Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 188

Author Topic: You are King! (Spring 315a)  (Read 185762 times)

mr. macduggan

• Bay Watcher
  • HEY! LISTEN! HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
    • View Profile
Re: You are King! (Players welcome.)
« Reply #2145 on: August 14, 2011, 07:54:53 pm »

Who, me? I already work for Terenos.
Flooding the area with magma removes blood, dust, vomit, goo, mud, and dwarves.
Also, I'm composing digital music over in the Forum Games part of the forums!

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2146 on: August 14, 2011, 07:54:58 pm »

((Let's move to the newly made OOC thread, guys))

mr. macduggan

• Bay Watcher
  • HEY! LISTEN! HEY! HEY! LISTEN!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2147 on: August 14, 2011, 07:55:24 pm »

((OOH SHINY))
Flooding the area with magma removes blood, dust, vomit, goo, mud, and dwarves.
Also, I'm composing digital music over in the Forum Games part of the forums!

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2148 on: August 14, 2011, 08:02:12 pm »

Oh dear lord.  So much to cover.  First things first, the OOC thread now exists, so move the heck over there.  There's also a skeleton wiki in place over here, though it has barely anything on it yet because I've been very busy lately.

I'll do a post summary and adjudications in a little bit, but I think I'm going to need a stiff drink (or more likely a cup of tea) before I start.

I'll take care of my assessments of magic, magic-users and rules of magic in the new OOC thread as well, along with character application approvals.  You should now post new character applications in the OOC thread.

Edit:  So much to go through and not enough sleep.  I'll do a full post in the morning.  With luck I'll be able to sort out those maps at last as well.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 08:57:42 pm by Iituem »
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Mr. Dwarfinton

• Bay Watcher
  • This space has been left blank by the user.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2149 on: August 14, 2011, 08:11:50 pm »

EDIT: Ignore this, I didn't see the OOC thread.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2011, 08:57:26 pm by Mr. Dwarfinton »

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2150 on: August 14, 2011, 08:57:41 pm »

A young man entered the city that morning, riding on a black horse. He was twenty five years old, tall and slender. He had a sword to his side, and his clothes indicated that he was at least as rich as a knight, and a little bag of gold was at his belt. He had, however, nothing else. His horse, his sword, his clothes, and some gold. He crossed the city at a slow pace, until he reached the palace. There, he stopped in front of two guards. One of them took a step forward.

"Who are you, and what do you want?"

The man politely smiled at him, and answered. He had a soft, fluid voice that sounded like music.

"I am Jarod Thunderblade. Once, I was the most famous duellist of Miring, and they named me 'Thunderblade' because only one hit from my sword was needed to kill a man. I was rich, richer than most lords, and I could win battles simply by challenging the enemy champion to fight me... But when the war against Elbreth started, I knew the kingdom was doomed... And now Miring has fallen. I would like to meet the King. I do believe he knew my father, Lord Kelos, who was general before the reign of Erik. I lived here once, and even though I was far from home for a long time, now I'm back. If I cannot talk with the King, I would like to meet an advisor, at least..."

The guards hesitated. Always smiling, Jarod took a piece of his purse and threw it to the guard. The man took it and let him pass. His friend ran to the palace, and Jarod hoped it meant he was going to meet someone important. After all, who did'nt need a personnal duellist?

Jormundur

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2151 on: August 14, 2011, 09:34:16 pm »

Jormund is grateful for the money given to him by Dr. Johnson and once again returned to attempt to claim the land he's determined to claim as his.

Use the two ducats to try and claim the land in the Highlands.
I'm having money troubles so they disconnected my internet at home... No way to post outside of work. :\ Thankfully I work from 10 AM to 6 PM EST, though its 6:45 and I'm still at the office. (Manager, I can stay as long as I want, hehe)

...And yes, I'm here just to post on B12 in RP posts. Can't get geekier than that.

Mr. Pompular

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2152 on: August 15, 2011, 12:40:44 am »

Pompulion breathed a sigh of relief at the news that he wasn't to be beheaded on the spot, yet the warning did not come lightly; from now on his actions would have to be much more cautious. As the doctor beckoned the guard over, he simultanously bowed and took the single ducat in hand, "And may this be the start of a healthy partnership."

