Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 188

Author Topic: You are King! (Spring 315a)  (Read 185776 times)

filiusenox

• Bay Watcher
  • Prince of Light
    • View Profile
Re: You are King!
« Reply #1395 on: August 04, 2011, 05:32:28 pm »

((Anywho i wonder how Eric feels about torturing tratiors...))
"No, I'm being obstinate for the sake of I hate you."

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1396 on: August 04, 2011, 05:39:56 pm »

OOC:
Damn, ok Kaguro.
If you want, I can give you a quick run-down of what's gone on lately (It's not necessary that your character be up-to-date on most of what's going on anyways). Or you can stop playing, and that's fine too. If you ever want to come back, you're welcome in the thread.

As far as who's leading the Offensive forces into Preston now, I'd have it be Grand Master Black but he hasn't posted in about a week now. So I guess we'll see how this little deal with Trubaldsome and Taric goes, because now it's down to choosing between Marquess yl Marchis or Trubaldsome to be leading those forces as I know Yoink is still around and I think I saw Digital Hellhound post recently.

And yes, as far as this time warp stuff goes I'd like to put an end to it. As Little said, it can be easier to follow when you only pay attention to one or two characters but it can get pretty convoluted. I'm just glad the search function in this forum doesn't have a daily limit like some others and the cool down is only 5 seconds or so.

I'm thinking maybe we move through events in "chunks", with people being unable to do things chronologically further ahead or behind someone else. Though that can't happen till the beginning of the next game year, it would mean that people only get a few actions before they need to wait for every other character to catch up.
...which could slow down the game, but it would also prevent weird time shenanigans.

Agreed.  Shall we implement 'seasons' to divide the years into nice, distinct turns?  The time warp stuff is starting to confuse even me now, and I've got to read everything.  For those who don't have to follow everything, though:

A rough guide to 314a

Spring
The King returns from Eelspine, where he deals with the challenges by Trubaldsome/Erika vs General Kaguro and also awards titles and privileges.
A summoner appears, fails to banish a demon correctly and is killed by the King, wounding King Erik's hand grievously.
Terenos d'Avistral returns from Miring around the same time as Drua Drummel, reporting on the chaotic events there.
The King opts to send military aid to attack Preston directly.  Several lords agree to join the force, which is led by General Kaguro.
The exotic chronicler Locanil joins Erik's court, amongst other new additions.
The alchemist/engineer Mahtan finalises his invention of gunpowder and develops a ballista design for use.
Sir Taric attacks Trubaldsome based on Erika's testimony.
The palace is set on fire.
[Kaguro & Trubaldsome receive some floggings.]
[Kaguro is wedded to Lady Erika, bringing him into the succession in a minor capacity.]

Summer
Terenos & Drua set off for Miring.
The Royal Army sets off for Preston.
Taric's regiment sets off for Eelspine.
Terenos arrives in Miring, loses his forces, meets up with Manning, breaks the siege of Miring.
Drua engages in a suicidal strike on one of the Preston forward posts.
The Royal Army is stopped at the border to Preston by a Prestoner army.
Terenos has Miring's fleet engage in some suicidal runs.

Autumn
(The Royal Army would arrive at Preston's walls.)
(The Preston Army would probably arrive at Miring's walls.)

The only timewarp things that haven't happened yet are Kaguro's wedding & flogging and Trubaldsome's flogging.  Once we resolve that and the battle at Preston's border, we can jump straight to Autumn and everything becomes linear again.

Everything happening outside Elbreth (the Weylander wars, the Nakh raids) hasn't been mentioned because it could fit in at any point in the year and not make a damned difference to the cause-and-effect of events.

The whole spies/Banquo thing (the character was invented 3 pages ago, the plot was not) was set up at the start of the year with the Espionage event.  Nobody pursued it, so the Army has been taking unknown penalties from spies since then.  It hasn't really had much effect on the timeline.  I made up the name for the hell of it, but the important point is that he was a member of Lady Drua's bodyguard.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 05:42:15 pm by Iituem »
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #1397 on: August 04, 2011, 05:46:29 pm »

OOC:

I like the season's idea. Sounds good to me.
I was also going to allow the floggings to take place off-screen, unless Kaguro or Yoink asked for it to be otherwise, so that we could just get on with things. Also, I had assumed that Preston being able to meet our forces at the border was the result of the aforementioned spies; when I said "appeared for the first time" I meant that it was Banquo's first appearance, not the espionage story-line's.

