Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Just got an artifact adamantine spear  (Read 5800 times)

johnny_cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Just got an artifact adamantine spear
« on: July 04, 2011, 05:36:07 pm »

Cloudyblamed the Harsh Workers, worth 1,009,200 dwarf bucks. It is encircled with bands of adamantine and studded with spikes of elf bone. Unfortunatly, my military is currently not worthy of such a cool weapon. I don't have any spear lords around. What should I do with it?

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Just got an artifact adamantine spear
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 05:47:12 pm »

Could put it in a spear trap in your dining room as a display.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

korvanos

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 05:48:18 pm »

Or just as a upright spear.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 05:50:01 pm »

Place it in a danger room. Use said danger room to train a spearlord. Deconstruct spear and give it to spearlord.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 05:53:49 pm »

Place it in a danger room. Use said danger room to train a spearlord. Deconstruct spear and give it to spearlord.
This. Or put it in magma (or otherwise light it on fire) and have it as an upright spear in your dining hall.

Number4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 07:44:12 pm »

Ehm. Don't stab your dwarves in a danger room with it, obviously. Give it to your best speardwarf, you have gotten an artifact with THE best material for this type of weapon. Skewer some goblins with it.

Edit: Clarification: If you need a better speardwarf, train a better speardwarf. You may want to use it in the meantime displaying it somewhere for happy thoughts, but this weapon DESERVES to taste serious blood.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 07:46:44 pm by Number4 »
Thanks for the suggestion, but Number4 is correct: [...] it would be easier and more predictable to just be a racist.

Did somebody just rule 34 two veins of metal?

Icee77

• Bay Watcher
  • I gave dogs [CAN_LEARN]. What have I DONE?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2011, 07:50:05 pm »

Have your best dwarf venture into the Carnival. When he falls, start a crusade to retrieve the spear and body. Entomb the body and whenever a dwarf becomes strong enough, send him into the Carnival again. And when the Spear has exactly 777 kills, burn the spear in magma to thank Armok for giving this wondrous gift to you.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2011, 07:54:16 pm »

And when the Spear has exactly 777 kills, burn the spear in magma to thank Armok for giving this wondrous gift to you.
Problem with that: artifacts don't burn.

Icee77

• Bay Watcher
  • I gave dogs [CAN_LEARN]. What have I DONE?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2011, 07:55:33 pm »

Encase it in obsidian?

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2011, 08:23:12 pm »

Screenshot?

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2011, 09:12:22 pm »

We need better physics: you could drop it from the top z-level and have it spear invaders with Armok's divine retribution.
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

ffaerie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2011, 09:20:31 pm »

It's not you, a multiplier of 250 is very silly to impose in first place, but everything has it's place in a fairy tale. Pretend you are living in a fairy-tale world with people around dying due to dehydration and getting their breast-fed babies impaled by spikes because the mom is irresponsible and drafted into military.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2011, 09:42:39 pm »

Seconding the danger room idea. If a dwarf can survive it, he is worthy.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2011, 10:17:19 pm »

I like the carnival crusader idea. You can train your champions by having them destroy a goblin siege singlehandedly.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2011, 10:25:38 pm »

I had an adamantine short sword, a thing of pure minimalist elegance, its sole decoration--the image of a square in adamantine.  Unfortunately in the 30+ history of the fort it only scored 4 kills (one a cyclops), despite being in the hands of a master swordsdwarf.  Problem is the sworddwarf would attack thus--adamantine sword for removing every important limb--and then the trusty low quality bronze short sword he wouldn't give up and named something anyway for the coup de grace.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?
Pages: [1] 2