With the formalities out of the way Pompulion ordered everyone to leave the room as he prepared to operate, naturally however the guard was more then reluctant, "Now, now I assure you everything will remain in one piece. What remains to be seen is how many pieces this one will be." With that the guard quickly hurried out leaving only Pompulion and the patient. He closely scrutinzed Ehndras, and was quickly preparing the incantation when he could see the eyes twitch from beneath their lids, 'Such resilience, he might just make it out on his own.'

Pompulion examines Ehndras, trying to find a general location where the shadeling might have affixed itself. Otherwise before doing anything drastic, he waits as Ehndras tries to purge himself of the infection.

AussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • [Australian]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2153 on: August 15, 2011, 02:29:47 am »

Zandor rests heavily on the guard that is supporting him, Zandor turns pale as the blood loss is starting to take effect. He takes a large breath before speaking "My...Village is Klem, to the east on the Miring border. These bandits have been troubling us for some time, but they came in far greater numbers then we had previously thought." Zandor halts talking for a moment as a coughing fit takes over "Please....You must send some soldiers, kill the bastards"

ashton1993

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2154 on: August 15, 2011, 03:56:01 am »

The hunter looks down the sight of his bow pointing it at the elk, such a magnificent beast, it's head would be fit for a trophy in any nobles house, he notches an arrow, points and aims though is distracted by the piercing call of an eagle above, and then a bolt struck him through the heart.

Meng listened to the surroundings shortly after taking his shot, two calls from the eagle, he had hit. Running towards the sound he passes the elk places his left hand with the yellow jasper embedded onto it's forehead and communicating to it through magic "you owe me". His right arm too possesses strange abilities too, after being loped of during his days in the Elbrethian army the enite thing was replaced with a mechanical crossbow which is deadly accurate despite his blindness.

Backstory
Whilst fighting in battle under the rule of king Eric, a humble recruit was brutally injured in combat, his eyes had been both gouged out and his arm loped of. As soon as he came from thee field hospital he went of into the wilderness though not before stealing his commanders precious gem, a yellow jasper which little did either know contained magical properties.

He thought he would die there but one day a great bear found him, too tired to care Meng let it approach, who cared if he died? Instead of delivering the last blow the bear nuzzled the gem that Meng held in his hand and a strange sensation overcame the too. The bear growled and then in a perfectly clear voice said:
"What up fool?"
"..."

Years past and Meng learned how to be in touch with the wild, Meng embedded the gem into his hand and a passing metalsmith built him a mechanical crossbow for the missing arm. He protects the local wildlife and in return they fufill most or his simple requests, whenever he saw death he would place the gem on the forehead of the newly deceased and draw what energy he could to fuel is constant communication necessary for survival.

Companions
Percy
The eagle, a loyal companion of Meng, flying above his targets the eagle will let out a cry signaling the location of his enemies, on occasions he has also performed spy operations for Percy.

Buster
The first animal Meng communicated with, they share a cave which has now been spruced up with insulation, a few bits of decoration which one of them can't see and the other couldn't care less about and a few bits of furniture.

Powers
Communication with animals

Abilities
Meng is blind
Superb hearing
Crossbow for right arm

OOC: Well here's my second go at a character, what do you think? I was careful to obey the rules about magic witha power source and such. Also cheers for that wiki, are we free to edit pages on it/create ones relative to our character? Or do we have to wait a bit more first?

EDIT: Also only just saw the OOC thread I'll post this there now
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 06:44:27 am by ashton1993 »
Wow, that's actually really friggin' awesome looking.
That is brilliant.
That is hilarious, Ashton. I love it.
OMG yes!!!  Thank you!!!

Totally not a narcissist.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2155 on: August 15, 2011, 04:12:21 am »

((King Erik, not King thatkid. Besides that, I have no qualms))
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

ashton1993

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2156 on: August 15, 2011, 09:27:34 am »

((Okies my character has been approved and modified to fit in with what's fair and fits in with the game world most, the description is here:

http://youareking.wikia.com/wiki/Meng

and as it's now created time to start getting stuff done!  8)  :D ))

Meng, growing bored of his days has a wanderer heads to the nearest town seeking work from a noble, looking for any dirty work that needs doing as he yearns for action.