I do think it's important for the Nahk Raids to take place during the time-line though. Perhaps the raid on Stonewood was sometime Late Spring, with their arrival at Eelspine itself being Early Spring?

As for Erik and torture, it can be assumed that Erik views torture as dishonorable and thus will have no part in it. Of course, what he doesn't know doesn't hurt him, and he'll likely be more than willing to send this Banquo fellow away with Kain since the Sheepstead dungeons are currently useless.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 05:53:43 pm by thatkid »
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1398 on: August 04, 2011, 05:57:02 pm »

Done.  For the sake of expediency, we will consider the floggings read - unless Kaguro or Yoink want to describe them separately.  Unless you decide otherwise in your declamations, Trubaldsome's regiment thus makes it to Preston and Taric's makes it to Eelspine.  There's still technically the fallout from the fire for Erik to deal with, but after that...

Once the Battle at Preston's Border has been resolved, the season will progress to Autumn and the war will continue.  Any other actions will now take place in Autumn to avoid confusion.

Quote from: Battle Conditions
Forces en route to Preston

[3-1]  The king's forces reach the Preston border, but their presence apparently has not gone unnoticed.  Indeed, more than unnoticed, it is almost as if the enemy knew exactly where they were going to be.  A significant force meets you at the border of Preston and Elbreth, comprising of 4 infantry regiments and 1 cavalry regiment led by Prince Karl of Preston.  The prince rides to the border and signals for parley.  Should the leader of the army meet him, he delivers his message.

"Gentle soldiers of Elbreth, we have no quarrel with your people and no designs upon your lands.  No doubt you have heard ill rumour of our intent, so allow me to enlighten you; we go to war with Miring on a legitimate matter of honour that neither concerns you nor requires your intervention.  We have documents - letters written by the former king and his mistress - proving the illegitimacy of the present king of Miring.  With all other heirs having fled the kingdom or else disqualified by reason of their minority or disability, my brother holds the closest claim to the throne by marriage.  We have taken on this duty, apportioned by God and reason, to place the citizens of Miring under legitimate royal rule.

"I repeat that we have no desire to fight you, and indeed would even appreciate your aid in restoring the legitimate succession of Miring.  However, should you cross this border we will take it as an act of war and respond accordingly."

The plateau where you meet is only lightly wooded, giving no advantage to either side and permitting the use of cavalry.  You have a numerical advantage, but even by the previous year's records this should not be their full army.

[3] Unfortunately, there aren't many advantages to be had.  There is a small hill where you could try and take position for a height advantage, but only your own cavalry would have a chance of beating the Preston cavalry in a race to take it (separating it from the rest of the army).  Similarly the sparse woodland clumps into some fairly dense copses and you could try and take up a defensive position in them for an extra advantage, but this would seriously cut down your maneuverability when it comes to the fight itself, negating cavalry bonuses (assuming they were used in that part of the battle).  In either case, you would need to beat the enemy to the position or they would gain the advantage instead.

All your shortbow archers are trained in lighting their arrows on fire, though beyond the added morale impact this isn't as effective as it would be in besieging a camp or town.  The enemy will likely try such tricks of their own.

Quote from: Preston's Forces
1 Cavalry [Cavalry]
4 Infantry

Quote from: Royal Army
1 Cavalry [Cavalry] (Crown)
3 Infantry (Crown)
2 Guard Reg [Inf] (Draven)
1 Infantry (Draven)
1 Guard [Inf] (yl Marchis)
1 Guard [Inf] (Trubaldsome)
2 Guard [Inf] (Black)

Or:  1 Cavalry, 10 Infantry.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1399 on: August 04, 2011, 07:03:49 pm »

You've been pointed toward a bucket brigade. There's really only one thing to do.

>Grab a bucket, extinguish some sick fires.

Silas is already a bit nervous about dealing with large amounts of water, but he figures he'll be fine as long as nobody throws a bucket on him by accident... or not by accident.
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,

KaguroDraven

• Bay Watcher
  • Forward!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1400 on: August 04, 2011, 07:18:58 pm »

I'll stay in for now I suppose.

If none of my fellow lords have any objections, attack the enemy
"Those who guard their back encounter death from the front." - Drow Proverb.
I will punch you in the soul if you do that again.
"I'm going to kill another dragon and then see if I can't DUAL-WIELD DRAGONS!
Because I can"-WolfTengu

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1401 on: August 04, 2011, 07:27:01 pm »

((None whatsoever. Destroy them. You have a ..significant advantage. Unless they endeavor to split your forces, but..still. You can win this mate. And make things much easier for me and my forces.))
But despite what you've been told, I once had a soul. Left somewhere behind...

