Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 188

Author Topic: You are King! (Spring 315a)  (Read 185055 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: You are King!
« Reply #1155 on: July 30, 2011, 08:49:13 pm »

As the guard crumpled to the ground with a groan of pain, Waery, putting aside the pain from his cut arm, whirled around to spot the wide-eyed Lord Trubaldsome, retreating back from behind his desk as Taric advanced upon him, holding his sword a little unsteadily in a shaking hand.
His lord was injured. Had to get out now. After a brief glance back towards the doorway to check the rest of Taric's men were held at bay, and not about to stab him in the back, Waery looked over the scene swiftly, assessing it. After a moment he strode over to the wreckage of the desk and grabbed up the rather-excessive bottle of oil Trubaldsome had purchased for his snuffbox, turned, opened the stopper and poured it out across the smooth tiled floor, the liquid heading for Taric's feet from behind.
Then, whether or not it works, Waery is given little choice but to rush past to Trubaldsome, keeping Taric at bay with his sword as he drags the terrified noble out of the room, and heading outside.
Trubaldsome, for his part, was rather unhappy about this whole thing, and as his sword was knocked aside and this angry, blood-thirsty assassin with the big sword began to back him into the corner, he began to hyperventilate, his frightened eyes roaming aimlessly about the room as he jabbed his sword at Taric.
"No... No no no no no!" He managed to half-shriek, half-sob, almost having a stroke before he saw Waery finally approach.

Waery, making sure no-one's about to attack him from behind, grabs up Trubaldsome's flask of oil and tips it across the floor towards Taric's feet to (hopefully) slip him up. Then, regardless of the result, he charges in past Taric to grab Trubaldsome, fending him off as he drags the panicking noble out of the room.

((Well, he roleplayed it as pretty much leaving Erika and riding straight over to pester Trubaldsome, didn't he? I knew I should have installed that trapdoor to a spiked pit outside my door. I just wonder who lives on the floor below...
EDIT: Oh, and; it'd be hilarious if the unnamed Elbrethian girl that Reg guy is taking to Weyland was Erika! :D ))
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 10:10:32 pm by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

NoahTophatz

• Bay Watcher
  • ^ is a picture of a top hat with eyes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1156 on: July 30, 2011, 10:07:38 pm »

The Nahk of the Zimtar raider clan is glad of the news of a large flat area that an outpost could be built on.
Finally a place where we can build some proper buildings to combat this infernal cold, you there tell some of peasents go to the nearest town in the Elspine and purchase digging tools and get some scouts to search for armies north of here but stay in the elspine and stay out of sight we don't want the kingdom to know we are here"
Nahk state: content
Send some goat herders to the elspine towns to purchase digging and mining tools
build an outpost in the flat area
Send scout to search for other armies north of here while still in the elspine

Spoiler: Ztah (Zimtar raiders) (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 06:36:56 am by NoahTophatz »
New words are made by general useage
Mutie? My eldrtich fluffykins? He is a graceful and proud creature! That may or may not be the essence of every nightmare since the beginning of time and will cause you to go mad by being near it.

Mr. Dwarfinton

• Bay Watcher
  • This space has been left blank by the user.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1157 on: July 30, 2011, 11:57:00 pm »

The Doctor had a look of frustration on his face when he heard that they knew nothing of the enemy. "I guess we'll have to attempt to take them out with sheer force, eh?" He said to no one in particular. Turning to Donald he began talking again, "Go get your soldiers ready for the battle. Tomorrow we'll attack. Tell your men that I want two regiments attacking from the south, two attacking from the north and the rest going head on." And with that McJohnston turned and walked out of room. He returned to his soldiers and told them the plan. "You'll be attacking head on. Don't try to be a hero, eh? Good. Ready up, we leave early tomorrow." The commander returned to his second in-command, and finished discussing the war plans.

Action: Attack the McEwans. Use the same strategy detailed in the post. Two regiments flanking from one direction, two more flanking from another and two attack head on.