Look for work that needs doing by any noble, of any powerful standing, no matter what the agenda.
Wow, that's actually really friggin' awesome looking.
That is brilliant.
That is hilarious, Ashton. I love it.
OMG yes!!!  Thank you!!!

Totally not a narcissist.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2157 on: August 15, 2011, 09:47:34 am »

Quote from: Dr Johnston
Give Pompulion one ducat as a sign of faith. Give Jormund two ducats to help claim the land.

Quote from: Jormund
Wait and see if there's any way of getting help with the land. Also, see if he can learn anything else about tactics without the help of the veteran.

[6-1+2] With money you are able to pay for workers and tools and return to the valley before the start of winter and aggressively work to claim the land from nature.  Whether the demons are gone for good is uncertain, but they do not trouble you at all during this time and very soon you claim 1 parcel of land for yourself.  Furthermore, a very small deposit of gold is found in the soil.  All of it is exhausted within the week, but you regain the 2 Ducats you spent on the activity.

This sudden prosperity has attracted some unwanted attention.  A small neighbouring clan has moved into the area, armed with light axes.  They are making the claim that this land was theirs by ancient right and demand that you return it, plus the gold you dug out.

Quote from: Kytuzian
Continue making maps, but ensure that I have copies of all of them. Except the forbidden ones of course. Try to memorize those.

[3]  During your excursions you find time to search the lands below the Zimtar plateau.  Concealed amongst a heavy rockslide you find an ancient stone doorway sealed with a heavy slab, most likely some kind of tomb.  You mark its location with a simple X on a private map, as you are not quite able enough in memory skills to just memorise the entire map and location.

Quote from: Trubaldsome
Trubaldsome has the doctor examine his ailment, and attempt to find a cure. Also, find out his name...

[2] Dr Smith examines your condition and gives the same response as so many other doctors before.  He too mentions hearing of a 'Dr Johnston' from Brighthall who might have stumbled across a cure but otherwise cannot help you.

Soon you are called into a withdrawal to the northernmost islet of the city, trapping you in the army's stand...

Quote from: Manskinner
look in the city for important or less important badly guarded monks/priests/bishops/people of religious importance. When found send Corv and his men out in their monk costumes at night wearing skull masks. Assassinate the man, skin him and leave some ridiculous prophetic message in blood(something like: HEAR ME MORTALS AND HEED ME WELL, YOU HAVE INCITED THE WRATH OF JORMUNGUND) do it in a public place so people get scared. Afterwards sent the Radicals out again to preach. Be sure to get some Greek Fire which is used if escape is necessary...

[2] The only alchemist capable of making anything like what you describe left the city two years ago to seek employment with the king of Elbreth.  It looks like the Storm Coast still has the monopoly on Stormfire.

[6] Most of the important figures in the city are well guarded, but an opportunity does arise too tempting to pass up.  Although still well guarded, the camerlengo (the Archbishop's closest advisor and interim ruler of the city between elections to the Archbishopship) is known for regularly retreating to a secluded private chapel to pray in the evenings.

[3] You make up some cheap skull masks from masquerade masks supplied by a sympathetic taverner.  They're not horribly scary in their own right, but they'll do.

[6] You and three of your allies are able to locate the chapel and gain entry.  Sadly, not one of you has the slightest idea how to use a lockpick so you just break the door down, alerting the camerlengo and his three guards to your appearance and giving them enough time to draw their weapons.

Corv: +1 Weapon, +1 Armour, +1 Guard.  6/6hp
Camerlengo:  +1 Weapon, +1 Armour, +1 Numbers.  4/4hp
(The camerlengo himself is unarmed and unarmoured, but his guards are not.)

[6+3 vs 3+3]  You and your men rush the guards with your swords and axes, trying to bring them down before the camerlengo can try to escape.  One of them falls instantly. (Camerlengo 3hp)

[2+3 vs 1+3]  You encircle the guards, blocking the entrances and quickly butcher the second guardsman.  (Camerlengo 2hp)

The camerlengo has lost his numbers advantage.

