Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Question about pump stacks  (Read 1234 times)

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
Question about pump stacks
« on: July 08, 2011, 11:06:16 am »

I was just looking over the design and wondering - if you ran a channel from the top of a pump stack that fell back down to the base (say; path A goes off to a reservoir, path B goes to the channel back down with water flowing out along both), could you stick a few water wheels in it and self-power the whole thing? It'd reduce the water you got at the top, of course, but i was just curious.

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Question about pump stacks
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 11:10:11 am »

Definately, if the design is right. As far as perpetual motion machines go however it would be simpler and easier to make a small separate one to power the pumps. See here: http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Water_wheel#Mini_Water_Reactor

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 11:12:05 am »

I don't think there would be enough net water output to either region to both power it with direct water wheels and do anything useful.

If you redirected the water in a few repeats, you could make a sort of Dwarven Water Reactor, though.

Actually, it appears BloodBeard is a knowledgeable ninja. This post won't have any new information.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 11:12:50 am »

That's what i figured, but i haven't had much luck with building Water Reactors.  The Dwarves cant seem to focus on filling the "pond" for the reactor.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 11:15:49 am »

As long as you have buckets, water, and a designation, they'll get around to it eventually.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2011, 11:20:36 am »

They seem to just use the one bucket amongst all of them for filling it, rather doing something like a bucket chain, no matter how many i make :S.  Might try building one of the small reactors near one of my reservoirs, see if that cuts down a few issues.

BloodBeard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2011, 11:24:36 am »

I believe this is sort of what you have in mind only with shorter pumpstacks and a fuck-ton more power: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=87839.msg2397117#msg2397117

I don't know if it'll help.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2011, 11:29:56 am »

Good GRIEF.  That's... a little bit more umpf than i was thinking.  That thing downright scares me.  And i may or may not have bookmarked that for future Fun.

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2011, 11:30:46 am »

They seem to just use the one bucket amongst all of them for filling it, rather doing something like a bucket chain, no matter how many i make :S.  Might try building one of the small reactors near one of my reservoirs, see if that cuts down a few issues.

Do you only have one square designated for filling?
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2011, 11:32:43 am »

That i do. Just trying to build the "standard" water reactor design in the wiki.  There's plenty of lazy dwarves around, just none willing to haul buckets to fill it, it seems.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2011, 11:35:17 am »

1 fill pond zone of any size yields 1 fill pond order at any one time. 1 zone = 1 bucket.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2011, 11:36:41 am »

1 fill pond zone of any size yields 1 fill pond order at any one time. 1 zone = 1 bucket.

Ah, i see.  I'll try building and filling the basic water tank, then add the Fun parts atop it, i guess. Thanks!

Weylyn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2011, 11:37:46 am »

I've been wondering about the filling issue myself, especially since I will need a rather substantial amount of power to bring water up from the cavern lakes to avoid having to use the murky pools in my terrifying forest. (Also, obsidian casting.)

Since I've got harpies and wild trolls, I want to avoid using wind power and have also been looking at water reactors. However, the pond filling option just won't do. Takes too long, and I'm not leaving a lot of space for pond zones.

A solution I've been looking at is using the lake's natural pressure to fill the reactor from the bottom up in order to avoid the whole bucket brigade issue. I'm only a little worried that it might drown the guy who has to fire it up. I'm not sure the reactor's pumps in combination with the unrestricted inflow of water won't cause the thing to overflow.

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2011, 02:22:17 pm »

A solution I've been looking at is using the lake's natural pressure to fill the reactor from the bottom up in order to avoid the whole bucket brigade issue. I'm only a little worried that it might drown the guy who has to fire it up. I'm not sure the reactor's pumps in combination with the unrestricted inflow of water won't cause the thing to overflow.

Might work; install a flood gate before you flood it and you'll be able to seal it off afterwards from the lake.  Or, try setting a screw pump at the cavern lake water edge, then redirect the outflow into each of your dwarven reactor pools (from above) one at a time, by constructing and deconstructing walls or using natural tunnels to direct the flow into each reactor pool.  Once filled, you can then seal up the reactor from the cavern with constructed walls.

Personally, I find bucket brigades just as fast, the key is to fill one reactor at a time, and designate several 'pond' zones for each reactor.  Multiple pond zones means multiple bucketeers.  As long as the water source is relatively close they should be able to fill it reasonably quick.
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

eataTREE

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2011, 05:02:09 pm »

Designate one "pond" per reactor tile. Only one dwarf will work a pond at a time.

Also, for best results, the reactor vessel must be constructed from pitchblende blocks.
Pages: [1] 2