I think this was missed or I missed a post about it.

King_of_the_weasels

• Bay Watcher
  • My own avatar creeps me out.
    • View Profile
    • Not even internet famous
« Reply #1158 on: July 31, 2011, 04:51:06 am »

((still waiting on a word from whoever about that letter. Lot's of people trying to get me to do stuff for them, not realizing I serve the crown *tsk tsk*))
Slacker an illustrated story. Actually updated!?

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1159 on: July 31, 2011, 05:06:14 am »

((Well lets say ,hypothetically, the king were killed, exiled, or imprisoned; who would you serve? I'm not planning any kind rebellion of course; Locanil's a loyal kingsman! (that and I'm a nobody))
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

NoahTophatz

• Bay Watcher
  • ^ is a picture of a top hat with eyes
    • View Profile
« Reply #1160 on: July 31, 2011, 06:40:28 am »

updated my post
New words are made by general useage
Mutie? My eldrtich fluffykins? He is a graceful and proud creature! That may or may not be the essence of every nightmare since the beginning of time and will cause you to go mad by being near it.

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
« Reply #1161 on: July 31, 2011, 09:28:13 am »

EDIT: Oh, and; it'd be hilarious if the unnamed Elbrethian girl that Reg guy is taking to Weyland was Erika! :D ))

OOC:yeah that was more or less what i had in mind for Reg as he was making his way for naught at the moment.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1162 on: July 31, 2011, 11:46:00 am »

The Doctor had a look of frustration on his face when he heard that they knew nothing of the enemy. "I guess we'll have to attempt to take them out with sheer force, eh?" He said to no one in particular. Turning to Donald he began talking again, "Go get your soldiers ready for the battle. Tomorrow we'll attack. Tell your men that I want two regiments attacking from the south, two attacking from the north and the rest going head on." And with that McJohnston turned and walked out of room. He returned to his soldiers and told them the plan. "You'll be attacking head on. Don't try to be a hero, eh? Good. Ready up, we leave early tomorrow." The commander returned to his second in-command, and finished discussing the war plans.

Action: Attack the McEwans. Use the same strategy detailed in the post. Two regiments flanking from one direction, two more flanking from another and two attack head on.

Fortunately, none of the forces you are employing have any special training (e.g. Ambush training) that would require you to specify how you were intending to split up your forces in detail.  In the end you and the Jarl's personal guard strike from the north, the Jarl's Blôdvindrs take the southern flank and the McMurrays agree to perform the charge.

[6]  You all prayed that the McKinleys would not send forces to aid the McEwans and your prayers were answered, though not in the way you might have wished.  By the time your forces arrive on the scene, it becomes apparent that the McKinleys have a similar tolerance for weakness to the Jarl - rather than risk losing more land to Manskinner's advance, they have butchered the crippled McEwan army, enslaved the locals and reinforced the region with their own troops.  You are now fighting 3 McKinley regiments instead of the 2 McEwan regiments you were expecting.  If you don't break them, they will use the land to raise more troops for their next strike - just as you were planning to.

[5]  Your armies are able to pull off the flanking attack most effectively, allowing you to combat each individual McKinley regiment with two of your own.  Moreover, the flanking attack limits their ability to use the high ground effectively, so only the central regiment retains the +1 bonus to defense.  [On a weaker roll, one or both the other regiments would have retained their terrain bonus, potentially making the battle harder than a straight charge would have been.  With a perfect success, only the original high ground advantage is retained.]

Manskinner vs McKinley: Battle for McEwan Lands

[5+2 vs 6+1]  The fight on the northern flank turns into a meat grinder as neither the iron-hard honour of the McKinley clansmen nor the furious bloodthirstiness of the Jarl's personal guard break.  The fight is won through sheer attrition, with the McKinleys fighting to the last man and the attackers claiming victory through having men still standing.  (1 regiment lost, either side.  Pick either Jarl's personal guard or McJohnston's personal guard to die.)

