Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Applauding Movies?  (Read 1644 times)

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
Applauding Movies?
« on: July 06, 2011, 02:05:47 pm »

So every time I see an American critic talking about a movie they saw, they always mention the audience applauding and clapping.

I have to ask: Why the hell do American's applaud at movies? You applaud to show your actors your appreciation, in an attempt to tell them you thought that it was a good performance (or pretend you did at least). It just makes it seem like they do not understand that the actors aren't actually there. :S As an Englishman it just makes no sense to me...

In Britain the social convention for seeing a movie is as follows: you sit in silence, except if it's funny when you are allowed to laugh for a few seconds. You can occasionally (but very rarely) making comments (usually sarcastic) to your friends. Then as you leave at the end of the movie, when out of the theatre room, you start discussing opinions between each other.

You don't hoot and holler at the screen, that would get you thrown out of the cinema.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 02:07:58 pm by MorleyDev »

Dimitri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Applauding Movies?
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 02:09:26 pm »

It depends on the general area, the individuals in the theatre and who is cast in the movie.

I don't do it personally, but I've experienced more than one instance of senseless clapping, generally when a favored actor/actress is involved.
Now when it comes to certain movies, I'll admit; I'm a snarky asshole. I laughed senselessly through the last horror movie I saw.
It was also a terrible movie, so I had no qualms about it.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 02:10:59 pm »

People do it to show that they thought it was a good movie. It's a courtesy that just carried over from the days of theatre and olde stuff.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 02:18:34 pm »

It's just because the English have their emotions surgically removed during their school years.  :P

Seriously though...when an action movie pulls off a Crowning Moment of Awesome, how do you not let out a cheer? I'm not saying whoop and holler for a full minute, but when there's a certain shared enthusiasm by most of the audience (I'm thinking of The Matrix when Neo has his epiphany at the end and becomes mega-badass as a good example) I don't see the problem with allowing the audience to cheer. Going to the movies is supposed to be an emotional experience.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Africa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 02:20:12 pm »

It depends on the movie. Normally applauding at a movie is weird and dorky, but sometimes people just do it at, say, times when the good guy serves the shit out of some especially horrible bad guy. Not like a full on round of applause, but some "yeah"s and claps. Usually the only acceptable reactions are laughing at funny stuff, going "ohhh" when something crazy happens (like the Joker's magic trick) and a few things like that. On the other hand, if you have a movie like Snakes on a Plane, the entire experience is completed by audience participation. Preferably by loud ghetto people, which is the way God intended that movie to be watched.
Quote from: Cthulhu
It's like using hobos to fight an eating-resistant baloney epidemic.

breadbocks

• Bay Watcher
  • A manacled Mentlegen. (ಠ_ృ)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 02:31:23 pm »

It depends on the movie. Normally applauding at a movie is weird and dorky, but sometimes people just do it at, say, times when the good guy serves the shit out of some especially horrible bad guy. Not like a full on round of applause, but some "yeah"s and claps. Usually the only acceptable reactions are laughing at funny stuff, going "ohhh" when something crazy happens (like the Joker's magic trick) and a few things like that. On the other hand, if you have a movie like Snakes on a Plane, the entire experience is completed by audience participation. Preferably by loud ghetto people, which is the way God intended that movie to be watched.
Rocky Horror Picture Show style actors with Snakes on a Plane? I can dig it.
Clearly, cakes are the next form of human evolution.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 02:53:51 pm »

In Holland it seems to be the same as in England. Although a but more sarcastic comments : ). No applauding though... One exception: Last time I went to the cinema everyone did look away in disgust at a certain part and pretty much moaned/screamed aaaaaah
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2011, 03:02:21 pm »

Same in Sweden as well. Expression of emotion (laughter, fright, cute, sarcasm, whistling, whatever) is done, but cheering? And applauding at the end? Never heard of it. Unless it's like a opening show or something, and the directors, actors and the rest are actually in the audience to be appreciated at.

But really, doesn't it depend more on what kind of movie you're watching?
Love, scriver~

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2011, 03:03:32 pm »

It's just because the English have their emotions surgically removed during their school years.  :P

Seriously though...when an action movie pulls off a Crowning Moment of Awesome, how do you not let out a cheer? I'm not saying whoop and holler for a full minute, but when there's a certain shared enthusiasm by most of the audience (I'm thinking of The Matrix when Neo has his epiphany at the end and becomes mega-badass as a good example) I don't see the problem with allowing the audience to cheer. Going to the movies is supposed to be an emotional experience.
See, this is strange, because my experiences with movies are more in line with what Morley does. Yet we live in the same basic area, and there are only so many theaters, but you report that your movie experiences are in line with what Morley thinks happens.

Are you living in Bizzaro Raleigh? Am I living in Bizzaro Raleigh? People are all but dead silent when I go to the movies. Hell, even during comedic scenes laughter is barely roused out of the audience.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2011, 03:09:44 pm »

See, this is strange, because my experiences with movies are more in line with what Morley does. Yet we live in the same basic area, and there are only so many theaters, but you report that your movie experiences are in line with what Morley thinks happens.

Are you living in Bizzaro Raleigh? Am I living in Bizzaro Raleigh? People are all but dead silent when I go to the movies. Hell, even during comedic scenes laughter is barely roused out of the audience.
That's what you get for going to see "You Don't Mess With the Zohar".  :P

I dunno...granted, we go out very rarely to the theatres nowdays but I remember plenty of cheering with movies like The Matrix, Serenity, Avatar...basically anything fanboyish. It also could be the advent of 3D. Those big clunky glasses kind of take you out of the group experience, because you don't see the other people nearly as much. I'm trying to think....the last two theaters I've been to were the IMAX at Exploris and Crossroads 20. crossroads was for "Date Night" which was amusing but not great. small crowd, pretty quiet. IMAX was Avatar which had lots of cheering and oohing and aahing.

Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2011, 03:26:47 pm »

I think the most (and really only) loud and public response I've seen at a movie was actually from a friend of mine. He shouted "And that's how he became king of the monkeys!" during the part of the 4th Indiana Jones movie where Indiana's son was swinging on vines. It should be noted that immediately afterwards he walked out of the cinema, and promptly demanded his money back.

Going to the movies is supposed to be an emotional experience.

I'm English, we keep our emotions inside unless they are the emotions of sarcasm and tutting.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 03:31:02 pm by MorleyDev »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2011, 03:32:42 pm »

*dons monocle*
Indeed. Frightful, what?

Beastly Yanks with their gallivanting and cocksuredness.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2011, 03:36:14 pm »

i'm italian.
we too do not applaud clap or anything until after the movies.
we laugh if it's funny.
we cry if it's sad.
we make sarcastic remarks to friends nearby without shouting.
"yes...and that's why you should not look into the hole...it's a me mario thing"
(nerd and horrible joke, made sense for the film though)
but we do not clap. we usually go out and speak about the film after it's finished.
i mean...why must you clap? it's not like they will see you clapping and say thank you.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2011, 03:40:02 pm »

I dunno...it just seems like a recognizable way to express your appreciation? I've been with groups of friends watching a TV episode together, and if it was the finale or a particularly good episode, we'd clap at the final credits.

Next you'll be telling me it's pointless to yell helpful advice at my TV during sporting events.

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2011, 03:42:50 pm »

Next you'll be telling me it's pointless to yell helpful advice at my TV during sporting events.
i'm sorry, but it's pointless. they can't hear you...has your mind shattered now that you know the truth of tv?
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.
Pages: [1] 2