Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Your first Fun  (Read 6174 times)

Lord Bloody

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Your first Fun
« on: July 03, 2011, 08:22:56 pm »

Hi there, first time playing and everything went well, with the newbie guide in the wiki, but I failed to consider sieges, and I had plenty of fun with my dwarfs dying while trying to get the items from their fallen dwarfs in the fields.

So lest see how was your first fun?

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
  • Fighting for Elite Liberal values since 2009!
    • View Profile
Re: Your first Fun
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2011, 12:20:18 am »

I'm something of a perfectionist, so I've usually managed to find something wrong in my fortress before any real fun, resulting in most of my forts being abandoned after a season or two.

Nowadays, I don't play for perfection. I play for fun. That's what I got yesterday.

A goblin siege arrived. Didn't count 'em, I think there was almost 30 of them. Spearmen, led by a lasher. The save had been sitting around for a few months without being played, so I didn't remember I had defined a safe area for my dorfs who were busy hauling firewood from the outside. A few of them (luckily, all of them Urist McExpendables) got savaged in the process.

However, the Fun didn't end there, the goblins got to have some too! I fumbled with the military system and tried to summon The Gloved Roars, my elite unit, to destroy the goblin menace. That failed, but my traps turned out to be super-effective. I think the goblins lost some 15 soldiers before retreating - 8 of those were, much to their horror, caught alive. They got to have some serious Fun later on...
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!
LCS in SourceForge - LCS Wiki - Forum thread for 4.04

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2011, 01:30:39 am »

Hi there, first time playing and everything went well, with the newbie guide in the wiki, but I failed to consider sieges, and I had plenty of fun with my dwarfs dying while trying to get the items from their fallen dwarfs in the fields.

So lest see how was your first fun?
I actually learned the bare basics of the game... wait for it...

WITHOUT THE WIKI

And as a result, my first fun was hilariously stupid. I got flooded by an aquifer, not because I didn't know how water pressure worked in DF, but because I was thinking "Ooooooh, pretty! I wonder what all those blue tildes mean? I'll mine into this hill to find out!" Turns out it's water, and Dwarves can't breathe in it.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2011, 03:09:50 am »

Hmm, my first fort was not Fun but the second was because of FB with poisonous blood, and lots of dwarfs and creatures to move it around. Hospital was filled with dorfs with rotten feet...
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2011, 07:56:17 am »

My first fort, I hadn't gotten the hang of irrigation or butchery. All my dorfs died of hunger.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Lancezh

• Bay Watcher
  • Noob Inc
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2011, 09:10:49 am »

In that order "Fun":

- Fun of Thirst
- Fun of Hunger
- Fun not having ANY defence. 5 Goblins slaughtered the entire fortress
- Fun for having the Farmer walk above the frozen River (when it suddenly became fluid again) right when i started. No food - fun.
- Fun for not having enough Traps to fend off a siege.
- Fun for placing a Lever for the Floodgate in the same room, and then got flooded.
- Fun with a big dragon and presenting him a wooden bridge.

Draxis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2011, 10:01:12 am »

My first Fun was in my third fort, I was building  a Goblin Grinder hallway as an emergency backdoor, but the hatches were not yet hooked up, and when there was an ambush I forgot to lock the door.  This was also before I understood the military system.

PotatoLord

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2011, 12:32:22 pm »

My first Fun can be summed up as follows: "How do I make farm? This guide says I should put it on a soil layer. Where are those? Why is a grizzly bear mauling my brewer?" My second Fun, after many guides were read, and many fortresses preemptively abandoned, was lost to giant ambush from outta nowhere, and I had about 5 military dwarves. And all of them were wrestlers.
Dude, you've created a Yeti with nothing to lose.

You've created Yeti Batman.

ImBocaire

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALL_WORK] [NO_PLAY] [IS_DULL_BOY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2011, 02:16:15 pm »

My first fortress death that was caused by external Fun rather than me getting bored/bewildered/etc was when I neglected to set up any sort of outside defense, and a goblin ambush made it all the way into my legendary dining room before being discovered.
[STATE_ADJ:GAS:boiling fish woman]

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2011, 03:13:22 pm »

My first fortress death that was caused by external Fun rather than me getting bored/bewildered/etc was when I neglected to set up any sort of outside defense, and a goblin ambush made it all the way into my legendary dining room before being discovered.

I can imagine it:

'Urist McHungry cancels eat: interrupted by goblin lasher.'
"Hmm, why was he trying to eat outside..? Oh wait sh-"

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2011, 06:17:14 am »

Ever gotten ambushed several times when your military was very weak and had no armor?
Yeah, it was like that.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2011, 06:19:44 am »

That's exactly what happened to me (read my story above), but the presence of cage traps helped me a lot.
Try Liberal Crime Squad, an excellent Liberal Crime adventure game by Toady One and the open source community!

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2011, 07:04:23 am »

Hehe, that is just wicked.

I usually have
[CITIZEN_DEATH:A_D:D_D:P:R:UCR_A] --pause, recenter
[PET_DEATH:A_D:D_D:P:R:UCR_A]
in init/annoucements so the first death-by-wildlife spurs the fort into action. Or into hiding.
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Forteano

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2011, 03:12:15 am »

Currently on my second attempt to get into DF, still in my (re)training fortress using a newby guide.

My fort was going superbly, everyone happy and well-fed, with around 40 population. But I was dicking around so much with custom stockpiles and engraving my dining room and making the yet-to-be-needed Noble quarters look nice, that I neglected to make a military at all.

I knew a military was a requirement but I thought I'd have more time for some reason.

A goblin ambush waltzed up to the undefended and wide-open fortress entrance. With the game on Pause I made my first military squads of about 8 dwarves in total, completely unarmed, and sent them up to intercept. There was a bloody encounter just before the stairs leading down to the main fortress, and my impromptu military was victorious!

All but one of them was killed or seriously injured, though. There was a minor tantrum spiral that led to me having to lock about 5 other dwarves in their rooms until they died.

I was just getting things back together, when there was another goblin ambush.

Again, I thought I'd have more time to prepare for the next one, so I still didn't have a proper military.

I sent another hastily assembled squad of unarmed wrestlers to meet the invaders. Many goblins got all the way to the underground levels this time.

A massive wave of immigrants had arrived just before this second attack.

Total chaos. It seemed to take ages for all the goblins to be eliminated. I still have no idea exactly how it all went down. At one point I just gave up trying to manage the disaster and watched.

A MAJOR tantrum spiral ensued. There was blood and dead dwarves and goblins everywhere. I locked about 10 dwarves in their rooms. Lots of red-arrowed dwarves milled about without ever going back to their rooms.

I built a load of coffins and had to expand the graveyard. All of these coffins contain a body (and there were still several bodies laying around at the time of the screenshot, as well as some live dwarves still locked in their rooms):

I lost all my legendary miners, including the expedition leader who went berserk in the dining room and splattered my lovingly engraved walls and floor with the blood of two dwarves before being taken down.

Things have settled now. Somehow, the fortress never fell but it was close. And, of course, a lot of Fun.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 03:16:17 am by Forteano »

Kay12

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2011, 05:15:15 am »

Military isn't a requirement, at least until you start having trouble with trap avoiding creatures. The only operations my army has done have been executing captured goblins.
Pages: [1] 2 3