Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Applauding Movies?  (Read 1643 times)

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
Re: Applauding Movies?
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2011, 03:49:57 pm »

Next you'll be telling me it's pointless to yell helpful advice at my TV during sporting events.
i'm sorry, but it's pointless. they can't hear you...has your mind shattered now that you know the truth of tv?
No. No! That's not true! That's impossible!
*falls out of the bottom of a floating city*
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2011, 03:58:58 pm »

People clapped at the end of Hostel when the hero caught the bad guy out of nowhere and killed him.

Other than that I've never seen anyone who wasn't a gigantic dorkballoon applaud at a movie theater.
Shoes...

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2011, 04:00:31 pm »

I've been known to applaud my computer after it finishes a particularly long loading screen.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2011, 04:40:23 pm »

We don't have a cinema around here, i don't remeber when we did, i think it was a long time ago, like, Finding Neemo long time ago.But i do sometimes cheer for certain shows/movies/stuff, they are very rare though, that's how i usually know they're good, when you get from sitting comfortably in your chair to shouting at the top of your lungs and jumping at the screen without noticing it, that is a damn good show.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2011, 05:04:42 pm »

At this point I think it's just been reduced to a cynical marketing ploy. People will applaud because maybe they're high on the endorphins and what not they get from a movie they enjoyed. But it gets turned around to fuel the whole blockbuster industry so reporters can write favorably on it. I'm jaded enough to think that in major venues for AAA movies on release weekend, the studios pay a few thousand dollars to put plants in the audience for just this reason. If you have a theater full of people who probably passably enjoyed a movie, and five dudes in the audience in your employ clap at the end of it, you other members of the crowd going and all that gets reported as how your movie is "storming" the box office in its first week.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

ILikePie

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me Ron
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2011, 05:29:26 pm »

Israelis applaud to anything, but that's because we're who we are. The whole theatre starts screaming when the hero accomplishes something, when the credits roll, etc.
We also clap our hands when the plane touches down. I don't really understand why, but I can't help but join in.

Haschel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2011, 06:17:27 pm »

I have to ask: Why the hell do American's applaud at movies?
I have to ask: Why the hell do people outside of America make obscure generalizations of things Americans do that they aren't even certain is accurate?

Really though, I can't say I've ever heard applause at a movie theater and I go about as often as any average person probably does. I would also be pretty pissed at people who do this, unless it is a reasonable situation where applause wouldn't detract from the movie itself (I can't think of many situations like that, however).

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2011, 06:21:03 pm »

Yea, only weirdos applaud at screens. I guess if your at a premier and the director and actors are there, sure, clap for your life, but otherwise your a fool.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2011, 06:21:29 pm »

In Britain the social convention for seeing a movie is as follows: you sit in silence, except if it's funny when you are allowed to laugh for a few seconds. You can occasionally (but very rarely) making comments (usually sarcastic) to your friends. Then as you leave at the end of the movie, when out of the theatre room, you start discussing opinions between each other.

You don't hoot and holler at the screen, that would get you thrown out of the cinema.
Wow, that sounds exactly like what happens at every theater I have ever gone to in the United States. The only clapping I've ever heard is a slow clap for the hero of a B-movie trying so hard to defeat the bad guy but failing repeatedly.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2011, 06:27:59 pm »

Yeah, the only time I've ever heard anyone applauding or whistling at a movie was the Star Wars re-release in the 90's, at the beginning when the lights dimmed, and the end.  Because c'mon, you're seeing Star Wars in the theater, the way it was meant to be seen, that's worth whistling over.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Detonate

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2011, 06:32:11 pm »

I don't think I've ever seen an audience applauding, but maybe that's because I don't watch a lot of movies. For my area it's just fright, laughter, and baaaw'ing.
Looks like that poison wasn`t good for their eyes at all.
I never thought I'd say this, but Nietzsche is just adorable.

Shambling Zombie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2011, 06:33:07 pm »

I don't like people making heaps of noise while I'm at the theatre. Keep a lid on it, sheesh.

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2011, 06:42:00 pm »

yeah, never seen that happen around here except for maybe 1-2 instances during the Lord of the Rings films.
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.

thobal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2011, 06:42:32 pm »

I the only time I've seen actual applause was in the art-house at the end of a particularly stunning martial arts film. But that was prime time and packed.

It can also be a way of telling the staff "more films like this"!

Which can happen in a smaller art house where they really have to pick and choose what to bring in.

Actually, we might have clapped at the end of Bubba Ho-Tep as well, I dont remember. But again, that was at the art house.
Signature goes here.

tehstefan

• Bay Watcher
  • R.I.P Bro. You were too good for this place
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2011, 10:31:46 pm »

Yeah, my mom claps at the end of a movie. I never got why. Ever.
I suspect you've never tried doing many illegal things yet in your game. The second the CCS knows you're "active", they'll come down on you like the hammer of God.
Pages: 1 [2]