Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Fun time at siege time  (Read 1343 times)

MrShovelFace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Fun time at siege time
« on: July 07, 2011, 04:01:11 pm »

So lately i have been under three different sieges at once, all with hordes of regular goblin bowmen. Suffice to say my 10 military dorfs are scared shitless. i figure its time i release the forgotten beast made of glass upon them but i dont want to sacrifice one of my 3 legendary miners. How can i do this without you know

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fun time at siege time
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 04:12:19 pm »

Locate the Forgotten Beast, dig the path to the surface except for the last square on the Beast's side which should be far away from the Beast, then design a way to seal the path, send a miner in, then have the miner run back to your fort proper before the Beast can actually get to it. Alternatively, disable mining on your legendary miners, give some useless peasant one of their picks and have them dig out the last tile.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

MrShovelFace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 04:18:01 pm »

i like the second answer

but is there some kind of elevator?

Hokan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 04:20:10 pm »

1. Make bridge.
2. Lure beast on lowered bridge.
3. Fling bridge.
4. Enjoy entertainment.

Not sure if this actually works, unfortunately.
Valuing life seems too close to an aesthetic rule for me, I think.
Only in Dwarf Fortress is the value of life placed as "aesthetic."

MrShovelFace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 04:21:54 pm »

fb will stop bridges from raising and im trying to get the beast to the surface alive

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 04:24:20 pm »

1. Make bridge.
2. Lure beast on lowered bridge.
3. Fling bridge.
4. Enjoy entertainment.

Not sure if this actually works, unfortunately.
There is a very low probablity of this transporting the beast where you want it to. You should still do it - it's hilarious. Unless the beast is really big. Then the bridge might break.

The best thing we have for an elevator is a dwarf carrying a cage up stairs. As long as you can cage it, this is all you'll need.

MrShovelFace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2011, 04:37:43 pm »

if i place a dorf in an above ground house with stairway to the caverns, and i deconstruct a wall of it would the goblin horde chase the peasant down the stairwell into the glass monster's lair?

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 07, 2011, 04:42:47 pm »

if i place a dorf in an above ground house with stairway to the caverns, and i deconstruct a wall of it would the goblin horde chase the peasant down the stairwell into the glass monster's lair?
It depends if the goblins can see the dwarf or not. You could always draft him into the military and have him move towards them; when they see him, you could remove him and he would run away. Might not run towards the stairs, though.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2011, 04:49:15 pm »

It depends if the goblins can see the dwarf or not. You could always draft him into the military and have him move towards them; when they see him, you could remove him and he would run away. Might not run towards the stairs, though.
If you burrow him as a civilian and said burrow encompasses the stairs, he should run that way first.
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

MrShovelFace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2011, 04:50:24 pm »

if a FB spawns while the caverns are open to the above ground house wouldnt it immediently go up through the shaft containing the dorf in the house?
if so i could tell the dorf at that time to demolish the wall and go play tag with the goblins..

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2011, 04:54:59 pm »

If the beast can path towards something it can kill, I assume that is exactly what it will do. If you are willing to isolate yourself from the world above then just wall off the entrance to your fortress and let the Forgotten Beast stay up there. It will probably stick around until an enemy siege, caravan guard or an equally horrifying monster eventually kills it. I think.

PS: Don't play tag with goblin archers.
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

MrShovelFace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2011, 04:56:52 pm »

would this work?

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2011, 05:05:12 pm »

It should work provided the following is true:
1. Urist Mcbait is faster than the beast.
2. The beast does not have deadly spittle or something that might kill the dwarf at range.
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

MrShovelFace

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2011, 05:42:52 pm »

another question: will a monster that isnt freshly spawned follow with plan? or will he just sit in the caverns sleeping

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2011, 05:55:14 pm »

Not sure. I don't think there is a difference.
Pages: [1] 2