[6+2 vs 6+2]  The central charge is led by Donald McMurray and repelled by one of the McKinley clan chief's cousins.  The defenders are able to retain the high ground despite the flanking attacks to either side and neither army's morale is willing to break.  Once again, victory is only claimed on a technicality when both sides have fought to exhaustion or extinction.  (1 regiment lost, either side.  1 McMurray clan dies.)

[3+2 vs 6+1]  The Blôdvindrs charging the southern flank are too used to simple hit-and-run tactics and evading combat; their will when the meat hits the metal proves insufficient.  They fight well to start with, preventing the enemy from using their ground advantage, but soon enough their morale breaks and they rout.  The McKinley clansmen chase after them, butchering them to a man but also exposing their own weak rears to McMurrays from the central fight - they are slaughtered, but not before the Blôdvindrs are wiped out.  (Both sides annihilated, 2 Blôdvindrs wiped out.)

The day draws to a close, [3] with only a scant few survivors from either side.  No prisoners of worth are taken from the McMurrays - the noble cousin was slain during the charge.  Donald and McJohnston both will carry some scars from the fight, but nothing debilitating.  [4+1]  McJohnston tends to the wounded following the fight.  Casualties will be heavy, but he can save enough of the broken Blôdvindrs for a single regiment.  They will become available again in the new year, requiring their upkeep cost as normal but not the hiring cost (i.e. you get them back in the new year and don't have to hire a replacement).  [6]  In a measure of compensation it appears that the McEwans were wealthy enough and, when you take into consideration the extra loot and equipment brought in by the McKinleys, you sack some 6 Ducats' worth of treasure after the battle.

Manskinner has 2 regiments remaining (1 McMurray, 1 personal guard), but has gained 4 parcels of McEwan land and 6 Ducats.  1 regiment of Blôdvindr raiders survives, wounded, and will heal in the new year.

Battle Tactics:  I will take battle tactics into account where appropriate (e.g. flanking, splitting up armies to take them down piecemeal), but the attempts will be subject to a roll.  Failures might end up with your own army being divided and subject to the same penalties.

OOC:  Wow.  McKinleys rolled triple sixes.  Some days the RNG gods are just against you.
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

No slaughtering every man, woman and child we see just to teleport to the moon.

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1163 on: July 31, 2011, 11:59:43 am »

Waery, making sure no-one's about to attack him from behind, grabs up Trubaldsome's flask of oil and tips it across the floor towards Taric's feet to (hopefully) slip him up. Then, regardless of the result, he charges in past Taric to grab Trubaldsome, fending him off as he drags the panicking noble out of the room.

[5]  The oil spreads across the floor, though not as much as you would have hoped.  The gambit nearly fails, but Taric spies Weary approaching from behind and moves to intercept him.  It is only his change of footing that puts Taric into the oil's path, causing the armoured knight to slip on the flask and topple to the ground with a resounding crash.

[3+1]  Waery grabs Trubaldsome, taking care not to step on the oil as he passes the flailing Sir Taric.  Trubaldsome gibbers slightly in pianic as Waery bundles him into his own quarters, [5] which fortunately border a low section of roof near the stables.  Waery forces open the window boards and pushes his master onto the roof first, checking behind him.  Sir Taric regains his footing again around this point, but they will have a clear lead if he gives chase.

Meanwhile, the struggle to keep the door shut is coming to a head, with the full force of Trubaldsome's regiment trying to force the door open whilst the remainder of Taric's guard try to hold it shut.  On the other hand, the rest of Taric's regiment are only in the barracks, a handful of doors distant.  If Taric was to call them into the fray, he could hold off the regiment long enough to chase after Trubaldsome with his remaining free guard, but this would mean a pitched battle between the two regiments.  Otherwise it might be wiser to pull back and flee through another route before the flood of soldiers breaks into the room.

Sir Taric:  Call in the rest of your regiment and chase after Trubaldsome, or perform a retreat and avoid the confrontation expanding?

