Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Rant on FPS and stuff  (Read 6330 times)

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Rant on FPS and stuff
« Reply #30 on: July 21, 2011, 11:50:50 pm »

Pardon me, because it sounds like you know stuff about computers...

But the problems you're describing sound like memory problems.  Intermittent but severe slowdowns, with 30% processor usage, sure sounds like swapfile usage to me.

Now, I got an old computer, and I'm happy with 20 fps, but when I look, I see DF using maybe 500 megabytes.   Which is about what I've got.  Of course, I've got other stuff running, and so I get swap hiccups like that too.

Just saying-- look at your swapfile usage, and look for other programs you run alongside DF using more memory than they should, maybe instead of looking at DF, since DF isn't stressing your processors, and probably isn't stressing your memory either.  It's not like there's some line in the code that says, "If fps>99 then idle for a while for no good reason, wait 5 minutes, and do it again!"  If processor isn't being stressed, then either your OS is denying DF the opportunity to use as much processor time as you want it to, or there's some other, non-processor bottleneck.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

MaskedMiner

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 22, 2011, 12:54:44 am »

Wow, I can't even get past four or five years before I die ._.

...Ahem, anyway, this game is still in alpha despite being highly awesome and it will only continue to get more awesome, so if you are having that much problem with the game, maybe you should just take a looooooong break.

kardwill

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 22, 2011, 03:12:16 am »

Am I the only one with FPS capped at 50? Faster than that and keeping the ornery little buggers alive and reasonably happy becomes less of a strategy/management game and more like Whack-A-Mole.
I do too. I find the 30-50 range to be confortable : Quick enough that things happen, and slow enough that I can see them happen.
I like to see the little buggers live. 100 fps is like looking at an antfarm on crack.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 22, 2011, 03:12:22 am »

To be honest I think the game is amazingly playable for an alpha. Isn't it normal that many features are broken and yet to be corrected or implemented.
The fact that this game is fairly playable even though it's in the middle of developement is pretty neat.

Anyway, I play all my forts with a max of 40fps. I don't get why you'd want your game to play amazingly fast, to me at least the game feels a lot more involved when everything takes its time to complete, and you have the time to sit back and think things through as you watch your plans come to fruition.
Ofcourse I don't enjoy my fps dropping below 10, so I hope when this game is getting a performance improvement you won't have to worry to much about the game becoming sluggish.

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 22, 2011, 05:37:40 am »

I'm happy with very low FPS, in fact it's almost a completely different game, much more laid back. And even then (esp. combat) it sometimes feels too fast. In fact it stops me from starting a new fort because every time, I just can't cope with the dwarves zooming around so fast.

I do still take measures to keep it playable though, mainly only taking a 3x3 embark (my current fort might actually be 2x2, but it's too old for me to remember), and using dfhack to keep blood splatters away. Though that also has a lot to do with OCD about keeping the fort clean, and forgotten beasts with deadly blood...
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

Jake

• Bay Watcher
  • Remember Boatmurdered!
    • View Profile
    • My Web Fiction
« Reply #35 on: July 22, 2011, 12:53:29 pm »

Pardon me, because it sounds like you know stuff about computers...

But the problems you're describing sound like memory problems.  Intermittent but severe slowdowns, with 30% processor usage, sure sounds like swapfile usage to me.

Now, I got an old computer, and I'm happy with 20 fps, but when I look, I see DF using maybe 500 megabytes.   Which is about what I've got.  Of course, I've got other stuff running, and so I get swap hiccups like that too.
Likewise. Minimum RAM requirements hiked considerably with the release of .31, and the game was extremely baulky on my old P4 until I upgraded form 512MB. 1GB seems to be the bare minimum.
Never used Dwarf Therapist, mods or tilesets in all the years I've been playing.
I think Toady's confusing interface better simulates the experience of a bunch of disorganised drunken dwarves running a fort.

Black Powder Firearms - Superior firepower, realistic manufacturing and rocket launchers!
Pages: 1 2 [3]