Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New player + First forgotten beast  (Read 860 times)

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
New player + First forgotten beast
« on: July 04, 2011, 03:16:00 am »

Okay so I had my first real fight on my hand. I had a drafted army of 25 dwarves. My Militia captain is a dwarf with a crutch and a crossbow.

For some reason even though the military screen said all my squads were active and training, less than half of them showed up with weapons which had me kind of worried?

Right now the fight is still "going on" in paused time ofc. No dead dwarfs yet.

But how much can I do other than give all my dwarves a command to show up at one point and gang bang the FB?

Am I supposed to heed the attention to all this information?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Quote from: Syndic
Sentry towers, manned by orang-utangs./quote]

Ieb

• Bay Watcher
  • A Breakdancing Ogre
    • View Profile
Re: New player + First forgotten beast
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 03:37:08 am »

From the amount of beating so far dealt to the FB, I'm pretty sure it's getting close to dying of bloodloss than someone getting a hit in. Did you give the order to Kill or Move to the area? Kill orders never work properly for me. Dorfs go after the target one at a time or just trickle to some area. Move is much more effective, they'll rush the spot and get aggro on hostiles or wildlife.

Just bumrush the fucker.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 03:42:44 am »

I've never found that screen very informative. The wounds screen on the v-cursor is more than enough for non-dwarves, and for dwarves the health screen is usually more important to pay attention to (if they need a diagnosis, it's reasonably serious, otherwise, not).

With 25 dwarves, you shouldn't have too much of a problem with the thing hurting you, especially since you say most of your people are unarmed. Unarmed dwarves will tend to grab on, and the enemy will spend its turns breaking grips more than attacking. Trouble is, it looks like your dwarves are too weak to actually significantly hurt the thing, which is why it's getting that laundry list of wounds instead of just dying. If you don't have edged weapons, that's even worse; blunt attacks are can-openers and aren't as effective against unarmed targets as slashing or piercing attacks are.

I'd suggest disabling mining on your miners, waiting until they drop their picks, then drafting your miners as a pick-dwarf squad. They'll likely be strong enough to hurt the thing, and picks are actually quite good weapons. If you don't disable mining on them, they'll get confused and refuse to use their picks as military weapons.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 05:20:42 pm »

heh, I hope there is syndrome blood involved...
There's not. That's something you can easily tell with a quick glance to the description.
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

simonthedwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • ¤Death¤
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 05:30:05 pm »

None. They punched it to death with oak bucklers, a crutch and their hands. There was like 25 of them, and about 1/3 was armed. A silver hammer, at least one copper spear.

Stupid dwarfs keep putting their weapons away all the time. ALSO, they seem to hate actually putting on armor, prefering to wear their awkvard starting equipment.

I really wish armor wasn't such a pain to produce and equip!
Quote from: Syndic
Sentry towers, manned by orang-utangs./quote]

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 05:51:27 pm »

A silver war hammer can bash skulls in quite effectively.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o