[6]  Reg, you are halfway to Weyland when the wench slung over your back wakes up.  She screams a lot, so you knock her out again, but a moment after you actually think about what she was screaming.  It would appear that you've kidnapped one of the King of Elbreth's close relatives.

Lady Erika has been kidnapped.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 12:03:02 pm by Iituem »
Let's Play Arcanum: Of Steamworks & Magic Obscura! - The adventures of Jack Hunt, gentleman rogue.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1164 on: July 31, 2011, 12:00:58 pm »

Call in the regiment!
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1165 on: July 31, 2011, 12:38:07 pm »

Quantum Uncertainty:  Due to tachyon emissions playing havoc with the time stream, the existence of Trubaldsome's regiment is uncertain!  It will have to wait until a battle taking place in the past is resolved.  Until then, do not use it in your calculations for what forces are now at the Preston border.

Forces en route to Preston

[3-1]  The king's forces reach the Preston border, but their presence apparently has not gone unnoticed.  Indeed, more than unnoticed, it is almost as if the enemy knew exactly where they were going to be.  A significant force meets you at the border of Preston and Elbreth, comprising of 4 infantry regiments and 1 cavalry regiment led by Prince Karl of Preston.  The prince rides to the border and signals for parley.  Should the leader of the army meet him, he delivers his message.

"Gentle soldiers of Elbreth, we have no quarrel with your people and no designs upon your lands.  No doubt you have heard ill rumour of our intent, so allow me to enlighten you; we go to war with Miring on a legitimate matter of honour that neither concerns you nor requires your intervention.  We have documents - letters written by the former king and his mistress - proving the illegitimacy of the present king of Miring.  With all other heirs having fled the kingdom or else disqualified by reason of their minority or disability, my brother holds the closest claim to the throne by marriage.  We have taken on this duty, apportioned by God and reason, to place the citizens of Miring under legitimate royal rule.

"I repeat that we have no desire to fight you, and indeed would even appreciate your aid in restoring the legitimate succession of Miring.  However, should you cross this border we will take it as an act of war and respond accordingly."

The plateau where you meet is only lightly wooded, giving no advantage to either side and permitting the use of cavalry.  You have a numerical advantage, but even by the previous year's records this should not be their full army.

Any forces marching to Eelspine have now arrived there.

Reposting to help:

Quote from: Elbreth's Forces
Armies of the Realm
The Royal Army  [The Crown]
1 infantry regiment (Crown: Elbreth Province) - In Elbreth
3 infantry regiments (Crown: Elbreth Province) - marching to Preston
4 infantry regiments (Crown: Elbreth Province) - in Eelspine
1 cavalry regiment (Crown: Elbreth Province) - Marching to Preston

General Kaguro's Noble Forces - [Crown] -- Marching to Preston
1 personal guard regiment [KaguroDraven]
1 personal guard regiment [KaguroDraven] - To be disbanded at the end of the year/war
1 infantry regiment [Kaguro Draven] - To be disbanded at the end of the year/war

Lord yl Marchis' Noble Forces - [Crown] -- Marching to Preston
1 infantry regiment [Digital Hell Hound]

Sir Taric's Forces - [Crown]
1 personal guard regiment - [Taric] - Marching to Eelspine (Uncertain!)
1 infantry regiment - [Taric] - Guarding Stonewood

Lord Trubaldsome of Miring's Noble Forces - [Crown] -- Marching to Preston (Uncertain!)
1 personal guard regiment [Yoink]

Kain Vadud II's Forces - [Crown] -- Defending Eelspine
1 personal guard regiment [filiusenox] - Eelspine
1 infantry regiment [fliusenox] - Eelspine

Grand Master Black's Crusaders - [Crown] -- Marching to Preston
2 personal guard regiment [Knave]

Lord Terenos' Guard - [Crown] -- in Miring Capital
Manning's Crew [Terenos]: Infantry, Ambush

Lady Drua's House Guard - [Crown] -- in Miring (Allied to Crown)
1 guard regiment [Little] - In Miring Castle
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 12:41:54 pm by Iituem »

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1166 on: July 31, 2011, 01:09:53 pm »

Employing the powers of time-skipping, when any other business in the capital is concluded, Ochita would have reached the Archbishopric of Suul around this time.

