Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: You aren't Apprentices: Magic Book Discussion [Third Round Monday]  (Read 8858 times)

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

At least not anymore!

With the disappearance of Nibiln the Grey and Goladia the White, the Council of Mages is missing two its three members. As Oloat the Brown cannot be trusted to govern the Council of Mages alone, and your mentor is either unable or unwilling to take on the position themself, you have been instructed to choose a partner and then enter into the Trials of Wizardry in their place, as to secure the two remaining seats on the Council for you and your chosen ally.

In order to do so, you must provide five things:

Your name: Pick anything, specify gender if isn't clear.
You mentor's name: Nalglan the Green, Malkin the Black, Tlaxo the Yellow, Alama the Bard or Magestro the Red. Each has two students, no more, no less.
Your partner's name: You are allowed (and encouraged) to form teams with different mentors.
Your backstory: We want to hear about this. Assume DF fantasy setting here, except with wizards.
Your most valued possession: You also start with 50 coins, a set of clothes, a dagger, and possibly some other stuff from your mentor, but none of that is really precious to you. Tell us what is.

Once 10 people have been accepted into 5 teams, everyone will find out what spells they get. You should probably tell your partner about these. You will then be told about the First Trial, and given a week (in both real time and game time) to decide how you want to prepare.

Keep in mind that magic follows constistant rules that, while not always known to you, are known to me and can be discovered via experimentation and investigation. You will be able to discover new spells or new uses for old spells by doing this.

If one member of a team goes inactive, the active member can send in actions for their character until I find a replacement. If both go inactive, that team is out of the game entirely. Pick someone that you can stand working with.

Good luck.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 11:15:22 am by Grek »

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
Re: You aren't Apprentices!
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 09:25:41 pm »

Are the PC's human? or is our race chosen by our mentor. My characters race is kind of important if I am to write out a backstory.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 09:34:52 pm »

Your name: Nirur
You mentor's name: Malkin the Black
Your partner's name: Ochita
Spoiler: Backstory (click to show/hide)
Your most valued possession: A poorly carved wooden ring given to him by his mother. It being child sized, he keeps it safely inside an interior pocket of his clothing.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 02:49:00 pm by Nirur Torir »

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 09:39:13 pm »

All of your characters are human, as being a currently living human is a requirement for being on the Council.

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 10:04:32 pm »

Your name: Ochita, The male human.
You mentor's name: Alama the Bard
Your partner's name: Nirur
Your backstory: I was born around 23 years ago, in a hamlet that was quite close to a major trade route, so the hamlet usually had a traveling merchant or two. When I came of age in the hamlet, I left on a quest of learning, and after reaching the capitol, I came across Alama, and I begged her, until she took me in as an apprentice. Now, due to the new developments, I've been chosen to do the Trials of wizardry, with a partner.
Your most valued possession: My most valued possession is a dwarven stone pendant, which I got with my own owned money when I was young.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 03:07:52 pm by Ochita »
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 10:11:40 pm »

Your name: Stiric, the male human.
You mentor's name: Alama the Bard
Your partner's name: ?
Your backstory: Ever since I was born I have been traveling. Once I came to age I left my parents behind and settled down in the city, I quickly found that taverns would pay good coin for entertainment. I was terrible at first, barely making any money. But I found Alama the Bard and begged to be her apprentice. After promising to eventually pay her back she accepted me as an apprentice.
Your most valued possession: An old battered lute that I spent a day's worth of food on.

Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 10:14:46 pm »

Reserveing a spot under Nalglan the Green. I just wrote up a character for Alama the Bard only to find that I had been beaten and all spots filled. I'll write my new character once I simmer down a bit.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2011, 10:15:36 pm »

Reserveing a spot under Nalglan the Green. I just wrote up a character for Alama the Bard only to find that I had been beaten and all spots filled. I'll write my new character once I simmer down a bit.
Sorry, but I fucking love roleplaying bards.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2011, 10:18:50 pm »

Can I reserve a spot under Magestro the Red? I'll just write it up...
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
  • Where do we go from here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2011, 10:43:23 pm »

Your name: Immolatia, the Female Human
You mentor's name: Magestro the Red
Your partner's name: Carden Aglaeca, who mentor was Malkin the Black.
Your backstory: The woman who would be known as Immolatia was born almost 23 years ago, in the Palace District of the Capital, to a royal family. She lived a privileged life, comfortable and boring. Her family was known more for their Paladins and Battle Priests, and had long held grudge against magic users of any stripe. So when she began to show signs...they sought to 'correct' it.

To their dismay, the person they knew retreated after years of of their abuse, and the woman who emerged called herself 'Immolatia'-to destroy-and she did just that. They tried to kill her. The family estate was levelled in the battle.

Severing all ties with her kin, even her own name, she walked into the world an angry, bitter youth, selling her battle magic to whatever cause caught her fancy. One day she encountered, and foolishly challenged Magestro the Red to a duel, and was soundly beaten. As she lay bleeding and broken on the roadside, he knelt down by her side, healed her injuries and said. "You've got a lot of potential. I'd hate to see it go to waste."

