Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Clown Fortresses and Cavern Layers  (Read 3267 times)

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Clown Fortresses and Cavern Layers
« on: July 04, 2011, 01:46:45 am »

Are demonic fortresses affected by the cavern layers? I have never seen a clown fortress, no matter where I embark. I tried a maximum area embark earlier, and still there was no cotton candy weapon in the stocks screen. I read it's found on the third cavern layer, and I remember that I've always set my cavern layers to 1 to save FPS. Could that be the reason?

Eoganachta

• Bay Watcher
  • The Second Mouse Gets The Cheese
    • View Profile
Re: Clown Fortresses and Cavern Layers
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 01:53:32 am »

I've only ever seen two of them and I found each via z-stocks-weapons etc and I have always found them on the thrid layer. It might just be that you havent embarked on a place with one. They're quite rare and are something you can't really plan for.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
Giant Cave Spider Wagons. Where are your Gods now Goblins?
This minecart has more kills then every other weapon in the mountainhomes.
Quote from: Broken
every place i go ends covered in vomit
Quote from: Karnewarrior
WHERE DO YOU EVEN GET ENOUGH BABY FOR A PICKAXE? THERE ISN'T ENOUGH BABY.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 02:12:50 am »

Amazingly, we're like 2 for 5 on multiplayer.  Upright Swords seem to have some affinity for us...  They occur on the bottom cavern layer, and require a hell zone to spawn.  There's 1 per 16x16 embark area, and it's all luck.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 02:40:01 am »

You're not alone, I've never seen a demonic fortress. I've even went looking for one in adventure mode but no luck.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 02:48:50 am »

You're never going to find one in adventure mode.  Your best method for finding one is to do an 8x8 embark 4 times.  Each time, check the R rooms screen for an upright weapon.  Then ctrl-alt-del to hard shut down, and re-embark closer to the destination.  Since there's one on every 16x16, you will find it eventually.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 02:53:25 am »

That sucks, the only practical use I can imagine for a lone adamantine weapon is for an adventurer who can't obtain one any other way then a dwarf fortress you had made adamantine toys.

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2011, 03:11:16 am »

You're never going to find one in adventure mode.  Your best method for finding one is to do an 8x8 embark 4 times.  Each time, check the R rooms screen for an upright weapon.  Then ctrl-alt-del to hard shut down, and re-embark closer to the destination.  Since there's one on every 16x16, you will find it eventually.

Ugh. Forget it. How were your experiences with the demonic fortresses?

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2011, 03:44:35 am »

I've not found many, but I haven't really been looking and use small (3x3) embarks.

Oddly, one of the ones I did find was actually in the depths. As in, the clown fortress was completely beneath the semi-molten rock, and as such was completely useless as a means of penetrating the semi-molten rock. Probably bugged, that was.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

kellen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2011, 05:28:57 am »

I was always confused as to why on some embarks, when I tried to link levers up to my standard defense systems, I would get an option to link the lever to an Adamantite sword half a hundred z-levels bellow my actual lever.

Now I know.

A-Dos

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Water!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2011, 09:21:06 am »

That sucks, the only practical use I can imagine for a lone adamantine weapon is for an adventurer who can't obtain one any other way then a dwarf fortress you had made adamantine toys.

Bear in mind the Adamantine weapon is also Mastercrafted, always...
Longest surviving Fortress: Silverpaddle > 9 years > Tantrum Spiral due to an Engraver mistaking Magma for Water and attempted to take a bath. Apparently he had a social life.

Melagius

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord and Master here
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2011, 12:43:04 pm »

Personal experience prove you wrong. :)

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2011, 12:48:05 pm »

If you really want it in adventure mode, you're going to have to uncover it with a fort first.

I think cavern layers may have some effect on this. Not sure, I've never messed with layers or the sword. Use the method for finding it; it's not like it's that hard. If it's not anywhere, you'll have to change the settings.

Ubiq

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2011, 03:48:10 pm »

I've only ever ran across one and it had its entrance on the third cavern level. I found it on the second though as the fortress was in a large cavern that extended from the third layer up the second. The topmost floor of the fortress was even with the main level of the second cavern, which was a dry level since all the water in the cavern system was in a lake down by the entrance of the fortress.

So hungry heads were roaming around next to the entrance while there was a camp of cave swallowmen chilling out near its summit.

ImBocaire

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALL_WORK] [NO_PLAY] [IS_DULL_BOY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2011, 04:29:44 pm »

I never found one when I set my cavern layers to 2. I'm pretty sure you need 3 cavern layers for one to spawn in your world. Other than that, it's pure luck and/or tedious scumming.
[STATE_ADJ:GAS:boiling fish woman]

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2011, 05:01:13 pm »

I never found one when I set my cavern layers to 2. I'm pretty sure you need 3 cavern layers for one to spawn in your world. Other than that, it's pure luck and/or tedious scumming.
It's not really tedious. 5 embarks max. All considered, that amount of time should be small in Dwarf Fortress.
Pages: [1] 2