Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Single Material Artifacts and Ice  (Read 2032 times)

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Single Material Artifacts and Ice
« on: July 05, 2011, 12:38:01 am »

My gem cutter just got a secretive mood and whisked away a bone opal to the jewler's shop, immediately beginning work.

Am I just going to get a masterfully cut gem?

Okay, that's over. New topic: Deadly ice in fortress mode.

Lucky it was just a rabbit. This happened to an entire wave of migrants on a stream once. The entire wave, almost a dozen dwarves, all frozen.

Post your experiences with ice, if you want.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 12:46:03 am by Lectorog »

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
Re: Single Material Artifacts
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2011, 12:39:16 am »

Most likely.
I think Gem Setters were the ones who can make furniture out of gems. Or maybe Cutters could do it as well, but most of the times when Gem Cutters have mooded for me, they seem to really fucking like their perfect low-quality gems.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Single Material Artifacts
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2011, 12:44:01 am »

That was quick. Already finished. "Perfect bone opal." Perfectly not tradable. There's an image of two fungiwoods on it. This guy really just doesn't care. Easy route to legendary.

That being concluded, I think I'll change the subject.

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
Re: Single Material Artifacts and Ice
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2011, 01:10:37 am »

"This epic moat will keep the zombies out!"

* A vial force of darkness has arrived!

"lol you can't get in"

*glances at river

"Awwwww shi-"

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2011, 01:11:49 am »

"lol you can't get in"

*glances at river

"Awwwww shi-"
Hehehe
Change "zombies" to "goblins" and that was my first fort ever.
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Pukako

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 01:12:51 am »

Early fort - My miners breaching a shallow pool for farming purposes, right on winter, and all being encased in ice.

Oh how we laughed, just before the suicide spiral...

Because DF players are heavily into pain.

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2011, 01:14:50 am »

I have a flash-flood based 12-something Z-levels deep death-drop pit at my fort entrance tunnel. It uses the lake above to load itself. My lake freezes at the end of autumn.

Let's hope I never will need to use it twice before Spring, what with the reserves only having enough water for one effective use.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2011, 02:04:16 am »

Another thing about ice... Don't designate "ponds" to be filled (for farming) during the winter. For the few minutes I left them, it was nearly impossible to see anything useful through all of the cancellation spam. "Urist needs a bucket for this." A bucket is found. "Urist can't find any water." The bucket is replaced. The cycle repeats. Don't expect the dwarves to ever realize that they can't fill until there is water on the map.

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2011, 09:53:16 am »

And if you absolutely must build an ice death trap around the primary entrance to your fort, and dwarves running to and fro are always a few mechanism-wired doors away from a wall of insta-freezing water, it is best that you mind ghosts. Ghosts open doors, even those impossible to open except by lever pull.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2011, 10:57:08 am »

"lol you can't get in"

*glances at river

"Awwwww shi-"
Hehehe
Change "zombies" to "goblins" and that was my first fort ever.

And that is exactly why I always build a wall on the inside of my moat.
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

Gyvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2011, 11:38:25 am »

Early fort - My miners breaching a shallow pool for farming purposes, right on winter, and all being encased in ice.

Oh how we laughed, just before the suicide spiral...

That's nothing.  I tried channeling magma directly through a glacier.  oh, the fun my miners had.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2011, 12:29:31 pm »

I once had a fort at the bottom of a river canyon that was frozen for half the year. Since river canyons have sheer cliff walls, migrants and traders always arrived along the frozen river. The elves always came just before the thaw. Good times.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2011, 02:14:46 pm »

Back to the artifact... My dwarves won't move it. I need it moved, along with other things, so I made a stockpile including cut gems. Does an artifact gem not count as a cut one? If not, how can I move it? It can't be dumped.

EDIT: Another single-material artifact to call into question... a larch chair. One of my carpenters made an artifact chair out of only one larch log. Encircled with bands of larch. It's only worth 2400. I tried to use it to make my mayor an amazing all-purpose room, but I hadn't realized how cheap it was...
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 02:27:02 pm by Lectorog »

Randy Gnoman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2011, 02:51:15 pm »

I'm pretty sure the perfect gems count as large gems, so they're actually crafts (same catrgory as jewelry, etc.).  And a 2400 chair is still nice enough to make a pretty decent office for a mid-level dwarven bureaucrat. 

Anathema

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2011, 08:15:00 pm »

Back to the artifact... My dwarves won't move it. I need it moved, along with other things, so I made a stockpile including cut gems. Does an artifact gem not count as a cut one? If not, how can I move it? It can't be dumped.

EDIT: Another single-material artifact to call into question... a larch chair. One of my carpenters made an artifact chair out of only one larch log. Encircled with bands of larch. It's only worth 2400. I tried to use it to make my mayor an amazing all-purpose room, but I hadn't realized how cheap it was...

That may be low compared to other artifacts, but it's still valuable compared to normal masterpiece chairs; better than any stone and most metal, it'd take masterpiece gold/aluminum/platinum to beat it (assuming you wouldn't waste weapon metals on a chair).
The good news is that ghosts die of old age.
Pages: [1] 2