Through the years of apprenticeship, Immolatia had fought to control her anger-she grew a bit older, a bit wiser. But, remains no less ruthless than she ever was.

Your most valued possession:
Ashes of the Pheonix/This is a painful reminder-a pinch of black ashes from her burned down estate, encased in a red crystal worn around the neck, this is an emblem of who she was, and what she became afterwards-nothing but ashes remain. She has a habit of holding this when concentrating, and was given a death vision by a fortune teller many years-when it breaks, so will she die...yet, it will not be the end.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 01:05:29 am by Dwarmin »
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

"The hats never coming off."

Grek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2011, 11:00:50 pm »

While Dwarmin's background is OK (as he successfully guessed that Magestro the Red is a wizard that would do very well in a duel against a fire wizard), you should probably avoid writing information about your teacher and the magic that they taught you into your backstory until AFTER you find out that information. Just saying.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2011, 11:18:32 pm »

Well, *technically*, Immolatia doesn't have to be a Fire Wizard-any destructive force will do, which is why I left if a bit of a mystery, and possibly a sneaky misdirection. All I wrote was that Magestro had a bit of healing magic, and he kicked my ass before recruting me-which he could probably do no matter what sort of Wizard I was.

Remember, the root of the word "Immolation" is Latin, Immolare for "Sacrifice"-not fire. ;)

-To my eventual ally-

Immolatia's eyes flash a vivid red as she stares you down. "Listen, I don't like you...and you probably don't like me. But none of us can do this alone. You agree, right?" She pauses to hold the small red crystal around the neck. You can detect a simmering anger in her voice, ready to explode at the slightest provocation...and yet, an iron will holds it in check. A dangerous combination.

"If we're going to win, we have to put aside emotion. Do what we have to do, to win. I'm not backing down. Are you?"
Dwarmin's fell gaze has fallen upon you. Sadly, Your life and your quest end here, at this sig.

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2011, 11:30:13 pm »

Your name: Tarok Kingsley, Male Human
You mentor's name: Magestro the Red
Your partner's name: Harley Vanguard
Your backstory: Tarok grew up in a the slums of the Capital he spent almsot all his childhood struggling to fight his way out of that hole by any means nessecary including theivery. One day Tarok stole the man he came to call Master's, Magestro, purse, and just as he was about to run away the man picked him up by the foot, and lifted him into the air as this happened the man holding Tarok had his hand light on fire it had always happened when Tarok was either scared, or desperate that fire would appear. The man quickly put the fire out, and put the boy down looking into tarok's eyes he said "You seem to have a natural talent with magic, and for trying to steal from I am going to have you be my apprentice. " Tarok just nodded, and thats how his apprenticship started, adn about 1 year later another arrived to be his apprentice her name Immolatia, and he found her to be distrubing, because after a while you get used to the shear terror she emits at times.
Your most valued possession: Crescent Moon Pendant

Tarok lookd at Immolatia, and rolled his eyes saying "Whatever you've done that same thing for awhile now I am used to it, but nice try."
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 03:15:44 pm by adwarf »

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2011, 11:47:49 pm »

Oh, right... There goes Magestro, then. I'm gonna grab a spot under the least-cool-sounding wizard then, before they're all gone! D:

Your name: Drull the male human.
You mentor's name: Tlaxo the Yellow
Your partner's name: None yet.
Your backstory: Born on a cold barn floor on a tiny little farm, Drull's early years were very dull. Lugging the potatoes, shearing the sheep, pulling unmentionable things out of cows' backsides, burning down the farm whilst magnifying sunlight to burn ants-- Wait, okay, maybe he wasn't your typical peasant, really. Cursed with an unhealthy obsession with fire from an early age, Drull liked burning things. After he burnt down the family farm, his furious parents dumped him on the [insert doorstep-equivalent here] of Magestros the Red.
The wizard, already having two apprentices, [insert verb here] the young pyromaniac off to Tlaxo the yellow instead, hoping that Tlaxo's [insert Tlaxo's personality here] would help reform Drull. Whatever, at least it wasn't Magestro's problem anymore. Pfft.
Your most valued possession: A withered, charred cornstalk, bearing the marks of years of chewing as Drull's only link to his peasant past. Usually protudes from his yellowed teeth, being chewed.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Dwarmin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2011, 11:50:44 pm »

To Kingsley

Immolatia grimaced.

"Tarok...It's clear Magestro only wishes for one of us to win the trials-it's his way of determining the strongest. Let's agree not to get in each others way, and earn glory for Magestro...and ourselves.

Even if we're on different sides, can we agree to that?

I wouldn't want to see you get hurt, is all-and you can count on this-if you cross me, you will be"

Immolatia didn't hate the boy-she had long ago given up hate-but she was afraid for him. How else would he survive the trials, without becoming like her?

OOC: My first pick was Nirur, though, and I've sent him a PM. And two red mages going together? Derp. We're supposed to find strength in different color combinations, Adwarf.

@Yoink: Lol Tlaxo :3

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9