Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: water -> ice in above ground structures?  (Read 970 times)

MrAnderson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
water -> ice in above ground structures?
« on: July 06, 2011, 04:33:15 pm »

howdy!

today i made a strange discovery: i have a living tower built above ground, with wells in each room (~100). to get those working i built water containing tunnels, with no contact to the outside world except the wells and the river the water is taken from. now, to my problem:
everything is frozen, when it turns winter. as soon as the pump stack goes above ground, there's no more water but ice, same in the water tunnels.
is this normal? i thought, water would never freeze indoors? or is everything "outdoor" as i have balconys without doors? but even then, the pumpstack shouldn't freeze over...

edit: just noticed: all wells were destroyed in the process and replaced by ice, freeing the materials used to build  >:(
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 04:37:20 pm by MrAnderson »

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: water -> ice in above ground structures?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 04:35:50 pm »

Any square ever exposed to the light of day is forever above ground, and thus will always freeze.  The only way to get a tower with non-freezing water is to carve that tower straight from the bedrock (or rather to excavate everything but the tower)
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

MrAnderson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 04:38:49 pm »

>:(

so 8 years of building a 21-story-tower wasted  :'(

andrewas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 04:40:39 pm »

Run magma alongside your water lines and it'll keep them from freezing.

MrAnderson

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 04:43:54 pm »

would ruin my design, so i'll just build another in a warm climate

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 07:58:36 pm »

andrewas is right. Magma is more simple.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Dorf3000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2011, 07:33:54 am »

A well in a dwarven bedroom is like a quern in a magma trap.  They won't use it, and it's quite likely someone will die by accident if they do try to use it.

Extend your pump stack down to the magma and have it heat your dwarven rooms instead, providing water is unnecessary.
I had a tigerman get elected mayor and he promptly mandated 3 bowls of cereal.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2011, 08:00:40 am »

Magma beside water is useless.  Magma under water, separated by a single floor tile, will keep the water warm.  You can build a spiral pump stack using a 4x4 grid and place magma under those corner squares, otherwise trying to pump water through a frozen location is nearly impossible.  Frozen waterfalls are also impossible, as they just freeze, and you can't easily suspend magma in midair.

Somewhere in there is the recipe for a cave-in machinegun, by proper misuse of heated aqueducts and un-heated locations.

Fredd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2011, 10:05:54 am »

If you really don't want to waste the effort, you could use DFliquids to fill a tunnel underneath it with magma. It is sorta "Cheatyface"  but I think using it once would not be so bad.
Should you fail to comply, strict !!disciplinary actions!! will be taken. Also, we feel we should remind you that one of the "criminals" on your list is the chief medical dwarf. If he ends up too badly injured to do his job, you will be fired. Out of a magma cannon.
Sincerely,
The Administration