Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Where's the iron!  (Read 923 times)

Agith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Where's the iron!
« on: July 06, 2011, 11:41:52 am »

Ack I have made four new worlds.... Embarked about 6 times and in all the maps there is no type of iron ore whatsoever... There's Tetrahedrite but that's pretty much it... It's starting to piss me off, I have set minerals to rare for 2 maps, sprase for 1, and common for 1 and yet still no damn iron! Any help would be appreciated.

Gyvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Where's the iron!
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 11:43:24 am »

Any hematite, limonite, or magnetite?  There is no natural iron, it only exists as those 3 ores.

Lexx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 11:43:42 am »

You'll want to go the opposite direction. Rare or spares makes them less likely to happen. Or go to custom world gen and set mineral scarcity to 0.

Agith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 11:45:16 am »

Damn that's a quick reaction!  :D

Alright well there is no type of iron ore whatsoever, I have never made a custom world gen....Hmm

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 11:48:07 am »

Don't bother with custom world gen. Too much work. Just keep re-embarking until you find iron.  :P

Even with normal mineral appearance you'll find it fairly often. All 3 ores are fairly common. One of the best parts is that it's rather easy to find - it's never going to be very deep down.

Agith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 11:50:52 am »

Eh I tend to start with deep soil so it's relatively deep down ( Of course not cave level just until the soil ends)

Agith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 11:52:19 am »

So what exactly are minerals for? Are they basicly just rocks?

LemonFrosted

• Bay Watcher
  • I can't really make you love me
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2011, 12:29:36 pm »

So what exactly are minerals for? Are they basicly just rocks?
Minerals actually adjusts the rate of ores and precious stones. If you want more metal and gems then you make minerals plentiful.

Agith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2011, 12:52:06 pm »

Wait...Doesn't the wiki says that it's minerals or metal, spare minerals equals more metal ore for example.

LemonFrosted

• Bay Watcher
  • I can't really make you love me
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2011, 01:00:23 pm »

Wait...Doesn't the wiki says that it's minerals or metal, spare minerals equals more metal ore for example.
Quote from: TheWiki
Mineral Occurrence
This is a rather important parameter for fortress mode. Sparse means that many areas will only have one or two types of metal ore, if any, which can be very annoying to people until the economy is fully implemented and other metals can more easily be obtained via trade. New players should probably turn this up to Frequent.

Agith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2011, 01:03:21 pm »

Hehe I just put it up to everywhere, we'll see how this turns out since I've had frequent on in the past and still only gotten tetrahedrite.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2011, 01:29:59 pm »

As to what he was probably thinking of: Doesn't increasing frequency lower the quantity found, or something like that?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2011, 01:33:32 pm »

The iron is being carried by the goblins.  They should deliver it to you once or twice a year once your fortress gets a decent population.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2011, 01:35:31 pm »

The iron is being carried by the goblins.  They should deliver it to you once or twice a year once your fortress gets a decent population.
For further reference, see http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/DF2010:Goblin_christmas
     and http://df.magmawiki.com/index.php/Goblinite