Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Veilshame  (Read 3024 times)

Awesome0Person

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Veilshame
« on: July 06, 2011, 10:10:09 pm »

I recently got an artifact Adamantine pick, Veilshame. I've heard that picks are good weapons, what should I do with it? Also, two other questions, does pick material increase mining speed, and how can I give it to one of my miners?
Soon, you'll have a drunken avatar of destruction. As opposed to your normal drunken paragons of destruction.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
Re: Veilshame
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 10:16:33 pm »

Take your best miner, preferably a legendary one, make him a full suit of adamantine armor, put him in a squad with your best military dwarf/teacher and nobody else. Then equip him with that pick, and set them both to train year round.

Soon, you'll have a drunken avatar of destruction. As opposed to your normal drunken paragons of destruction.
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Awesome0Person

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 10:21:32 pm »

Would a danger room work? Also, the part about drunken paragons and whatnot will be sig'd.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 10:32:48 pm »

I had a genesis fort with a small squad of adamantine clad steel dwarf champions.  Obviously, they greatly outshined every other squad in battle prowess.

Then came Katusan... an adamantine pick worth about 2.4 mil, and coincidentally someone asked to be dwarfed as one of the legendary miners and transferred to the military with an adamantine pick.  So I gave him the artifact pick.  Just a normal stone dwarf with just above average stats and no training.  He very quickly began out performing the steel dwarves.  If I had kept playing that for a couple more in-game years, he could have easily doubled anyone else in the fort in kills.

So yeah, artifact adamantine pick is a good weapon.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

jamesadelong

• Bay Watcher
  • 148 Giant Mosquitos won't stop Polar Bear testing!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 10:50:37 pm »

I've experimented havily into this. Picks use the mining skill as far as I can see, so an ademantine pick (which does a solid stabbing damage) is potent in the hands of a legendary miner. I use the first two miners I get to beef out the military once I get them up to legendary.
As for equipping? Easy done. To equip it, you need to make sure nobody is using it as a pick and then select it from the weapon screen in the military. However, as far as I can tell, a dwarf using it as a pick will not use it as a weapon unless in self defence. So it is best to get him to use a copper pick as a tool and the addy pick as a weapon.
As for digging speed, material makes 0 difference. Only the skill as far as I can tell.
Remember however, a pick is a stabbing weapon and so against creatures with no organs it won't do as much damage, still as an addy weapon, it should be potent regardless.
Quote from: Oliolli
Quote from: Dohon
Dwarf Fortress: where good advice confuses new players and bad advice makes the Geneva Conventions scream out in pain.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 10:59:41 pm »

A danger room will work, but that's cheating :P

And yay! My first sig :D

Awesome0Person

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 11:05:57 pm »

Thanks for the detailed reply james, also, could I use Dwarf Therapist to find out who is the 'most legendary' or my miners?
I have to agree, when I tried danger rooms for the first time after only using regular training, I just sat there while I got a squad of legendary dwarves. One Axedwarf, five Goblin Archers. It was a massacre. He just dodged all of the arrows or cut them out of the air with his iron battle axe and murdered each one.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 11:17:00 pm by Awesome0Person »

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2011, 11:13:40 pm »

That would work. Failing that, you could also collect all your legendary miners in one place and handpick one based on personality and apparent physical attributes.

Also, about the bit about picks not being as effective against creatures with no organs: You're still pretty likely to sever limbs, so it will still do the job.

jamesadelong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2011, 11:20:11 pm »

I must admit, thatkid is correct. Severing limbs is still rather effective.
Dwarf Fortress: where good advice confuses new players and bad advice makes the Geneva Conventions scream out in pain.

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #9 on: July 07, 2011, 12:43:38 am »

All this talk of Dwarven Paragons remind anyone of Dragon Age, or is it just me?
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 07, 2011, 01:59:38 am »

...Don't picks do blunt damage, making adamantine picks pretty much worthless as weapons?

Number4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 07, 2011, 03:18:55 am »

To put it bluntly, no.

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Weapons

(If it did, everyone would have told the OP that his pick is crap. ;) )
Thanks for the suggestion, but Number4 is correct: [...] it would be easier and more predictable to just be a racist.

Did somebody just rule 34 two veins of metal?

jamesadelong

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 07, 2011, 03:32:35 am »

To put it bluntly, no.

http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Weapons

(If it did, everyone would have told the OP that his pick is crap. ;) )

1) Brilliant pun.
2) No, we would have told him that an addy blunt weapon is just the thing to kill the clowns and size and conquer the circus itself.

Awesome0Person

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 07, 2011, 09:17:25 am »

I'm not so new that I trust everything thats said on these forums. One dwarficidal madman never trusts another.