Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: So hopelessly confused  (Read 3480 times)

Dizzard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
So hopelessly confused
« on: July 05, 2011, 12:02:23 pm »

I downloaded this today, it looks really fun and I spent ages on the legends mode looking at the history of the world that was generated. Then I played Dwarf Fortress and got completely terrified by it...so I decided it might be a better introduction to try adventurer mode first.

So now I'm playing adventure mode and I'm probably even more confused there. All I can do is move the X around the screen, I've tried pressing loads of the key buttons like k to talk to someone or u to interact with a house but no luck. The tutorial on the wikia is absolutely no help because it tells me to press k to talk to people, I don't even know where the people are to talk to. :( Plus it said I'd spawn somewhere near a peasant hut and I don't see one.

Is the red @ supposed to be a house?

Another thing...I saw a video on youtube and the graphics seemed different (a good bit easier on the eye) Did I download an old version? :S

I want to keep at this cause I think it'll be worth it....but I really have never been more confused in my life. I've also never sounded like so much of a noob in my life. (and trust me I don't like being in a nooby position at all)

Isher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: So hopelessly confused
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 12:23:32 pm »

Use phoebus:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=57557.0

Use beefmo's units, they are the best. You can select in the phoebus setup.

Now you sortof see the world. You can only see one level of terrain at a time, so any (relatively) empty area is just space but it could be open air or deeply embedded rock, you'll get the hang of it.

You should start next to what appears to be a square, you can go to the entrance and people will become visible. Use k to select them.

At some point in the future you can try the game without graphics (ascii) but it's sorta like the Matrix, until you can see it you're gonna be lost.

« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 12:31:54 pm by Isher »

Dizzard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 12:46:32 pm »

Thanks, I figured out what I was doing wrong. So I'm getting around a bit now.

Although I tried installing the phoebus graphic tiles but the game doesn't look any different than before. I'll need to look at the instructions again.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 12:53:53 pm by Dizzard »

Isher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 01:08:45 pm »

After updating the game, run DF_savegame_updater.bat to update your savegames, run DF_phoebus_init_updater.bat to update your inits, then play the game.
^^^from phoebus instructions

Did you have capslock on? That caused me quite the headache the first time it ever happened.

(EDIT)Found related image:

« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 01:31:37 pm by Isher »

Dizzard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 01:59:38 pm »

The problem was actually that I didn't realize the X wasn't actually my character moving around. I must have pressed l (as in "ell" not i) almost as soon as I started playing so that confused me.

Does anyone have any tips for finding civilization? I've been using fast travel to go to areas on the map marked with a "0" symbol. They're fortresses/cities right? Except I then entered a place I thought was the fortress but I think it turned out be a dungeon because I heard cackling and the bogeyman almost got me.

I'm also very drowsy but I'm not in a safe enough location to sleep.

The combat is fun though, very descriptive. I managed to kill a few wolves and a bandit (although I don't think it was the guy I was supposed to kill for my quest...but one of his underlings)
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 02:03:32 pm by Dizzard »

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 02:12:27 pm »

The circles are fortresses, not dungeons.
Dungeons come next version.
And as for the bogeymen, don't travel alone at night.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Dizzard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2011, 02:17:48 pm »

I'm still looking for the capital of Moistenedgrip.

I guess I just need to keep at it. I managed to find civilization of some sort anyway, a small farmers home and he let me stay for the night....my character is about to collapse from exhaustion. (Can that actually happen if they get too sleepy?)

As for the bogeyman, I read the wiki that the most likely place to get a companion is in a fortress...which I haven't found yet. :S

edit: As for the phobeas instructions, I don't know what you mean by "update your game". How? In what way?
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 02:20:43 pm by Dizzard »

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2011, 02:28:34 pm »

Here's another tip. If you find a black circle, or a #, don't go in there unless you're well armed.
In the lair (black circle), there might be a night creature, which could kill you swiftly. Did I mention that they turn others into night creatures and have children with them?!
As for the labryrinths (#), it's home to a minotaur. Minotaurs are very powerful. And they're the weakest semi megabeast.

Isher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2011, 02:34:45 pm »

I don't know what you mean by "update your game". How? In what way?

Sorry not sure why he says it that way. Just, after you've installed, run those two bat files and it will give you graphics.

Dizzard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2011, 02:39:39 pm »

On the fast travel screen, what are the white vertical rectangles supposed to represent? I see clusters of them every now and then.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2011, 02:40:20 pm »

Hamlets and towns.
Yellow rectangles represent shops.

Dizzard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2011, 02:43:14 pm »

Are Fortresses supposed to be friendly and have people in them? On the fast travel screen I stopped right at the front of one of the fortress icons and then went straight ahead. I came across a large building (that looked like it was made out of the same wall as the small hamlets I've come across) however when I entered it was all grassy with monsters wandering inside. (That goes for the supposed "Capital" too)

The capital city/fortress can't be destroyed can it? :S

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2011, 02:44:21 pm »

Animals in fortresses mean that the fortress has been abandoned.

Dizzard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2011, 02:47:29 pm »

Hmm might it have something to do with the fact that I put the history of the world on the largest setting?

Should I generate a new world or do you think I'll still be able to make do with this current world?

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2011, 02:49:20 pm »

Yeah, make a new world.
By the year 1000, most forts are already history.
Pages: [1] 2