Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13

Author Topic: If you don't do this, you are unamerican.  (Read 23823 times)

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
Re: If you don't do this, you are unamerican.
« Reply #150 on: December 06, 2011, 05:04:54 am »

Well, during the winter war there were not enough standard army suits for everyone, so some people fought in their own clothes. I'm not sure about Häyhä, though.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Muttonhawk

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord-High everything else
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: December 06, 2011, 06:03:14 am »

Oh, and if I wanted an Australian Dwarf Fortress... I'd make a squad of 10 miners and call it the Stockades of Eureka.

I think this is the only instance where having them defeated in less than a quarter of an hour counts as a success!

*Bonus points of they're killed by a goblin civ called 'the coats of red'.
How sad, imagine what they would've come up with... Booze proppelled rocket bayonets
Quote from: Dylan Moran
You know what you are? You're a beard with an idiot hanging off it.

Madventurer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: December 06, 2011, 08:07:33 am »

Another finn here! And today's our Independence day! Yay!
Then he made grudge wit about 20 other dwarfs (still don't know why - perhaps they were stealing his chair).

Eich

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: December 06, 2011, 08:23:04 am »

Die allermeisten Deutschen sind viel zu langweilig für Dwarf Fortress! :P

That does not make much sense. But I do think that the embark size is too small to support german expansion necessities!

On a totaly unrelated note: "Iss dein Schnitzel, oder du kriegst kein' Nachtisch!"
At this time, a friend shall lose his friend's hammer and the young shall not know where lieth the things possessed by their fathers that their fathers put there only just the night before, about eight o'clock.

slink

• Bay Watcher
  • Crazy Cat Dwarf
    • View Profile
    • Slink's Burrow Online
« Reply #154 on: December 06, 2011, 10:22:14 am »

I'm an American, but ... that's a comic book hero duo.  Excuse me, "Graphic Novel".  Doesn't that make you want to laugh and puke at the same time, to hear people calling comic books "graphic novels"?  I mean, they are short stories, at best.  Very short.

Back on topic, I don't feel the slightest bit unAmerican for not portraying comic book heroes in my fortresses.   :P

There is only one cat, and all cats are that cat.
Almost losing is sometimes fun.

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: December 06, 2011, 10:50:05 am »

Y'know, I'm pretty sure a Scottish fort would be easiest to pull off. All you really have to do is mod in plaid and bagpipes. The rest is already there by default.
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
« Reply #156 on: December 06, 2011, 11:46:41 am »

Me neither.  Personally, I don't really want to be American. I'd rather live in some European country where they don't spend 60% of their budget on war.

On a side note, if Canada is America's hat, does that mean Mexico is America's pants?
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games

Shades

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: December 06, 2011, 11:51:47 am »

Me neither.  Personally, I don't really want to be American. I'd rather live in some European country where they don't spend 60% of their budget on war.

On a side note, if Canada is America's hat, does that mean Mexico is America's pants?

You have the whole of South America for that. Mexico would be the belt I guess or the lower half of the shirt...
Its like playing god with sentient legos. - They Got Leader
[Dwarf Fortress] plays like a dizzyingly complex hybrid of Dungeon Keeper and The Sims, if all your little people were manic-depressive alcoholics. - tv tropes
You don't use science to show that you're right, you use science to become right. - xkcd

Necro910

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary Drunk +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: December 06, 2011, 11:55:46 am »

You have the whole of South America for that. Mexico would be the belt I guess or the lower half of the shirt...
I think the general idea is that Mexico is the boots, and South America is not a US clothing article. However I may be wrong on that.

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: December 06, 2011, 12:37:37 pm »

I believe Mexico looks rather beard-like.
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

EveryZig

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Liar
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: December 06, 2011, 05:01:16 pm »

I'm an American, but ... that's a comic book hero duo.  Excuse me, "Graphic Novel".  Doesn't that make you want to laugh and puke at the same time, to hear people calling comic books "graphic novels"?  I mean, they are short stories, at best.  Very short.

Back on topic, I don't feel the slightest bit unAmerican for not portraying comic book heroes in my fortresses.   :P
Some of them can legitimately claim the title, such as Watchmen. That one wasn't any more episodic than the chapters of a book.
For the other ones, the term is a backlash against the equally silly notion many people have that comic/cartoon = for kids or funny.

Personally I find 'unAmerican' to be a kind of silly concept.
Soaplent green is goblins!

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: December 06, 2011, 08:19:18 pm »

I believe Mexico looks rather beard-like.
so mexicans=dwarves?

In before, 'Most are immigrants'.
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

Kylarus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: December 07, 2011, 08:03:32 pm »

Same here, no Cap'n America and not the least bit of unAmerican feeling here.
Afterall, I've:
+Deforested 90% of my map.
+Successfully led a rebellion such that my fortress is its own civilization and might become allies with its parent civ at some point.
+Has a minimal working class that produces basic foods and highly expensive equipment, but imports/borrows everything else.
+Built a military force that lean and elite, by which I mean it not only is highly skilled and equipped, but outnumbers an invasion 2-1 at minimum.
+Is the only force in the world as is to have not only "discovered" but used super weapons (MAGMAAAA!!).
+Consists entirely of immigrants, having put all the existing swallow-men in camps in the caverns.
You mean the ability to have endless training dummies, a carpet of eyestalks and tendrills, and a plant that both makes for some good grizzled sea man hard liquor AND the ability to turn your dwarves into the Night´s Watch...not reward enough?

Whitefoxsniper

• Bay Watcher
  • something meaningful.
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: December 07, 2011, 10:08:53 pm »

I'm from the United States. I was never was a fan of Captain America though, or any comic book hero. It's probably the tight costumes that turn me off.

I was wondering if knowing English is common in where all of you live.

Doughnut189

• Bay Watcher
  • Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: December 08, 2011, 12:24:01 am »

We should make a thread where we guess the above poster's nationality.
Imagine you're driving a car. Push the gas pedal to the floor. Close your eyes. Remain this way for ten minutes while turning the wheel at whim. This is Dwarf Fortress.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13