Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: So I dug into a cavern layer...  (Read 3549 times)

Casp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
So I dug into a cavern layer...
« on: July 07, 2011, 08:50:57 am »

I dug into a cavern layer with my main staircase, and now all of the rooms I have in the soil layer are growing cave moss and towercap.

This being dwarf fortress, I'd just like to confirm that these plants will not begin spewing some kind of flesh eating acid/emit toxins that will drive my dwarves mad/spontaneously combust.
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So I dug into a cavern layer...
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2011, 08:55:59 am »

Not unless you did some intense modding. But no, they'll grow grass your animals eat and mushrooms you cut for wood.

varnish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2011, 08:57:30 am »

Sadly, the plants will not attempt to kill you.

If you find them annoying, employ a squad of grazing animals to mow the invasive plants down.

Dwarf Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • T' bread wi't edge
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2011, 08:57:52 am »

I think you're confusing plants for forgotten beasts.

Silly jokes aside, cave moss is underground grass for pastures and towercaps are big mushrooms that act like trees, as in you can harvest them for wood and make the sorts of things you can usually make from wood from towercap. They're completely harmless but might get a bit annoying if you were intending to use those rooms for something other than pastures or tree farming.

edit: double ninja'd. I are slow.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 08:59:33 am by Dwarf Bread »

Indricotherium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 09:26:56 am »

You can also floor the dirt rooms in stone or stone blocks in order to avoid the growth.
That is a wasteful idea that recklessly endangers life. I applaud your genius!
There are as many ways to play the game as there are socks on a battlefield.

kardwill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 10:06:14 am »

these plants will not begin spewing some kind of flesh eating acid/emit toxins that will drive my dwarves mad/spontaneously combust.

People, I think we've got a project!

Carpman

• Bay Watcher
  • need not work.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2011, 03:50:01 pm »

Remember to either block off the entrance to the caverns or line the entrance with copious amounts of cage traps. Preferably the second option, I just caught myself two trolls that are remarkably similar to Jasper and Horace from 101 Dalmatians.

Shmo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2011, 01:33:21 am »

The plants can be supremely annoying in subtler ways than most other cavern-spawn. I'm thinking about you, tower-cap-that-grows-in-my-river-intake-pipe-during-winter.
S = k*log x(rope reed fiber socks)x

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2011, 10:09:03 am »

It also keeps the herbalists busy. Good civvie job for soldiers
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2011, 10:57:52 am »

Forgotten Beasts won't be trapped by a cage trap. Drawbridge the cave entrance off too.
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

jamesadelong

• Bay Watcher
  • 148 Giant Mosquitos won't stop Polar Bear testing!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2011, 11:18:46 am »

Really? I quite like the idea of a crawling fungus that covers all of my soil. I frequently dissipate my floors in such a way that it's a smooth transition. However I fully agree that it should be poison. Only after long exposure however. And there should be a manufacturable cure. Actually... that gives me an idea for a pharmaceutical fortress that thrives on the chemistry industry.
Quote from: Oliolli
Quote from: Dohon
Dwarf Fortress: where good advice confuses new players and bad advice makes the Geneva Conventions scream out in pain.

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2011, 11:29:45 am »

these plants will not begin spewing some kind of flesh eating acid/emit toxins that will drive my dwarves mad/spontaneously combust.

Maybe changing their temp to max? So when they sprout, they instantly burn?
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2011, 02:42:18 pm »

Maybe changing their temp to max? So when they sprout, they instantly burn?
Nah, that'll just cause fires.
Instead we need to create some new cave moss types. We'll set their boiling temperature real low, and give them some nasty inhaled syndromes.
Then we just set their frequency to 10 or lower, and every now and then you'll get poisonous underground spores.
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.