[5+3 vs 2+2]  The last guard goes down, leaving the camerlengo bereft of support.  He drops to his knees and prays to God for mercy.

[6+3 vs 2]  It is not granted.  You get to the busy work of skinning the man (alive, for a fair portion of it) and paint the walls of the chapel with his blood.  It will no doubt be discovered in the morning.

[1+1]  As horrific as the message is, it achieves exactly the opposite effect of what you intended.  Rather than sowing dissent and causing fear to build support for the Jormundungists, popular opinion turns sharply against them and the Archbishop seizes upon the opportunity to declaim them publically, calling for the perpetrators to be found and brought to him dead or alive for punishment.

[5-1]  The Jormugundist preachers, despite the opposition of the general populace, use this threat to stir up their own supporters to fanatic levels.  [6] Several riots break out, but this only stirs the Archbishop to put his troops on high alert.  You are now unlikely to catch the guard by surprise with any tactics you pull.

Quote from: Tearakudo
Take assessment of the location of the remaining Miring 'fleet'. Make the other sloop known of our plans to leave, the suicide of staying, and the promise of REAL pirate looting

ALSO: Take inventory of the ship (captain's stash, etc)

Miring has two warships left after Terenos' utter devastation and mismanagement of the fleet, not counting the Nalia and the other privateer sloop.  [4] Your missive to the other sloop is received well and they agree to break formation and return to Suul, where their letters of marque are still valid, though they are unwilling to join you directly.

[1] There is almost nothing of value on the ship that the captain hasn't drunk or spent already, save the letter of marque from Suul.  Technically the letter is in his name, so you might have to wrangle the legality of it if you want to put to port in Suul without being attacked - especially since Suul is the only nation on this coastline that still has an intact navy right now.

Quote from: Locanil
Work on the commission.

[2+1]  Work continues at a snail's pace when you return, but it does at least continue.  You are now too far behind to possibly complete the contract within the appropriate time and thus automatically fail it.  The historian is very displeased with the lack of progress, but accepts your offer to complete the contract for free.

In the fullness of time, you do so, but without pay.  With the arrival of Winter, many of your scribes obtain work of their own, denying you the extra +1 to future rolls.

Quote from: Sir Joseph
((I have chain mail and a body guard unit... 1 man is not that much of a threat so I will...))
Kill the annoying thief
((and I am a proficient fighter))

As implied, the thief is not alone and you don't travel with more than a handful of your full guard at any one time.  The moment you draw your sword, the 'bystanders' on the street converge on your position, all drawing knives and clubs of their own.

Sir Joseph:  +1 Weapon, +1 Armour, +1 Guard.  6/6hp
Thieves:  +1 Weapon, +1 Numbers.  6/6hp

[2+3 vs 3+2]  You lash out with your sword, slicing open the belly of the thug in front of you.  At the same time his men rush your guards with their daggers and one of them manages to get in several hard jabs on one of the bodyguards before he could draw his weapon.  [Joseph 5hp, Thieves 5hp]

[4+3 vs 4+2]  You wade through the ensuing melee, murdering thieves left and right with your longsword as your guards hold their ground.  [Thieves 4hp]

[1+3 vs 1+2]  Someone throws dust into your eye and you start swinging blind, but in your chaotic slashing your opponents find it very hard to escape your blows. [1+3 vs 1+2], [1+3 vs 2+2]  By the time your eyes clear again, most of the thieves are already lying dead around you, though it appears that in your frenzy you did cut down one of your own men.  [Thieves 1hp, Joseph 4hp]

The remaining thieves [6-1 vs 1] flee into the backstreets rather than continue the fight.  You are left with your remaining bodyguard, two dying companions and a lot of dead or dying thieves scattered around you.

Quote from: Drua
Drua calls for her physician and asks him if he could spend the winter months healing her and seeking out an appropriate candidate for being the steward that would manage her estate and business.