Mr. Pompular

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1402 on: August 04, 2011, 11:48:53 pm »

This was his chance, his first chance in many seasons at making human contact, and maybe a name for himself. Pompulion acted quickly, the shadlings would not be able to help themselves with food about. It appeared as if he rose from the shadow itself, he loudly proclaimed several words of power to attempt to drive the shadlings back. All the while he madly gestuculated in their language to return back to camp.

Pompulion forces back his own shadlings from the beleaugered hunters.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1403 on: August 05, 2011, 12:07:17 am »

Trubaldsome, once more posessing some shreds of dignified appearance after a pinch of snuff, a quick comb of his hair and a brushing off of his clothes, swept up to the king, his expression grave.
"Your Majesty, this man," He leveled his arm towards Taric, "Has made an attempt, a very-nearly sucessful attempt, on my life." He wordlessly raised his other arm, the thick cloth sleeve falling to reveal his bruised hand, and then gestured to the ever-present Waery, who, still without medical attention, and still carrying Trubaldsome's pile of salvage, looked rather pained. "Look at what he did!" He turned his gaze back to Taric.
"He barged into my room, with no appointment nor justification whatsoever, with a band of ruffians, and would have doubtless killed me unprepared if not for the actions of brave Waery here." He nodded once more towards his manservant.
He turned back to the King, spreading his hands helplessly. "First Kaguro, and now this. My Lord, I am beginning to think your advisors have some deep-running dislike of we from Miring. I for one shall be glad when we march to war; I least then I shall supposedly know whom are my friends, and whom are my foes."
That long speech took a toll on his ravaged mind, and, appearing to the world simply overwhelmed by the excitement, he took a deep pinch of snuff and sat down once more.

Simply explain what happened, jabbing my finger accusingly at Taric. Oh, and leave out that bit about how the fire started.

And as for the flogging, (whenever in time that happens) Trubaldsome turns up very, very stoned, with Waery supporting him, thanks to that package from Drua.

((I just try and keep up with things involving me. :P Otherwise it gets even more confusing... ))
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Mr. Pompular

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1404 on: August 05, 2011, 12:37:33 am »

((So this makes it the second court session on account of how everyone seems to hate Trubaldsome.  :P ))

NoahTophatz

• Bay Watcher
  • ^ is a picture of a top hat with eyes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1405 on: August 05, 2011, 01:00:13 am »

The Nahk of the Zimtar raider clan is glad for the news of the raid going perfectly.
Nahk state: very happy
The Nahk is the leader of my clan aka me

use both regiments to search for suitable land

Spoiler: Ztah (Zimtar raiders) (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 01:15:02 am by NoahTophatz »
New words are made by general useage
Mutie? My eldrtich fluffykins? He is a graceful and proud creature! That may or may not be the essence of every nightmare since the beginning of time and will cause you to go mad by being near it.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1406 on: August 05, 2011, 01:03:51 am »

((I'm guessing you mean suitable?))
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

NoahTophatz

• Bay Watcher
  • ^ is a picture of a top hat with eyes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1407 on: August 05, 2011, 01:06:09 am »

((I'm guessing you mean suitable?))
yeah i was a bit destracted while writing that
New words are made by general useage
Mutie? My eldrtich fluffykins? He is a graceful and proud creature! That may or may not be the essence of every nightmare since the beginning of time and will cause you to go mad by being near it.

Lord Allagon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1408 on: August 05, 2011, 11:22:13 am »

((I would like to join this. Could anyone tell me how to?))
Quote from: narhiril
Quote from: Putnam
Yes, they do not need booze, they can work entirely off of water.
Freaks.
Quote from: Kaplahworm
Quote from: Garath
I'm pretty sure he'd move diagonally if he could.
You would think that, but the guy thought encasing himself in fire was a good idea.
Quote from: Jake
I therefore wish rectal cancer on your senior management.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1409 on: August 05, 2011, 11:25:17 am »

((Really, you can join however you like! Just write some sort of intro for your character, whoever that may be.  :)
Just have them turn up somewhere in the gameworld, and do just about whatever you want! :D ))
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: 1 ... 92 93 [94] 95 96 ... 188