  A four, two sixes.  "Don't even think you can kid me, sunshine, you need all four-"

You remove the cup, revealing the last die. 

One.

Twenty minutes later, you and your two companions emerge from the townhouse with a purse full of silver (1 Ducat's worth), a monkey in a gilded cage and an extreme sense of satisfaction.  Booyah.

Also, the city is on fire.

Quote from: Taric & Terenos
Get our loot on.

Nobody can stop you, so you loot 8 Ducats from the city of Preston.  Of course, this does come directly out of next year's Tax Income and the people aren't terrible happy about it.  But you know what?  Screw them, what can they do about it?  You would have looted the remains of the Treasury too, if Black hadn't gotten to the fort first.

You've looted an awful lot, and are pretty rich from it.  Sure that'll damage the city's economy a bit, but who cares?  Not like you're going to be ruling it.

Incidentally, a messenger from Grandmaster Black's camp arrives and invites you to meet with him.  Apparently he has some important news for Terenos.

Quote from: Relating to Trubaldsome & Aulon
Rumour, News and Messengers

[3] News does eventually reach Trubaldsome about his brother's death, but it comes directly from the looser tongued members of the newly arrived Crown Infantry.  So much for keeping a secret.  [1] Speaking of keeping secrets, it proves utterly impossible to move a regiment of longbowmen without anyone noticing.  Word spreads quickly that you were headed south with your men without telling anyone, but not necessarily your exact location.  Not that this is too hard to guess, as the rumour of Leuki's death is spreading quickly.  [3] Your messenger, at least, makes it to Aulon in time to summon him but by this time it's pretty clear where he takes his regiment off to.

You arrive after a few weeks' travel (Trubaldsome about a week ahead of Aulon, two weeks ahead of anyone who might be in pursuit) at the edge of Miring.  Your home city is in many places a smouldering wreck, though you are heartened by the intact state of the port - the source of Miring's wealth.  Nevertheless, patrols flying the banners of Elbreth are very common indeed on the streets.  It looks like the Crown troops have been actively suppressing the populace.

Quote from: Grandmaster Black
Take control of Fort Preston.
Bring Noble prisoners to the dungeons. Inform them they will have the opportunity to swear allegiance to King Erik and if they do they will be able to keep their lands and titles.

You seize control of the fort easily enough and can use it as a base to stabilise the city from.  You also seize the remains of the Treasury, all 2 Ducats of it - Philip must have spent most of it on the war effort.

[6]  Virtually all of the noble prisoners are willing to swear allegiance now that all heirs to the Prestoner throne are dead.  This presents something of a problem, in fact, as many of the counts of Preston are still alive (some are quite close to death, but well enough to swear in time to pass their patrimony on to their heirs).  If you allow all of them to live, this will not provide much land at all for Erik's supporters in the war to take.

Quote from: King Erik
The 1 Regiment-large Palace Guard Regiment is to Aid Marquess Kain in apprehending the traitors in Sheepstead.

Begin a recruiting campaign in the Province of Elbreth, try to raise two regiments (despite the lack of manpower) to Defend the Realm. Make it clear that they will not be pulled away from home for long, but that they will also be able to fight alongside the King.

[1+1]  Despite the aid of the regiment (or perhaps because of their very overt presence), less than a third of the traitors are captured and dealt with.  The rest catch wind of events quickly and all flee their posts and the country.

You cannot raise men that are not fit to fight.  Nevertheless, there is some opportunity.  Many young squires and pages that serve in the Palace are willing to fight for their King if he will adopt them as his personal guard (the King thus far has not recruited one) and no doubt the inhabitants of the petitioner's village will rise up to aid him if he leads them.

Quote from: Manning
Manning attempts to rehash what happened in the battle and writes down some of the things that worked for him.
(basically, continue work on the swordplay study)

[4]  You spend time with your crew and work on revising your stance and slashing technique.  After a few weeks of this whilst the city is being pacified, you feel you have improved greatly.  [60 Swordplay points.]

