Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: More N00b Questions  (Read 777 times)

IDDQDwarf

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
More N00b Questions
« on: July 04, 2011, 08:45:01 pm »

1) I have a bunch of goblins trapped in cages from various sieges/ambushes. Before I mass pit them, is there a way to take their equipment? Is it possible to kill them in the cages? Will they eventually starve if left in the cages long enough?

2) After a dwarf gets a strange mood and makes an artifact, is there an easy way to find it? Is it possible that a dwarf has claimed it and is carrying it around? I can not locate it in my stockpile

3) From the wiki, regarding civilian Alerts "Normally, you need to add citizens to a burrow manually when defining it to have them respect the boundaries. But there is another way. Burrows can be added to alerts in the military alerts screen. When you set the civilian alert level to an alert including a defined burrow, all non military dwarves will be restricted to that burrow for as long as the alert is in place. " Whenever I put in a civilian alert, my citizens still run outside my fortress chasing socks. I must be doing something wrong, any ideas?

4) Nest boxes. I built some, and I have some tamed egg layers, but they don't seem to lay eggs. Do I need to assign them to the boxes somehow?

Thanks for the all the help, my apologies in advance if the answers to any of the above are obvious.

Clover Magic

• Bay Watcher
  • [NOCTURNAL]
    • View Profile
Re: More N00b Questions
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 08:56:08 pm »

1.) Yes, you can.  Simply mark it all for dumping.  An easy way is to press d -> b -> d over the cage, designating it like mining, and then k to look at it and find the cage, and unmark that, since you don't want the cage dumped.  Dwarves should trot up and strip the gobbos of their equipment.  (I think, I've never done it, lol.  Also make sure to have a garbage zone defined so they'll actually dump it, and not into lava or something.)

2.) What kind of artifact is it?  Most artifacts will be placed in the stockpile of the appropriate type.  If it was clothing, someone might be wearing it.  If you give your dwarves cabinets, you can also check those to see if it's been stored somewhere.  An exception is gem artifacts, they won't go to any stockpile for some reason, but just sit in the workshop.  Press t over the workshop it was made in to see if it's still there - a dwarf might not have hauled it yet.

3.) Have you assigned the burrow you want them in to the alert too?  If you haven't linked it through the military screen, they won't go.  Also try not letting them go outside with the Orders screen (press o)

4.) Nest boxes are claimed automatically, but egg layers don't lay constantly.  They also leave the box early if a dwarf collects the eggs.  Just keep watching the boxes, and if you want the eggs to hatch, be quick to forbid the eggs before the dwarves take them.  (Also make sure you have females, just in case).

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: More N00b Questions
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 08:58:03 pm »

You can take caged creatures' equipment away. First, mass reclaim the tiles the cages are in (d-b-c), then mass select them for mass dumping (d-b-d). Using the k-cursor, scroll to the cages themselves and remove the dump designation on them. Dwarves will come to the cages, take the items within the cages, and take them to a garbage dump. Alternatively, mark the appropriate items for dumping through the stocks menu.

Creatures in cages do not take damage. You could atom-smash the cages and the goblins with them, however, or otherwise destroy the cages in a place where the creature within cannot survive.

Your creatures are the only ones that need to eat, and not even all of yours do.

The easiest way to find an artifact is to use the (l)artifacts screen to identify its item type, then the stocks screen to zoom to it.

Dwarves won't carry around artifacts unless they have been assigned to use it as a military weapon.

For alerts: have you set the burrow to the alert? Also, is the appropriate alert active as the civilian alert?

Nest boxes are automatically claimed by egg-layers, but they cannot claim boxes outside of a burrow that they are assigned to.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!