Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13

Author Topic: If you don't do this, you are unamerican.  (Read 23829 times)

Mokkun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: If you don't do this, you are unamerican.
« Reply #165 on: December 08, 2011, 03:57:01 am »

Feel so alone here as a Norwegian..
Quite a few Different nationalities here.

Pawel1997PL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: December 08, 2011, 05:26:24 am »

Another polish here.

Captain Poland charges randommedievalinvader on his horse
Captain Poland's horse bites randommedievalinvader's nose, it latches on
Captain Poland slashes randommedievalinvader head, it sails of in a arc
A fliying nazi bullet hits Captain Poland in the head, tearing apart the brain

.........Captain Poland's companions atack the nazi...........

The nazi retreats and stops maraudering

Captain Poland has come back to life!
Captain Poland drinks a botle of vodka

Skadan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: December 08, 2011, 07:42:08 am »

Feel so alone here as a Norwegian..
Quite a few Different nationalities here.

Maby you are the only Norwegian. But it seems that we are alot of scandinavians here. Im from sweden myself.
And i think that Usa is Canadas pants and Canada has forgotten to close the zipper so florida is hanging out.

Mokkun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: December 08, 2011, 08:00:31 am »

Maby you are the only Norwegian. But it seems that we are alot of scandinavians here. Im from sweden myself.
And i think that Usa is Canadas pants and Canada has forgotten to close the zipper so florida is hanging out.
Now that is a good one.

Bazzak

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: December 08, 2011, 08:39:15 am »

Finnish, and to be honest I don't give a carp about anyone's country of origin.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: December 08, 2011, 10:04:38 am »

I was wondering if knowing English is common in where all of you live.

In Finland learning (at least dabbling skill level of) English is required to complete school.

Neither do I. Less so online.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Masta Crouton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: December 08, 2011, 10:26:50 am »

SO I STOOD UP AND TOLD THAT TEACHIN' LADY

THE ONLY WORDS I NEED ARE U, S, AND A.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: December 08, 2011, 10:42:16 am »

Necro is back! Huzzah!

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Ottofar

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, spinning?
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: December 08, 2011, 10:45:20 am »

I'm just posting here announcing my Finnishness.
So uh. Yeah.

Oh, and I did the Seven Brothers-embark. 'twas fun.

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: December 08, 2011, 10:58:28 am »

Necro is back! Huzzah!
WOO! But I have to cut out the magma shouts.

MA 'GM MA

"Cut it out that... shouting... is beginning to scare everyone"

>Okey Dokey Lokey
There's more where that came from!

Delta Foxtrot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: December 08, 2011, 12:28:30 pm »

Neither do I. Less so online.

As long as there is mutual understanding brought by common language, I find it pretty hard to separate people based on just their nationality. Not that it's wrong to flaunt a little national colour every now and then but I've seen a few cases (not here, mind you) where it got pushed a bit too far for my taste. Same thing with people who make a big deal out of someone being a girl. Christ, just get over it.

To at least try and take a few steps along the original topic, if dwarves  were able to dual wield shields, I would do it. Hoplons Akimbo has been a concept in my circles for a few years now. Saw bladed edges or not, two heavy bashing shields dual wielded by a fighter bashing in skull after skull has a certain appeal to it.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: December 08, 2011, 12:34:12 pm »

In Finland learning (at least dabbling skill level of) English is required to complete school.
It's amazing the number of online communities I have participated in, for which there is a heavy 'Scandiwegian' presence.

Outside of the so-called-English-speaking-world, I'd suggest that there's something (long, dark, winter evenings?  ...and reluctance to just lazily stay in the saunas/lounge on designer furniture/work on the practical elements of Avian IP/defend against Russian attacks/whatever in summer?) that makes you lot more susceptible to the charms of the web than some other places in the world.  Or at least in a sociable way, rather than what people under .cn, .ru and various other infamous iTLDs tend to do with the Internet...  (And, no, I haven't forgotten anon.penet.fi...)

And, when it comes to stereotypes, non-native English speakers like yourselves are of course the only people me, a semi-typical monoglot[1] is likely to communicate with are those that added to their linguistic repetoir with my own particular mother-tongue.  Albeit that this is practically everyone so described.  But, still, I find non-British, non-(USof)American, non-Canadian, non-Australian, non-New Zealandesque/etc English speakers are far better at the lingo than some of the natives of those lands I had just now mentioned as excluded.  That's one up for you lot, as a whole, I'd say...

[1] Well, I know some German, and French, amongst some minute and essentially vestigial amount of some other languages[3], but I'm hardly conversationally proficient in either.  OK, so I can ask the way to the Zoological Gardens from anywhere else in Berlin[2], or ask where the nearest Imbiss was, or just order food at the Arbeitsamt canteen.  Because I worked there for a while, and necessity was a good teacher.  But it has faded.  The other language I learnt at school, and it didn't hold at the time or get used very much at all in the many years since.  You know what I find is a pain with French?  Bread.  But, anyway...

[2] Actually, back when I needed to do that, I was quite au fait with the U-Bahn and S-Bahn and a lot of the local road system, fiel danke, so I was probably more likely to be doing the describing for others.

[3] About the only Danish I still remember (and not to spell, and probably neither to pronounce anything like correctly) is Kartoffelmoss.  Learnt when I was...  10?  8?  Whenever I went over to the original (and, at that time, only) Legoland.   Oh, and Pif Paf Puf==Snap Crackle & Pop.  Is "Anders And" the Danish as well as...?Swedish? name for Donald?  So, as you see, some small bits of it; barely more than the size of a five ore coin (if you'll excuse the lack of suitable accented characters), in real terms.  And that's minute!

Frying Doby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: December 08, 2011, 02:05:44 pm »

Die allermeisten Deutschen sind viel zu langweilig für Dwarf Fortress! :P
That does not make much sense. But I do think that the embark size is too small to support german expansion necessities!

We still building our zupercomputer that can zupport 100x100 embark size. Beware for we are also sturdy, industrious and fond of drinkz.
Ze World will be ours.

UristMcHuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: December 08, 2011, 05:11:07 pm »

Im from sweden myself.
Really, now? You may be interested in the fact that my Boy Scout Troop 509 was over there for the World Scout Jamboree.

Yes, I repeat, I am an official (U.S. of) American.
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13