Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: moving a named item.  (Read 910 times)

cephalo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
moving a named item.
« on: July 05, 2011, 01:58:52 pm »

What would be the easiest way to move a named weapon into its wielder's tomb when he dies? Once an item is named it can't be designated for dumping.
PerfectWorldDF World creator utility for Dwarf Fortress.

My latest forts:
Praisegems - Snarlingtool - Walledwar

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: moving a named item.
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 02:10:55 pm »

Make a one-square stockpile. Make its settings as specific as possible to only allow that item. If other items get put in, dump them temporarily until the desired item gets put in.

That's the best idea I have.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 03:03:45 pm »

Remove/cancel/somehow block all stockpiles.
Build a weapon rack in the tomb.
Make a barracks from this, a squad, and assign items to be stored in the barracks.
Assign anyone to the squad, their uniform should only be the weapon you want.  Set their uniform to "civilian when off-duty".

Now, your military dwarf should equip his uniform (the named weapon), and then you send him off-duty.  He then stores the weapon on the weapon rack (in the tomb).  You then forbid the weapon by selecting it with the "t" command, to view the building's contents.  You reactivate your stockpiles and resume as normal.

This way, you've put the weapon on a rack in the tomb.  I think this can be modified to allow weapons to be placed on the ground, if you make an armory from a bed or such, and include a stockpile with no bins.

Normally, haulers will take the weapon off the rack and into a stockpile, defeating the purpose, sometimes the dwarf who just placed the item on the rack, will then haul it, making armories less than useless.

C0NNULL

• Bay Watcher
  • A bastion of crazy in a small area near Hurricanes
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 04:37:12 pm »

To Girlinhat,

It is answers like this, that once you look at them seem so simple that you feel the fool for not coming up with it on your own, that make this game great.
(Or the logic behind it great... Or the semi-logic behind... Or the non-logic... Or the...)

Connull McUrist has crashed. Press Ctrl-Alt-Del to continue.
The cat, Anom, approves of Scamps' methods. She admires fine scars on her human's body. She purrs in a method most disturbing. She thinks Scamps needs to train the human better. She rolls on the floor in a luxurious pile of catnip. She attacks her human lightly.
Rimamused  -  Dorfen Itza

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 04:45:40 pm »

Wait, weapon racks actually work for storing weapons now?
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 10:39:34 pm »

They do, half-assed.  You have to have a "civilian when off duty" uniform, have an available rack/stand, and have it set to store squad equipment, and THEN they will stash it on the rack.  And immediately haul it away.

andyman564

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2011, 10:45:03 pm »

They do, half-assed.  You have to have a "civilian when off duty" uniform, have an available rack/stand, and have it set to store squad equipment, and THEN they will stash it on the rack.  And immediately haul it away.

wow, i never knew that... i assume armor stands work the same way then.
Yeah.  Thus why I didn't make a trap.  In it's current state the fortress didn't need a trap, the whole damn fortress is a trap.

o_O[WTFace]

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2011, 01:41:49 am »

The best way is probably to use some sort of display case mod.  It basically is just a building that you make using a craft item. 

In vanilla DF, the natural habitat of an artifact is a bin in the back of a stockpile somewhere.  Maybe you can order the bin dumped and forbid the artifact inside it?  I think that would work, of course then it would be in a bin in the tomb.

If that isn't good enough, rig up the tomb with magma plumbing (or giant badgers, or w/e), assign the weapon to an expendable dwarf, order them inside and pull the lever.  You might get a ghost out of it too, if you are willing to spend an Urist like that. 
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 02:20:09 am by o_O[WTFace] »
...likes Dwarf Fortresses for their terrifying features...

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2011, 08:17:35 am »

wow, i never knew that... i assume armor stands work the same way then.
I briefly experimented with a shift-changing military during one fort.  The result was that I observed armor being placed onto armor racks and weapons onto weapon stands for a brief period, until a well-meaning hauler would grab them.  It also tended to freak out during uniform changes.  If your soldier ever upgraded armor, then the old suit just kinda gets left there.  With this in mind, and the fact that they never replaced their civilian clothes when off-duty, I just went for full-time military anyways.