Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Stupid Crap You've Done!  (Read 866 times)

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
Stupid Crap You've Done!
« on: July 08, 2011, 08:21:15 am »

So I figure this particular area of the fora deserves a thread like this.

Today I was getting bored, and wondering how long it would take for those damn goblins to realize I was running around selling masterwork mugs like they were cheap prostitutes when I suddenly realized that I still had invasions turned off because I had been testing things in another world and didn't want to be disturbed.
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Stupid Crap You've Done!
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2011, 08:23:14 am »

Military screen: Design the perfect uniform.  Forge nearly a hundred steel items.  Meet the goblins head on.  Realize you never assigned the uniform to the squad.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2011, 08:29:45 am »

Designed and built almost my entire fort around the mouth of a volcano. Closed off all entrances, leaving only a bridge over magma. Chortled as a siege arrived, and I prepared to incinerate them.

Realized too late that their archers didn't need a path to be able to shoot straight down into my fort. Panic, death, fun, etc.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2011, 08:48:38 am »

Designed a computing megaproject that required a constant wind power of 40 across the entire surface.  Settled my dwarves in, started building, placing windmills.  Then I realized that the wind wasn't constant across the map - it was 40 on half the map, 20 on the other half.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2011, 08:49:32 am »

Ordered my military to kill a tame yak...........
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2011, 09:21:00 am »

Drowned one of my military squads to gain fps. I forgot that that was the squad that didn't have a barracks so they had been chatting in the dining room for a few years.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2011, 10:45:10 am »

Not learning d-b-d until 31.25

That, and leaving my entire fortress defence to a few low-quality weapon traps with the Fortress Defence mod running. Tigermen do not fear traps.

Gyvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2011, 10:57:37 am »

Tapped into a lake (not a murky pool, an actual lake) without setting up a pressure regulator.  That fortress flooded fast.

FoiledFencer

• Bay Watcher
  • keepin' it feudal.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2011, 11:14:53 am »

Tapped into a lake (not a murky pool, an actual lake) without setting up a pressure regulator.  That fortress flooded fast.

This, but with a river.

Geyser in the meeting hall, followed by Titanic Style gradual compartment flooding as I desperatly blocked doors and hallways to contain the water. Ruined my favourite fortress - and it was such a lovely embark site too. :(
"Lithrushâst Kúdlizat: Fetidfur, the slick notch, a grizzly bear leather loincloth. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is studded with zinc, decorated with grizzly bear leather and encircled with bands of grizzly bear leather. This object menaces with spikes of grizzly bear leather."

MrShovelFace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2011, 01:34:27 pm »

accidentally caved in the whole map  8)

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2011, 02:13:20 pm »

accidentally caved in the whole map  8)
This is Dwarf Fortress. That's not stupid, that's awesome.

Raised the drawbridge. Few months later, traders come and can't get in. I wonder why and end up digging a new entrance, only to find out that I never lowered the bridge.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."