Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13

Author Topic: If you don't do this, you are unamerican.  (Read 23837 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: If you don't do this, you are unamerican.
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2011, 03:42:25 pm »

Yeah, do try and avoid any strict-nationality jokes/ideas on here.  Or on any internet.  The World Wide Web isn't just in America.  Some basic respect for nationalities, timezones, and languages is essential on B12.

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2011, 03:45:05 pm »

canadians are just americans with health care instead of guns.

Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: July 04, 2011, 03:46:28 pm »

You got the poor end of that deal!
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

Eeote

• Bay Watcher
  • I am encircled with bands of newbiness.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: July 04, 2011, 04:05:52 pm »

A Dane here. Not many of those around i reckon
Life gives you lemons, you make orange juice, and sit back and watch everyone try and figure out how you did it.

Number4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: July 04, 2011, 04:12:37 pm »

Polish, which may or may not be better then American.

However, like around 90% of the intelligent Polish population our family emigrated, I'm living in Germany. Better then America for sure.
Thanks for the suggestion, but Number4 is correct: [...] it would be easier and more predictable to just be a racist.

Did somebody just rule 34 two veins of metal?

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: July 04, 2011, 04:37:16 pm »

Jerry here, and I resent the opening post. After all, we've been more vigorous at combating un-American behaviour than America itself in a fashion...

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: July 04, 2011, 04:42:05 pm »

Brazilian here, although, you could say I'm american, since I live in the american continent. I sugest the thread name be changed to undwarfy and the first post be changed accordingly.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 04, 2011, 04:53:24 pm »

really? I'd prefer it if I didn't have to pay to go to hospital than be shot by a madman around every corner.

then again, I'd be the madman around the corner...

I must admit I've never really understood this train of thought. What is it about owning a firearm that's supposed to transform an ordinary citizen into either an unbalanced sociopath or cowboy vigilante?

Many people drive cars, but very few drive on the sidewalk to run down pedestrians. I'd wager many households have cooking cutlery, but we don't have a rash of stabbings. Everyone in Switzerland is armed, but they don't have daily gunfights, that I know of. What's the connection here?
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Shootandrun

• Bay Watcher
  • Silence is the answer.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 04, 2011, 05:04:14 pm »

I must admit I've never really understood this train of thought. What is it about owning a firearm that's supposed to transform an ordinary citizen into either an unbalanced sociopath or cowboy vigilante?

Many people drive cars, but very few drive on the sidewalk to run down pedestrians. I'd wager many households have cooking cutlery, but we don't have a rash of stabbings. Everyone in Switzerland is armed, but they don't have daily gunfights, that I know of. What's the connection here?

Canada is by far less violent than the U.S. and even if it was an exageration to say that there are madmen around every corners, you get the idea. In the U.S, there's more guns than people; in Canada, it's harder to get a Glock than 10kg of cannabis. Of course, it's more jokes than anything else. Americans mock canadians, but they don't realize how much canadians mock them, too. That's especially true in french regions like Québec.

Also, I'm surprised how many canadians are present on the forums. I am personally canadian and québecois, and I believed for long I was practically alone.

Rowanas

• Bay Watcher
  • I must be going senile.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 04, 2011, 05:18:08 pm »

As a scotsman, I find all of this completely irrelevant.

We Scots have a long history of violence and sociopathy, and not once have we had to tun to guns to make us better at either. :P
I agree with Urist. Steampunk is like Darth Vader winning Holland's Next Top Model. It would be awesome but not something I'd like in this game.
Unfortunately dying involves the amputation of the entire body from the dwarf.

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: July 04, 2011, 05:22:40 pm »

really? I'd prefer it if I didn't have to pay to go to hospital than be shot by a madman around every corner.

then again, I'd be the madman around the corner...

The gunfights are a secret. You're probably just not invited.

Can't let just anybody know about it, or the news will be all up in that shit. You saw what happened to mexico a few months ago.
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

Darkmere

• Bay Watcher
  • Exploding me won't bring back your honey.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 04, 2011, 05:36:32 pm »

Canada is by far less violent than the U.S. and even if it was an exageration to say that there are madmen around every corners, you get the idea. In the U.S, there's more guns than people; in Canada, it's harder to get a Glock than 10kg of cannabis. Of course, it's more jokes than anything else. Americans mock canadians, but they don't realize how much canadians mock them, too. That's especially true in french regions like Québec.

Also, I'm surprised how many canadians are present on the forums. I am personally canadian and québecois, and I believed for long I was practically alone.

Yeah that's just it, the implication that "more violence" is somehow the direct result of "more guns". I'm not arguing either case, I just don't know how that direct correlation seems to automatically get made. Ah well, life's a mystery.

Also, everyone mocks everyone, as long as people don't take it too seriously, there's no harm, in my opinion.
And then, they will be weaponized. Like everything in this game, from kittens to babies, everything is a potential device of murder.
So if baseless speculation is all we have, we might as well treat it like fact.

Justin In Oz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 04, 2011, 05:56:43 pm »

I am an Australian. We only shoot the people the Americans tell us to. It gives them a figleaf of legitimacy.
Korea
Vietnam
Iraq I and Iraq II
Afghanistan
And whatever comes next . . .

Melagius

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord and Master here
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 04, 2011, 06:26:17 pm »

You guys get offended too easily sometimes. God forbid somebody acts like that on independence day, they're so ignant.

Veetor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 04, 2011, 06:58:52 pm »

Brazilian here, although, you could say I'm american, since I live in the american continent. I sugest the thread name be changed to undwarfy and the first post be changed accordingly.

I'm from Brazil too! Você é o segundo brasileiro que eu conheci aqui! Vou te mandar uma mensagem! (You are the second brazilian I have met here! I will send you a message!)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13