Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Real survival games?  (Read 9469 times)

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
Re: Real survival games?
« Reply #15 on: July 06, 2011, 01:40:35 am »

Yeah, I tried Notrium and it seemed nice enough. I never got the hang of it though. It has many survival aspects: you need food and warmth. Resources are limited - you'll have to create weapons yourself from the stuff you scavenge.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #16 on: July 06, 2011, 01:51:36 am »

PacMan is a survival game. You basically do everything you can to stay alive as long as you can while you forage for resources (dots) and weapons (power dots).
I got nothing

Jerimy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2011, 02:15:15 am »

Project Zomboid is a survival game. You run from zombies while searching for food. You have to deal with pain from wounds, panic, and all sorts of other stuff while doing so

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2011, 02:25:12 am »

PacMan is a survival game. You basically do everything you can to stay alive as long as you can while you forage for resources (dots) and weapons (power dots).

And eventually in map 256 the World ends and you die.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2011, 02:44:38 am »

If only they had the balls to add vitamin deficiency or heat stroke.

I have a vitamin deficiency in real life, and it plays so little a part in my day to day life that I can safely say it wouldn't be a fun gameplay mechanic. There is literally nothing interesting about a vitamin deficiency.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2011, 03:00:29 am »

Sometimes, unintentionally, games become survival games, many times i have miscalculated an orbit in Orbiter, and then racing towards time to save my crew's life, or when i fail at that landing and cause some kind of malfunction in my vessel making me have to make oxygen, water and food supplies, then set up a base and fly another ship there to rescue them. In Ace of Spades, your little outpost could be searched by the enemy, and you would have to hide. Minecraft isnt really survival, but this kind of thing also happens there, stuck in a desert with no wood and most of your pals being below 3 hearts of HP.
I see no place on the site that says you can do that. So I'm gonna try it anyways. Seems like a good game.
No, no you can't do that. Explain.

With UCGO and UMMU and various addons, you got crew onboard to fly around with and keep alive, and you can load ships compatible with UCGO with supplies, and theres this addon that makes ISS and other manned stations consume oxygen, water and food and produce trash, so you have to resupply it with water and food every 6 real months or so, and you also have to take the  trash and either leave it in space, de-orbit it or throw it farther into space. And i have tried doing a bad landing resulting in the vessel being incapable of flight, making me have to set up camps and whatnot. This is even more dangerous on forgeign planets as i have to ration my supplies for everyone, or things would go shit.
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

Singularity-SRX

• Bay Watcher
  • *shudders*
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2011, 07:20:22 am »

Life
Quote from: Vertigon
slamming his left hand into the baby's face
I came to this forum with no intention of ever uttering that phrase.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 06, 2011, 07:27:20 am »

Life

Tried it. Graphics were cool but controls sucked. Took me several months even to learn how to walk properly. But yeah, that's about as *real* as a survival game gets.

Elfeater

• Bay Watcher
  • Max Yeskly the dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 06, 2011, 07:35:26 am »

Life

Tried it. Graphics were cool but controls sucked. Took me several months even to learn how to walk properly. But yeah, that's about as *real* as a survival game gets.
Yeah and SUCH A LONG TUTORIAL i mean damn what did the devs think they were doing!
I for one support our child snatching overlords.
there is a difference between droping red numbers representing magma on Es representing elves, and finding it hot when a girl moans like a retarded seal

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 06, 2011, 07:48:19 am »

Life
Oh yeah, that old game. Played it.
Hey, you guys hear something about a sequel? Heard it was coming out... Oh, about December 21st 2012?
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 06, 2011, 07:56:21 am »

We know of minecraft, but that is more creative than survival, pussies and their antigrief.
Haven & Hearth might be your thing if you feel that way about Minecraft. It's got a very bloodthirsty community, and the devs approve of it.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 06, 2011, 08:26:25 am »

Guess the S.T.A.L.K.E.R. series is "survival" ... they're closer than New veagas atleast.

Pretty much everyone wants to kill you and steal your canned food and you want to do the same to them. Then you gotta worry about sleeping, shelter (blow outs, faction wars), environment and money.

Offtopic:
God after just reading Haven & Hearth before talking about Stalker I just imagined a mmo Stalker games.
No levels, all gear based, perma death and every single person is out to steal your canned foods ... glorious.

Qloos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 06, 2011, 08:31:11 am »

Real survival game
Rogue Survivor.
http://roguesurvivor.blogspot.com/

GaxkangtheUnbound

• Bay Watcher
  • To the skies!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 06, 2011, 10:28:12 am »

Life
Oh yeah, that old game. Played it.
Hey, you guys hear something about a sequel? Heard it was coming out... Oh, about December 21st 2012?
I've heard it was a hoax.
Proud of my heritage.
Prepare to lose your sanity.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 06, 2011, 10:32:57 am »

I do not see how DF is a 'real' survival game while apparently minecraft is not.

In Minecraft you can entomb yourself in rock and let the game run forever without dieing. That seems to lack some survival aspects.

In DF you can make a small underground farm and a well in your fort, leave one Urist McFarmer inside, seal the entrance and let the game run forever until Urist McFarmer gets mood.

I do agree with Minecraft not being survival game though.

Did you say "farm"? As in, Urist has to eat? Survival has mass amounts of repetition like eating and drinking and such. Life has taught me this. Pardon me while I use the toilet...
Pages: 1 [2] 3