Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Happy Fourth of July Everyone!  (Read 3071 times)

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
Re: Happy Fourth of July Everyone!
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2011, 01:58:27 pm »

Happy best excuse to fire off obscene amounts of pyrotechnics day, you mean!

<3

EmperorNuthulu

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes nu's for their blueness, oh and that mohawk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2011, 02:05:34 pm »

Truly the darkest day in mankind has come, since today the British Empire began its descent. It all started on this day, this sad sad day.  :(

The British Empire had not reached its peak yet, at that time.
The descent probably began a little before the Great War.

It was among one of our first losses, and probably the biggest if you think about it (Although that might be taken by India due to some other technicalities).
Blargh.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2011, 02:06:53 pm »

I bet 4th of July retroactively made me lose my hearing so screw July 4th!

EDIT:
Oh I just had thoughts and I can pull a Grinch and steal everybody's fireworks!  Nobody will be able to enjoy loud explosions or sharp whistles and it will be perfect grawhahaha
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 02:11:17 pm by ToonyMan »

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 04, 2011, 02:16:50 pm »

Truly the darkest day in mankind has come, since today the British Empire began its descent. It all started on this day, this sad sad day.  :(

It was among one of our first losses, and probably the biggest if you think about it (Although that might be taken by India due to some other technicalities).

Only if you look at it with the benefit of hindsight. At the time, it was relatively minor, especially because Britain kept Canada.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Azkul

• Bay Watcher
  • Also,
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2011, 02:19:50 pm »

The loss of India signalled the point of no return for the British Empire, the loss of the most important colony of the Empire.
At the time of the American Revolutionary War, other colonies were more important.
If the american colonies remained part of the Empire, they may not have developed into the powerful nation that the modern USA is, investment in America would only seem important with the knowledge of the potential of the north american continent, not necessarily with the knowledge that the british had at the time of the war of independence.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 02:22:31 pm by Azkul »
Whereas !!ALCHEMY!! has, since the times of Kings Arthur and Charlemagne, been about transforming oneself into a horse using feces.
It turns out sleep is unnecessary because you can just get married and get infinite kisses

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2011, 02:46:24 pm »

EDIT:
Oh I just had thoughts and I can pull a Grinch and steal everybody's fireworks!  Nobody will be able to enjoy loud explosions or sharp whistles and it will be perfect grawhahaha
so giving a reason for people to aim at you?

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2011, 03:36:40 pm »

Aw man.  Canada needs a new holiday.  Lets call it "Fireworks day" or "American appreciation day".
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Zrk2

• Bay Watcher
  • Emperor of the Damned
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 04, 2011, 03:37:39 pm »

Yeah, had Britain won, America would just be a warmer section of Canada.
He's just keeping up with the Cardassians.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 04, 2011, 03:59:06 pm »

People were still setting off large-scale fireworks for Canada Day on the 2nd. During a thunderstorm.

I watched both through my bedroom window. There'd be a bunch of fancy fireworks, and then the storm would go "oh yeah?" and do some sky-spanning lightning bolts overhead. Back and forth for half an hour or so.

So cool.

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 04, 2011, 04:00:03 pm »

I don't care much for the 4th of July. Im not a big fan of the US government anyways.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

ToonyMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Danger Magnet
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 04, 2011, 06:30:26 pm »

EDIT:
so giving a reason for people to aim at you?
With guns?  That doesn't sound safe they might set off a firework!

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 04, 2011, 06:44:47 pm »

Aw man.  Canada needs a new holiday.  Lets call it "Fireworks day" or "American appreciation day".
If you guys celebrate "American appreciation day" I'll celebrate "Canadian appreciation day."

We gotta remain bros, bros.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 04, 2011, 07:56:24 pm »

We (family) fired off our firework stash yesterday since my dad had to go back to work today, but I might still watch the fireworks showing tonight.

Anyway, happy American blowing stuff up day!

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 04, 2011, 08:27:26 pm »

If you guys celebrate "American appreciation day" I'll celebrate "Canadian appreciation day."

I agree with all of this, but it should be a mutual holiday called "Border Explosion Day". Who can launch a firework farthest across the borderline without accidentally starting a war?

....on second thought, that might not be such a good idea.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

warhammer651

• Bay Watcher
  • [prefstring: Attack_Attack_Attack]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 04, 2011, 08:35:17 pm »

I agree with all of this, but it should be a mutual holiday called "Border Explosion Day". Who can launch a firework farthest across the borderline without accidentally starting a war?

....on second thought, that might not be such a good idea.
Yeah, you just KNOW some Artillery crews would get drunk and decide to show Canadians how fireworks "should" go and it would spiral out of control from there.

We had a defective bottlerocket at our (neighborhood) celebration. I was wearing brown pants thankfully.
Tell me your mother isn't a Great Old One, please.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5