A steward is easily picked out and the physician is happy to remain at your side to provide assistance.  Now that Winter is upon you, you should be able to walk aided with a pair of walking canes.

Quote from: Mahtan
All or nothing? Now why should I agree to that?  I've already won a handsome sum, and I doubt anything in your.. "collection" as you call it would even be worth what I have.

Get him to reveal the monkey so I can assess if it's even worth it.

[6]  Malcolm is not happy about the interruption to play, but he does accede and walks you through a cluttered room full of various possessions.  You pass the monkey in its cage and comment on it.  Malcolm explains that his father bought him the monkey as a childhood gift and that, although he could take or leave most of the possessions, he is very fond of it.  He notices your interest and comments that if you wanted to bet on that, he would need a bigger stake than just your pocketbook.

Quote from: Ehndras
Attempt to fight the infection/shadeling corruption myself, before enlisting the... 'questionable assistance' of the sorcerer who, might I add, will probably bring me a world of bloody pain.

Quote from: Pompulion
Pompulion examines Ehndras, trying to find a general location where the shadeling might have affixed itself. Otherwise before doing anything drastic, he waits as Ehndras tries to purge himself of the infection.

[4]  Ehndras though barely cognisant of his situation is not yet lost from the world.  Some subconscious part of him rebels violently against the creature that infests him and after a herculean struggle is successful in expelling it from his body.

To the amazement and horror of onlookers, a sort of black syrup starts to drip from the gash along Ehndras' leg.  It fizzes and bubbles, diffusing into a dark smoke.  [4] Pompulion, recognising this as the shadeling trying to take form, intervenes quickly and speaks a few careful words of power, binding and then banishing it from this world.  The black smoke seems to simply vanish into thin air.

[5]  The supernatural infection gone, Ehndras shows a remarkable improvement over the following weeks.  By the start of Winter he is conscious and well enough to move about on his own again with the aid of a walking stick, though his leg will remain splinted until the new year.

Quote from: Grandmaster Black
I read manning's tactics as an attempt to hide and then cause as much damage in the rear of the enemy force y striking at officers. I'm not sure about spliting the enemy force so much as flanking it at an opportune time to cause confusion(They should be considered not linked up with our main group I suppose?).

Battlewise I believe the main force should pull back and let the Preston force combine. That way we will only have to defend a single Riverbank(which should give us a big advantage terrain wise) against their army and they won't be able to bring their full force against us effectively. The Pikemen will protect against their calvary charges.

Tactics wise we should probably aim to conserve our forces and prevent them from negating our terrain advantage (I don't know how easy it would be for them to get around a river.)

If we had the time it would be very cool to use an engineer to set the bridge to collapse after half their forces had crossed trapping them and forcing the other group to move around or retreat. Otherwise plenty of stakes and ditches should help to protect us.

If any other commanders have any other tactics to add or clarify please feel free. Maybe with the surprise Spirit help we might pull off a close victory! Otherwise prepare to be fit for chains.))

Start planning the above tactics by pulling back to a riverbank and prepanning for the Preston Army

The Battle of Preston

Preparations

Since trying to retreat west would allow the smaller force to flank you and east would bring you straight into the path of the main Prestoner army, you withdraw to the northwestern islet of the delta, burning all but one bridge to maintain control.  This puts you in the awkward position of being completely unable to retreat, but that wasn't in the cards anyway, was it?

Manning's crew holds back from the advancing army until they have joined with the main Prestoner army, putting them in an ideal position to flank or separate portions of the army (+1 circumstance bonus to the Tactics roll).  They do send the two engineering crews on ahead, who meet up with the Grandmaster's troops before the Prestoners are ready for their attack.  It costs the remaining 2 Ducats of the loot to forcibly purchase/seize the equipment needed from the looters, but the two engineers set up sufficient traps to grant a +2 bonus to one round of combat.  On that same round they will also grant a rare +4 Tactics bonus to splitting the enemy's troops by collapsing the bridge.

