Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: F*** YOU GAME!  (Read 1088 times)

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
F*** YOU GAME!
« on: July 03, 2011, 04:24:32 pm »

So I finally get through the aquifer and I'm ready to move my fortress down to the magma sea. I had 4 very skilled military dwarves, but one died during a goblin siege. Ever since them the remaining military dwarves keep doing the equipment shuffle, and the only way I got them to stop was making them not use weapons. Now a minotaur shows up, and because my military dwarves were screwing around, the thing murders everyone above ground, then goes below ground takes on my military, which is now weaponless. It does not turn out well.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: F*** YOU GAME!
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 04:25:35 pm »

I don't understand.  What's the problem here?

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 04:27:12 pm »

Remember: Losing is Fun

These things happen. If your fort was destroyed by the minotaur, reclaim or make an adventurer and go avenge your dorfs.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 04:27:35 pm »

I dont' believe this is "f*** you game" but rather "game f***ing you."

What is the problem? This sounds like plenty of Fun.

gomwon

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Overseer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 04:56:16 pm »

Uh, i think i understand what is wrong.

You cannot have any woodcutter/miner/hunter/any tool using dwarf in the military, because they can only carry a single tool (As far as i know), and they swap between the job tool and military weapon.

http://twitter.com/#!/Gompasta for Dwarf Fortress Tweetspam.

Zeranamu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am Z
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2011, 05:01:18 pm »

Uh, i think i understand what is wrong.

You cannot have any woodcutter/miner/hunter/any tool using dwarf in the military, because they can only carry a single tool (As far as i know), and they swap between the job tool and military weapon.

Yeah... that's the one thing I forget to do when making new miners, and then I'm yelling at my screen because the damn dorf won't put that hole in the wall like I told him to.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2011, 05:06:47 pm »

Two of my military were miners early on, but since I needed a militia really fast and mining picks were my only weapons at the time, I turned off all their labors (mining included), and put them in the military, using their picks as weapons.

When my axelord died, he was third on a list of 4 military dwarves. Then all my remaining military dwarves, including the 2 pick users (first and second on the list) as well as the knife user (4th on the list) all kept dropping their weapons in the stockpile and picking them back up. Prior to that death, there were no problems managing my military aside from the lack of strong armor materials.

I suppose losing is fun, but it's hard to remember that sometimes  :-[.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 05:08:42 pm by Lagslayer »

K7avenger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2011, 05:09:03 pm »

The minotaur didn't kill his fort, the bugs in equipping your military did. It's kind of hard to call that fun, or "Fun". You can't exactly tell him "suck it up, learn to play, losing is fun" when he was killed by a bug.

gomwon

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Overseer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2011, 05:10:04 pm »

Also check if you have not assigned them both a specific weapon, and individual choice weapon, at the same time. They keep swapping between what they want, and the one you assigned them. I know its a bit late, but for future reference.

http://twitter.com/#!/Gompasta for Dwarf Fortress Tweetspam.

Lagslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • stand-up philosopher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2011, 05:21:05 pm »

They were told to just pick up any old mining pick, though I think one of them had grown attached to his at one point.

rangarkash

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2011, 05:33:50 pm »

Might wanna build a few cage traps next time. :/

LuckyLuigi

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Ever Savescum
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2011, 05:37:50 pm »

This game might not be for you  :P

EDIT : Me playing : PULL THE LEVER !!! PULL IT !!! WHY WONT YOU PULL IT !!! OHGODNOES !!!
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 06:01:31 pm by LuckyLuigi »
Check out Time Denee's brilliant DF comics of Bronzemurder and Oilfurnace.

Batdwarf Forever !

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2011, 05:43:28 pm »

It's not a bug: managing the military is supposed to be challenging, and is why this game is not, for instance starcraft or even dungeon keeper. Soldiers couldn't agree who got to hold the axe and they got butchered by the minotaur.  Odds are he'd a killed them anyway since minotaurs are a. immortal b. huge c. can learn; which leads to killing machines if the world is old enough. Cage trap next time
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

K7avenger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2011, 06:08:20 pm »

He said he had 3 very skilled military dwarves. Now, I obviously don't know exactly how skilled "very skilled" is, but if they were legendary in whatever weapons, I believe 3 would be more than a match for a minotaur, in fact one could very well kill him. The soldiers couldn't agree on the weapon? What? There were 2 picks, one dagger, and one axe to be split between 3 military dwarves. Assuming he didn't give the same weapon to all three (which would explain the whole thing) they shouldn't be fighting over anything except who gets the killing blow.

And how is military management supposed to be challenging? You give them a uniform, schedule, and barracks and they manage themselves. If you don't have everything they need for a uniform, they put what they can on. I've never seen any of my dwarves fight over who wears what piece of armor, and I've never seen them fight over weapons too. If there are 4 mail shirts and 5 dwarves want to wear them, one goes shirtless and doesn't raise a fuss. What he has is a bug.

caknuck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2011, 07:28:25 pm »

It was the ghost of the arsenal dwarf. I blame him.
Quote from: Primary
*Kneels before Urist Dickpuncher*