Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 23

Author Topic: steamgifts.com - anyone tried it?  (Read 45740 times)

Kusgnos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: steamgifts.com - anyone tried it?
« Reply #210 on: July 20, 2011, 08:49:03 pm »

Yeah, I managed to win a Humble bundle. Felt good!

It makes me a little sad how fewer and fewer people bother thanking, but I guess it's just to be expected.

Rebecca Black

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: July 20, 2011, 09:24:17 pm »

It makes me a little sad how fewer and fewer people bother thanking, but I guess it's just to be expected.
The Frozenbyte one? I'm kind of sad about that one.  :-\

Kusgnos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: July 20, 2011, 11:26:33 pm »

Nah, I won the first Humble Bundle. I really want the Frozenbyte one, though.

Rebecca Black

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: July 20, 2011, 11:37:54 pm »

Nah, I won the first Humble Bundle. I really want the Frozenbyte one, though.
D: I'd trade bundles if we could.

RF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: July 21, 2011, 01:22:58 am »

I think they've flooded the site with invites, to be honest. That's why they've stopped allowing new accounts to be made, since they know this.

A lot of the people entering are just pure leechers, usually with multiple accounts.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: July 22, 2011, 09:56:21 am »

On the topic of leechers I was rather digusted by a pretty big dick move I came across on the current Witcher 2 giveaway.

The guy who started the giveaway (who had given away two games before) stated that it was key rather than a steam game.
Now most people are afraid of getting keys since people used to steal your account with them (today valve won't go by one key and you've also got things like steamguard). So people were a bit hestiate of it, which they rightly should.

Yet along comes a user call daveysmith who decided he could play on this fear. Openly stated that the uploader was well known for stealing accounts. YET HE STILL ENTERED THE GIVE AWAY. He of course did this to stop other people from wanting to enter. Thus increasing his chances of winning (in his mind).

Now this could almost be forgiven if he was a good community member. Heres the kicker though, he was just a leecher with no giveaways, no thank you comments and no forum posts.
Now this guy had the hide to slander the person which might just have gifted him a $60 game for free.

I mean really. How do people get so self-absorbed?
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 10:00:59 am by Catastrophic lolcats »
« Reply #216 on: July 22, 2011, 10:54:55 am »

I'm not sure I follow, is this the same as gifting a game on steam or is this a raffle? I don't have a steam account myself (though I've used the program before). :-\

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: July 22, 2011, 11:03:49 am »

Can be both.

You make a giveaway for a steam game, you then gift the winner of that giveway (decided by RNG)

You can also make a giveaway for game keys that can be activated on steam, though it seems the site is trying to move away from this.

Jar of Jam

• Bay Watcher
  • [ITEM_FOOD:ITEM_FOOD_JAM]
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: July 22, 2011, 11:45:16 am »

I'm not sure I follow, is this the same as gifting a game on steam or is this a raffle? I don't have a steam account myself (though I've used the program before). :-\

The hook is, though, that you won't be able to create an account on the site if your Steam account doesn't have at least 30$ worth of games activated on it.

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: July 22, 2011, 11:52:04 am »

It's not all that much really. The Orange Box which was most the majority of peoples' introduction to steam is valued at $20.

Add any other Valve game or even 1 or 2 indie games and you're easily over it.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: July 22, 2011, 12:23:28 pm »

They stopped giving out invites?  Thank goodness, things were getting out of hand.  The site's starting to go downhill quite a bit.  I was under the impression invite systems were invented to keep the community high quality by limiting who gets in, not so people can dump dozens of codes on the internet where people like daveysmith can get in and pull shit like that Witcher 2 thing.
Shoes...

Knave

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: July 22, 2011, 12:28:14 pm »

Yeah he's a real a$$hole...

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: July 22, 2011, 12:28:19 pm »

Well news about that Witcher 2 thing.
The thread was deleted with what I would assuming was pressure from Cult.

I'm pretty dishearted by this. The mods had their chance to really buckle down and ban some of the arseholes on the site. Looks they they chose to do nothing.

Personally I don't see this working without some iron-grip mods but I'll try and supress the cynic in me and see if it doesn't fall flat.

EDIT: Although from this point on I doubt I'm gonna be very active in the community. Might as well leech some games. When in Rome...
« Last Edit: July 22, 2011, 12:34:15 pm by Catastrophic lolcats »

Denzi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: July 22, 2011, 02:38:13 pm »

I'm with you Catastrophic. I was planning on when the fall steam sales start on buying some games and giving them out on there. But if people like daveysmith are allowed to run amuck in it, then I'm just going to chat it up and get free games. I really wasn't up for the whole 'ban them if they invite someone who is an ass' clause, but with daveysmith I'm really reconsidering. Sure, I won't invite many people if at all if that clause came into effect, but at least we'd have a shot at an awesome community.

RF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: July 22, 2011, 05:01:30 pm »

Eh, I've stopped doing giveaways. The moderators really are not harsh enough.
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15] 16 17 ... 23