Forces in Play

Elbreth Main:  1 Piker, 1 Archer, 2 Heavy Inf, 3 Infantry  [Tactics: +0/+4 to split forces in half]
Manning:  1 Ambush [Tactics: +1]
Preston:  10 Infantry (1 Tactician), 3 Catapults, 1 Cavalry  [Tactics: +3 w/ Cavalry]

Round One Tactics

Manning:  Taking out the officers means taking out the leadership.  You employ the crack nature of your crew to try and divide King Philip's guard from the rest of the army whilst they attack the Elbrethan main body.  [Req 5, Roll 4]  Alas, Philip's unit is well concealed within the body of his forces, leaving Manning's crew at a disadvantage.  They will be forced to fight with the rest of the army for a round of battle before they can try this again (at a -1 tactical disadvantage).

Elbreth:  The Grandmaster attempts to conserve his troops at the start of the battle [Req 6, Roll 3] but the brilliant tactical leadership of King Philip's command unit more than enable the opposing army to compensate, worsening the tactical disadvantage of the army to -2.  The engineers are unwilling to collapse the bridge whilst this dangerous leader is still joined with the rest of his army.

Preston:  Prince Karl on horseback works to lead the rest of his troops to negate the terrain advantage presented by the river [Req 2, Roll 6] and with the superb leadership of the King directs them to several shallower points of the river to force a crossing.

+1 Bridge Advantage negated!
Magical Intervention: [2] As the battle starts, heavy rain begins to thunder down upon the city, forcing the river to churn and flow.  Elbreth gains a +1 Weather advantage whilst the storm continues.

Round One Battle:  5+10+3+2 vs 3+4+2+4+3+1-2+1 - Clear Defeat  (2 Elbrethan Infantry lost, 1 Prestoner Infantry lost)

Round Two Tactics

Manning:  Manning's crew risk another attempt to try and isolate Philip's soldiers, [Req 5, Roll 1] but once more only put themselves in an unfavourable position.  (-1 tactical disadvantage)

Black:  As major an advantage as Philip still has, Black doesn't reorganise his troops further to try and conserve them (thus risking a continued tactical disadvantage) and just pulls them into the best stance to keep continuing the fight.  The engineers are insistent that they hold their ground a little longer before collapsing the bridge.

Philip:  [Req 2, Roll 5] Philip's troops continue to ford the river directly, negating the advantage it presents.

+1 Bridge Advantage negated!
Intervention: [6]  The storm worsens, the overflowing rivers turning into violent flash floods.  The Weather advantage increases to +2 whilst the storm continues and lightning strikes in several place, decimating an entire regiment of Prestoner infantry.  The dark stormclouds above start to swirl ominously.

Round Two Battle:  3+8+3+2 vs 4+4+2+4+1+1-1+2 - Narrow Victory  (2 Prestoner infantry lost, 1 Elbrethan infantry lost)

Round Three Tactics

Manning:  [Req 5, Roll 6] At last, Manning's crew are able to isolate King Philip and his guard from the rest of the army.  With their leadership separated, the tactical side of the battle is likely to turn.

Black:  The engineers see their chance and collapse the bridge, [Req 4, Roll 5] splitting the Prestoner army in half!  The cavalry and infantry are trapped on the islet with the Elbrethans whilst the catapults are forced to try and fjord the river!

With the bridge gone, crossing the River now incurs a -2 Terrain penalty.

Philip:  With the collapse of the bridge and separation from their King, Prince Karl tries to spur his soldiers on through the river [Req 4, Roll 2] but lacks the tactical ability of his father.  They for once are suffering the tactical disadvantage instead!

Intervention: [4] A cyclone forms from the heavy winds, a spear of dark cloud descending from the heavens.  It plunges into the river, temporarily worsening the Weather disadvantage to the crossing troops to a deadly +3.

Round Three Battle
Manning vs Philip:  6+3 vs 3+1 - Crushing Victory (Prince Philip's Tactician Infantry regiment is destroyed!)
Black vs Karl:  1+5+2-1 vs 6+4+2+4+2+3 - Crushing Victory (2 Prestoner Infantry lost)

With the pact completed the spirits leave the field of play, but the effects of the storm will persist unguided until they exhaust themselves.

Round Four Tactics

Manning rejoins the main body of forces, adding his crew's ability to Tactics rolls.