((Oh right an action!))

Terenos and Manning's Crew (And probably Drua too) proceed to the Castle, to consult with the King of Miring.

[6]  The king is all too willing to see you, but unfortunately this is because he is having a nervous breakdown.  You start to recognise more and more of his brother Trubaldsome in him.  Paranoia is starting to become an issue too, such that the only people he is willing to have in his counsel now are yourself, Drua, Manning and Lord Markan (Drua's husband).  In fact, he is so unwilling to listen to even his own generals that he insists you determine how his forces should be arrayed when the final attack comes.

The land forces at Miring's disposal are as previously seen; 2 noble guards, 3 royal infantry regiments and Manning's crew.  [6]  To your great surprise you discover that Miring actually has slight naval superiority over Preston, possessing 3 light warships and two carracks.  The fleet has been pulled into the harbour, where they are functionally quite useless but nevertheless concentrated for a fight.  Moreover, it turns out the King has 'requested' the services of a local military engineer and his crew, who are willing to provide whatever service you require.  [3]  The treasury has been largely depleted from the king's desperate fight to root out traitors in his court, but there are still 3 Ducats remaining unspent.

Quote from: Miring's Resources
Defences:
2 Noble Regiments
3 Royal Infantry Regiments
1 Ambush Regiment

3 Light Warships
2 Carracks (Str 3 each)

Other:
1 engineer

Treasury:  3 Ducats

Spoiler: Miring (click to show/hide)

You may determine where you may wish to deploy your forces and any advanced tactics you might have in mind.  This will be taken into account if/when forces should attack.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 01:16:11 pm by Iituem »

Terenos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1167 on: July 31, 2011, 02:07:59 pm »

((*Draws up elaborate plans* Well aint that a turn of events. But betrayal and expansionism does not make a d'Avistral comfortable. Neither do flowery words. And it might be because they essentially said 'Yeah we're doing it. And we have an unassailable reason. Go away you inbred country hicks."
Hell even if you guys just occupy that force for a time while our army moves up, all will be good.))

((Oh right again!, an Action))
Excuse myself from the King's presence, and consult with his generals. Tip my hand that at least 3 more regiments will be joining us, from Elbreth.
I just want to hear their thoughts, really.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 02:14:43 pm by Terenos »
But despite what you've been told, I once had a soul. Left somewhere behind...

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1168 on: July 31, 2011, 02:23:14 pm »

((Oh bloody hell, The things I do for Erika...))
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Iituem

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1169 on: July 31, 2011, 02:46:00 pm »

((Oh right again!, an Action))
Excuse myself from the King's presence, and consult with his generals. Tip my hand that at least 3 more regiments will be joining us, from Elbreth.
I just want to hear their thoughts, really.

[6]  The generals, like the king, are only too eager to speak with you although in their case it is because they want to implement their own plans.  In fact, they downright demand that you carry out their plans, which frankly cut down to either packing everything inside the castle and hoping or sending the entire force straight to Preston to try and conquer them first.  [6]  When you enquire about any advantages you might have, they once again start giving you too much information; everything from trying to station troops on the shallow rocks by the coast to hiding in the woods and jumping out at the enemy.

Apparently everybody competent had done the smart thing and defected to Preston before this started.  Given the quality of their monarch, you are beginning to understand why.  [1]  You try to tacticly ask if there are any other generals or officers to speak to, but the general staff seem to interpret this as you fishing for information.  They start accusing you of being a spy, so you leave them be.  Not that the king would listen to their accusations anyway.

Edit:  Leaving off Trubaldsome chase for now in case Yoink has anything he wants to try during the escape.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 02:48:11 pm by Iituem »

Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79 80 ... 188