Quote from: Locanil
Read over the newly acquired histories and send a letter to Miring that is to be opened by Morosin's human envoy

The histories are... in depth.  You would be better pressed to using them as a reference should you ever have any questions about Elbreth's history (+2 bonus to history-related checks regarding Elbreth).  There are all manner of details, from the expeditions of the early knightly orders to the secession of Elbreth from the once much-larger kingdom of Miring, or even the decline in relations with the Archbishopric of Suul over the last three generations (the permission of which is still technically required to crown a new king).

Quote from: Sir Joseph
If it comes to a fight then we fight but if not we pack up and leave town... We do that if there's a fight too.

"Please this man threatened me with his crossbow as unordered upa drink I don't know what ot into him" Sir Joesph pleads "Do you people hate nobility I am a knight not a simple man to be coerced!"

[2] Your rather ineffectual combination of pleading and boasting makes you no friends and doesn't avoid a fight.  The good news is that the two palace guardsmen are unarmoured if not unarmed.  They do have the back-up of chair-wielding patrons, though, who make up numbers against your full guard complement rather well.

[2] The man who slipped out to warn the guard starts shouting as soon as he gets out of the tavern.  Given the distance from the palace, you reckon you have... 5 exchanges before the guard arrive en masse.

Sir Joseph: +1 Weapon, +1 Armour, +1 Guard.  6/6hp.
Patrons:  +1 Weapon, +1 Numbers.  6/6hp

[2+3 vs 1+2] Your guards form a ring around you whilst the patrons rush you with broken bottles and chairs.  It's an undignified mess, but you hold your ground and the men beat unconscious a number of the patrons with their truncheons and sword-butts.  [Patrons 5hp]

[6+3 vs 3+2] You and your guards start to move away from the bar, forcing an exit whilst holding the line against the rabble.  So far they've been able to avoid resorting to fully lethal force.  [Patrons 4hp]

[4+3 vs 2+2]  You get quite close to the exit, and the two properly armed guards are blocked from you by the mass of patrons, most of whom are turning to flee by now.  [Patrons 3hp]

[6+3 vs 5+2]  You get to the door and are ready to leave as the last few patrons break and run for the back door.  Just the two palace guards now.  [Patrons 2hp, Numbers advantage lost.]

[1+3 vs 5+1]  Your luck runs out as the knights advance with their swords, much less concerned about keeping a low profile than your rather conscientious men.  One of them undercuts one of your guards, slashing his sword through the man's leg.  [Joseph 5hp]

It is about this time that the palace guard can be seen at the end of the street.  It looks like they sent a full regiment, to boot.  Will you try and fight off the entire regiment, or risk trying an escape?  If you hold the tavern entrance, it might give you a slight advantage defending, but if you fail to flee you'll be facing them on even ground.

Quote from: Tearakudo
Capture the Carrack using the anchor hook method:

They were in a faster ship and facing a much larger one. Instead of running (against the current, because the larger ship would cut the waves that were slowing them) they used the current to give them speed. Used lines to find the depth they were at, timed the descent of the anchors then set up them up for use. Charged the ship that was chasing them, and dropped the anchors for timing to slam into the -side- of the other ship instead of the bow. Hurray for neigh-suicidal tactics.))

You have your oarsmen build up speed, approaching the cargo carrack Yalasan and bracing yourself for a frankly (and beautifully) insane manoeuvre.  Just as you pass ramming speed, you notice another sail moving in.  You start cursing your luck when it becomes apparent that they are moving into position to assist the raid!  Well, you can always fight looting rights out with them afterwards...

Tactics:  The high speed of the sloop helps, but trying to capture any ship is a painful enough trick if your crew aren't trained to respond well to advanced manoeuvres.  [Req 5-1, Roll 5] But what can you say?  The Bright One is with you today, the wind hits your sails in just the right way to bring you into position.  You charge the carrack at near full speed, drop anchors and slam hard into the side of their ship.  The Nalia shudders from the impact, but insane as it was the trick worked.  You are now in a perfect position to take the Yalasan intact, provided you can win the ship-board fight.