Black:  With the advantage clearly back on your side, you work to conserve your troops [Req 4, Roll 6] to prevent losses on a victory.

Karl attempts to flee, but cannot readily do so because of the islet.  The catapults and their engineers, separated from the doomed force, escape whilst the remainder of the force is trapped on the isle.  They go on the defensive, but do not gain the terrain advantage from the river.  Since this is technically open ground, Karl is at least able to employ his cavalry successfully.

Side Effects: [3] Because the Elbrethan forces are now on the offensive, they sustain the weather disadvantage.  The cyclone remains out of the way, leaving them with a mere -2 disadvantage.

Round Four Battle:  2+3+3 vs 1+4+2+4+1-2 - Clear Victory (2 Prestoner infantry lost)

Round Five Tactics

[Req 4, Roll 5]  Black continues to conserve his forces.  Karl makes a desperate bid to flank his enemy for a final chance at escape (Req 5, Roll 3) but just makes his situation worse.

Side Effects: [5] The cyclone whips around, worsening the Elbrethan weather disadvantage to -3 but butchering the last Prestoner infantry regiment.

Round Five Battle:  1+3 vs 6+4+2+4+1-3 - Victory (1 Prestoner Cavalry lost)

Side Effects:  [2] The cyclone peters out, but heavy flooding and rain traps Elbreth's forces on the islet, enabling the enemy catapult crews to escape the field of battle.  By the time the storm finally wears out they are long gone and any tracks washed away by the rain.

Nevertheless, this has been a victory.  All 3 Regular Infantry units have been lost (all remaining Crown infantry, all but one of Draven's guard/infantry) but both King Philip and Prince Karl have been slain in battle leaving the city entirely under your control.  You may loot or capture the city at your leisure.

Winter draws on soon enough, and with it come the late reinforcements from Miring; three regiments led by Terenos d'Avistral and Sir Taric the Just.

Manning: [1+4] The battle was long and vicious.  Frankly, you were more concerned about trying to stay alive than working on your sword technique, but the sheer length of it has no doubt caused some of the direct lessons to stick firmly in your mind.  [You now have 40 Swordplay points.]

Quote from: Surviving Elbrethan Forces in Preston
1 Guard Heavy Infantry (Draven)
1 Guard Heavy Infantry (Black)
1 Guard Pike Infantry (yl Marchis)
1 Guard Archers (Trubaldsome)
1 Crew Ambushers (Manning)

1 Guard Infantry (Terenos)
2 Crown Infantry (Crown/Taric)

OOC: The remaining infantry units are the upgraded type (1 Piker, 1 Archer, 2 Heavy Guard) but only the Pikers are known to be Auron's guard.  The other units have not been 'claimed' by specific nobles as being their own, so I have semi-randomly assigned them.

Winter is now upon you.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

NoahTophatz

• Bay Watcher
  • ^ is a picture of a top hat with eyes
    • View Profile
Re: You are King!
« Reply #2158 on: August 15, 2011, 10:10:46 am »

Some strange people arrive at the palace and present a letter to the guard which states that they are to be let in.

Guard with Kytuzian: "Well what do you know some ruins, well time to head back for winter"
Nahk state: cold
The Nahk is the leader of my clan aka me

Check the quality of the bedrock uncovered while digging graves
Chuck the dead bodies down the ravine
The guard 'escort' Kytuzian back to the cave and report the ruins he found.
My raiders in Suul will search for a farm or something and capture some people and maybe a bit of loot

Spoiler: Ztah (Zimtar raiders) (click to show/hide)

Commander Zacmar learning progress: arrived

Commander Zacmar troop learning progress: arrived
« Last Edit: August 15, 2011, 10:16:41 am by NoahTophatz »
New words are made by general useage
Mutie? My eldrtich fluffykins? He is a graceful and proud creature! That may or may not be the essence of every nightmare since the beginning of time and will cause you to go mad by being near it.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are King! (Winter 314)
« Reply #2159 on: August 15, 2011, 10:15:32 am »

Go loot the nobles estates.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll
Pages: 1 ... 142 143 [144] 145 146 ... 188