Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: What's the secret to a long lasting fort?  (Read 5722 times)

Nameless Archon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What's the secret to a long lasting fort?
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2011, 04:02:29 pm »

I end up having WAY too many migrants than I know what to do with
Plan for 300 dwarves.

I quickly run out of space (favouring a linear fortress, rather than hundreds of z-levels to cope)
Humans build linear fortresses. Dwarves dig down.

I can't find magma/bring it to the surface...
Magma is DOWN. (Also, in volcanos.)

ohgoditburns

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2011, 04:34:42 pm »

Learn to love the caverns. Build all your residences into the cavern walls, and add windows so they can look out. Have your animals graze on cave moss in front. Don't wall yourself entirely off. Leave some openings, and station guards. I tend to build my forts into the caverns right away. Bring two miners and two axedwarves, and strike the earth!
The landscape routinely being soaked in flammable fluids somehow seems less than benevolent.

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2011, 05:57:47 pm »

or just enlist them all in the militia and send them to their death/glory against cave creatures. Those that survive proving their worth.

A rite of passage?
 ^_^

Yes pretty much  8). Once Food production is running in excess. Unless they are an armor or weapon-smith or like a weapon or armor piece they get conscripted. The nice side bonus is it justifies me building mahooosive mausoleum/catacomb levels to house those that die coffins.

Carnes

• Bay Watcher
  • Near a good old-time canteen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2011, 07:02:23 pm »

You might need a pop pap.  120 is a sane value.  Plenty of bodies for the military after filling every labor role.

Lectorog has given you life saving advice too.  Use the Therapist :)
You call that breaking my spine?! You Forgotten Beast ladies wouldn't know how to break a spine if-
SNAP
AUGHHH! MY SPINE!

Qwernt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2011, 07:27:32 pm »

I disagree on the farming issue.
1 legendary grower is better than several novice growers, in my opinion. More efficient use of land and seeds.

Better to put "useless" migrants to work on a job where skill has no impact on quality. For example milling, threshing, potash making, wood burning, etc.

Got to Agree with Mushroo.  1 good farmer per 60 dwarves.  Much better.  A good farm with a 3x3 farm can feed 60 dwarves with ease.  a 5x5 farm with a good farmer can feed a nation (together with standard cat/dog/imigrant animals meat).  An no, I have never used lye. 

That said, I tend to pop cap at 20 or 60.  Just to put the pressure on.  With 20 you have almost enough people to have a real fort.  With 60 my machine can still run fine.  When I do go to 200, things get slow, and that is what usually kills my long lasting forts...

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2011, 09:27:22 pm »

One of the biggest tips to succeed is to think of minimizing FPS from the start.

Another one is to stop making mugs as trade crafts after the first year. You will want less items after a few years, and crafts will be more than enough. Even then, you will want to occasionally retire your stone crafters to hauling goblinite, and do your best trading off the surplus. Too many items  causes lag, so don't strip mine and a-smash your spare stone. And build your crafts stockpile and crafts workshop right next to the trade depot.

Boogeyman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2011, 05:50:21 am »

Good planning and experience. Every time a fort falls you should learn something new and the next time it shouldn't be a problem. Once you are sufficiently experienced to keep forts going on fps is the only enemy.

My current fort is 14 years with fps of 30-40.

tmrt

• Bay Watcher
  • Black-Clad Voyeur
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2011, 08:32:27 am »

Admittedly I am a bit of a newbie, but I only ever make it to 3 years before my fort descends into utter chaos.

I end up having WAY too many migrants than I know what to do with, I quickly run out of space (favouring a linear fortress, rather than hundreds of z-levels to cope), I can't find magma/bring it to the surface... and because of all this I'm quickly running out of patience, Task Manager close, cry and then come back.

HELP!

(the crying was a joke... really. Honestly.)

If migrants pose a problem, you can always send unneeded or useless dwarves to the drawbridge of death as soon as they arrive. And Dwarf Therapist really helps as well.

Mushroo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2011, 09:11:40 am »

I'll never understand why people insist on murdering migrants instead of simply lowering the population cap in d_init. Sigh.

tmrt

• Bay Watcher
  • Black-Clad Voyeur
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2011, 09:27:31 am »

I'll never understand why people insist on murdering migrants instead of simply lowering the population cap in d_init. Sigh.

Don't get it wrong, migrants can be useful. Skilled armorers or even bone carvers will receive a permission to enter the fortress. But all those beekeepers and cheese makers are to be disposed of before they'll even get a chance to befriend everyone. That is perfectly justified.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2011, 08:23:44 pm »

Except for destroying the clothes. My, is that wasteful. Just drop them a few hundred feet.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Sandrew

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2011, 08:38:57 pm »

Don't get it wrong, migrants can be useful. Skilled armorers or even bone carvers will receive a permission to enter the fortress. But all those beekeepers and cheese makers are to be disposed of before they'll even get a chance to befriend everyone. That is perfectly justified.

They can still carry arms. Or rocks for that matter. In my 60 dwarf fortress I only have 10 idlers at all times, all of them essential or with valuable skills. The useless bunch is busy hauling stuff or firing bolts at sieges.

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2011, 09:10:19 pm »

The trick to having a long-lasting fort...

is to not have a short-lasting one.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Jiokuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Morning comes whether you set the alarm or not
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2011, 09:49:33 pm »

Learn to avoid things that kill forts; FPS Death, Starvation, FB Syndromes, Tantrum Spirals, Loyalty Cascades, Insane Dwarves, Correct use of !!Magma!!, Siege Defense, GCS (and other nasties), Boredom, Incorrect use of Water, ectera.

as for immigrants I draft them into a Laborer/Fodder Caste (which is my only caste that has any hauling labors). If I have enough of those, then I kill magma dogs (as pets) to force a tantrum spiral and save the berserk ones for sieges.

katana

• Bay Watcher
  • EVERY TIME I POST PEOPLE RUN AWAY
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2011, 09:56:42 pm »

... Correct use of !!Magma!! ... Incorrect use of Water, ectera.
???
AND IF THIS FAILS MY IDENTICAL TWIN BROTHER WHO WILL APPEAR IN THE MIGRANT WAVE THAT ARRIVES AFTER MY DEMISE WILL REPLACE ME.
(Tldr: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS FRIENDLY FIRE SALT)
Pages: 1 [2] 3