Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War  (Read 2283 times)

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
  • Ἱησους Χριστος Θεου Υἱος Σωτηρ
    • View Profile
Re: Warhammer 40k: Dawn of War
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2011, 06:45:40 pm »

Do you play the multiplayer at all?
Quote from: NewsMuffin
Dsarker is the trolliest Catholic
[Dsarker is] a good for nothing troll.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2011, 06:50:09 pm »

I did in beta and a little bit after release. I appreciated the combat on a per-fight basis, getting cover, changing weapon positions....that worked pretty well. But the strats that ended up being successful in MP led me to quit playing (Dread spam, running packs around the map, yadda yadda.) And there wasn't ever enough escalation. Both sides could fit their whole force on one screen and it was just constantly mashing those two groups together, or chasing down a lone squad of trouble makers behind your lines.

Playing against the AI in DoW 2 was really boring and that's what really put the nail in the coffin for MP for me. I still play CoH against the AI because it's fun when the level gets added to the equation. You get defensive options, construction options, the terrain changes dramatically, the cover changes, there's a flow to the whole thing.

In DoW 2 it felt like the levels didn't matter in the slightest, the games were always the same, especially against the AI. Annihilation in Company of Heroes and Dawn of War was fun despite it being the "lesser" form of game play. Annihilation in DoW 2 amounts to your whole army shooting at the enemy teleport platform for 4 minutes until it finally dies. Anti-climatic.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 06:52:34 pm by nenjin »
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2011, 06:52:13 pm »

The game is really based around the MP as of Ret.
You do not convince me. You rationalize your actions and because the result is favorable you become right.
"There are times, Sember, when I could believe your mother had a secret lover. Looking at you makes me wonder if it was one of my goats."

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2011, 06:53:17 pm »

I don't really see how that changes anything, if the format and the execution is still something I find lackluster. I've been listening to DoW 2 fans sing that tune for close to 5 years now.
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2011, 06:59:12 pm »

Okay. If you don't like it, then good for you! That's what the Last Stand mode is for.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2011, 07:03:45 pm »

I'm not (super) bitter about it anymore. I still fire up DoW 2 when I absolutely must shoot something in the face in the name of the Emperor. Just like DoW and CoH had their time, DoW 2 is having its. I just hope they decide that DoW is the time to again try something different and I hope the formula is something I'll like as much as in the past.

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2011, 07:48:13 pm »

Alright, i just need to go off-topic here for a second, since i cannot be bothered reading all the posts to see if this has been put to rest.

DoW1 has no terrain deformation, whatsoever. Explosions etc. just create temporary decals on the terrain, they don't actually deform it. Cover is static, the only building garrisoning is with the Imperial Guard, and only in some of their own buildings (technically Orks have it too, but they don't fire out, it's like putting them in an immobile transport to hide them). And there's no permanent wrecks, all destroyed vehicles and giant units fade away a few seconds after their death animations, they don't block movement at all. You can enable permanent bodies for most infantry, but that's it, and they don't block anything once they're dead either.

CoH using the exact same engine? Last i checked it was a newer version of it, so unless you have proof it's the exact same one, i call bullshit.

DoW2 having less terrain deformation? I haven't played it (but damn i want to, just waiting on buying a computer than can play it), but i've seen several videos and the deformation looks the same as CoH's to me.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 07:51:49 pm by 612DwarfAvenue »
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2011, 07:54:23 pm »

Fair enough, CoH is probably Essence 1.5. I seem to recall terrain deformation in DoW but it's been at least 5 years since I touched it so I may be wrong there too.

DoW2 having less terrain deformation? I haven't played it (but damn i want to, just waiting on buying a computer than can play it), but i've seen several videos and the deformation looks the same as CoH's to me.

I've not been able to pound a 10 foot deep hole in the ground with anything in DoW 2. What I wanted out of DoW 2 was DoW 1 fully integrated into the Essence Engine like CoH was. Instead the next iteration of the engine focused on different things and simplified some of the stuff that made CoH so great. It was hard not to be disappointed when it seemed like they missed a huge opportunity.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2011, 05:20:04 pm »

Well, if this isn't ironic.

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/warhammer-40000-dawn-of-war-iii/1181938p1.html

Posting it here since it's a little bit too early on this one to start a new thread for it.

But yeah, Dawn of War III, with a non-specific release date in early "2012 or 2013."

The main focus of the game:

"There's going to be lots of opportunities to expand and build your own custom mega army," McDermott told Eurogamer. "That's definitely an area we want to invest in. We see a good opportunity."

I really hope he's not just waxing epic with us. "Mega armies" is not what I'd say DoW II offered up, not even close. If they simply jack up the # of units available to you in DoW 3, I'll consider it an improvement over the high-level skirmishes DoW 2 has.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2011, 05:33:44 pm »

Note the specific words he uses. "Custom Mega". It's all too possible that the interviewer didn't get it down exactly.

What if it was "Kustom Mega"? What race uses those terms for the good stuff? ORKZ. DoW3 is going to be centred around ORKZ!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2011, 07:35:33 pm »

I'm pretty sure a GWS 40k product not leading with SM is a sign of the Apokalypse.

Dsarker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2011, 07:46:18 pm »

ApORKalypse, you mean,

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2011, 07:57:35 pm »

See, you can capitalize that anyway you want, and all I can think of is bat-winged swine coming to take over the world.

Icee77

• Bay Watcher
  • I gave dogs [CAN_LEARN]. What have I DONE?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 14, 2011, 09:54:26 pm »

Well, Dawn Of War 3 seems to be about large mega-custom armies, so maybe that's more to your taste.
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/07/13/dawn-of-war-3-custom-mega-armies/

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 14, 2011, 10:55:09 pm »

Love this series, own all the games worth owning (so not SOUHLSTARHM or Retribution). Gotta admit, I preferred the old style of gameplay better, even if Eldar were OP and you couldn't hit a damn thing while moving in later expansions.
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.
Pages: 1 [2] 3