Pirates: 1 Oar-banked Raider, 1 Warship (3 Str on attack)
Merchants: 1 Cargo Carrack  (3 Str)

Skirmish: [3+3 vs 2+3]  - Close Victory (Pirate warship lost, Merchant carrack captured.)

The fight is close.  Insanely close, as pirates from both sides swing onto the Yalasan and engage in a fierce melee with the merchant guardsmen.  The fighting only lasts some five minutes, but in the process the Yalasan was able to drive into the side of the warship, causing enough hull damage to doom it.  Many of the pirates were slain, but there are enough numbers left to man the two surviving ships.

The battle could not have been won - or at least not won cleanly, without the aid of the newcomers.  On the other hand, their captain is now alone with only a handful of men on the captured ship whilst Captain a'Valti is still backed up by his full crew.  On the first hand again, the captured sailors manning the Yalasan will probably follow whoever ends up giving them orders - or walk the plank, most like.  This is a negotiation that will have to take place carefully... or extremely violently.

Regardless of the outcome, no slaves can be taken because the impressive Yalasan needs both gangs of Sailors to crew it.  The absurdly spacious cargo bays on the other hand (the Yalasan is a Heavy Ship with the Cargo Bay upgrade) yield not one but two tonnes of assorted Luxuries; dresses, silver jewellery, fine glassware and the like.  Probably it would fetch 3 Ducats in Miring or Preston right now.  Probably more in Suul or one of the Storm Coast ports.

Quote from: Hans
Organise a wholesale purchase of luxuries for the Storm Coast (2 ducats, unless otherwise stated) and set for a trading run with "grain" shipment on the voyage back(pay back the credit when at home). Leave Marvin in charge of the premises.

Since you needed the extra space, you found that the cargo carrack Yalasan was offering to take the two tonnes of Luxuries you had prepared for just an extra ducat on top of what you'd already spent.  [4]  Fortunately, as you would later realise, you figured that for that much you might as well hire a second available ship.  The two hired ships set sail for the Storm Coast, eventually making port at Vasir a few weeks later.  [2] As you later hear to your great frustration, a recent influx of cheap silverware has dropped the price of much of your haul to little more than its value in Miring.  You do get 3 Ducats back, which after the cost of the additional ship hire still leaves you 1 Ducat in debt to the Guild.

Still, your traders follow your instructions and look at the trade prices; [6] A recent cessation of border skirmishes with a rival state has left weapon stocks impressively cheap - a mere 1 Ducat per shipment.  You buy out both shipments since you have the credit and the ships are hired for the return journey, making sure to purchase enough grain to keep the offending items covered.  [5]  On the trip back the ships make excellent time, evading any pirates and moving quickly enough to out-pace any competitors who might have the same idea.  [2+1]  The market here is still lucrative, promising at least 2.5 Ducats/shipment if you can get them past customs, [1+1] who despite their heavy distraction keeping the populace down do know enough to sift a long pole through what look like bins of grain.  [4] The official in question isn't as bothered about the security of the city as he is about his own pocket, though, and lets you off with a 1 Ducat "fine".  After paying him off, you sell the arms to your contacts in the city.

You are now 1 Ducat in pocket!
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 09:01:00 pm by Iituem »
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

CyberGenesis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2247 on: August 16, 2011, 07:41:50 pm »

(("Also the city is on fire" LAWLS..all off by itself, thats awesome. As if it's just some minor problem

HA! Terenos loots his own dukedom...hi-larious))
« Last Edit: August 16, 2011, 07:46:02 pm by CyberGenesis »
Everything below this line is a distant memory
------------------------------------------------------
Evil Genius - Round 1 - Concluded
Evil Genius - Round 2 - Scrapped
Planet@War: Starting Soon

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2248 on: August 16, 2011, 07:50:09 pm »

Actually, we were looting the nobles...

Ah well. 50/50 split Terenos?
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
  • My own avatar creeps me out.
    • View Profile
    • Not even internet famous
« Reply #2249 on: August 16, 2011, 07:57:40 pm »

Escape the city.
Slacker an illustrated story. Actually updated!?
Pages: 1 ... 148 149 [150] 151 152 ... 188