Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Burrows and military  (Read 949 times)

Merkuri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Burrows and military
« on: July 03, 2011, 04:21:35 pm »

How do military dwarves interact with burrows?

Specifically, I'm wondering what will happen if I designate an area specifically for a certain type of job (say, metalworking) and I burrow a bunch of dwarves in that area, then some of those dwarves are in a squad which puts them on training duty several months out of the year.  If their designated barracks is outside of the burrow, will they still train?  Or do they ignore burrows when they go on duty?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Burrows and military
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 04:24:48 pm »

Off-duty: They observe their burrow until they're about to die, at which point they leave and come back.
On-duty: Burrows are ignored.

They will not train while off duty unless their barracks is within their burrow.  Burrows don't need to connect though, they'll gladly path through un-burrowed space in order to get from one area to another.

Merkuri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 06:13:44 pm »

Good to know, thanks!

Is this info on the wiki anywhere?  I looked for it initially and didn't find anything.  Might be a simple matter to just add one line to the burrow page saying, "Military dwarves ignore burrows when on duty."

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 07:17:59 pm »

Won't hurt to add it. Even if it's somewhere else, if it's not on a relevant page, putting it there is good.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 07:59:11 pm »

They will not train while off duty unless their barracks is within their burrow.
A-ha! I've been trying to figure out how to shut off off-duty training without losing the barrack settings. Thanks.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Merkuri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2011, 10:30:17 pm »

I added it to the burrow page.  Didn't see an appropriate section, so I just added it as a new paragraph in the intro.

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2011, 02:48:01 am »

Looking at the burrows page, I just noticed just how useful it could be, what with the 'Goblins chasing dumb civilians' section.

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2011, 01:12:28 pm »

On a related note, would I be right in thinking that setting a burrow for an alert will open the entire burrow up to all civilians who were previously confined to smaller burrows?

Allow me to explain a little better with the aid of this handy venn diagram I found with google:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Let's say I have numerous burrows for working represented by A. The burrow represented by B is activated with an alert to keep dwarves from wandering too close to the entrance of the fort.

Would activating the alert open up both A and B to those dwarves, freeing them from the areas I had previously confined them to?

The behaviour I would prefer is that they only stick to areas where A and B overlap, but if I'm right about the way these things work, that means I have to split every relevant work burrow into two parts, and then include all the safe parts in the alert seperately.

You dig? :V

Merkuri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2011, 03:05:16 pm »

I believe that if a dwarf is assigned to two burrows (say, a "normal" burrow and an "alert" burrow) they will be restricted to the overlapping pieces of both burrows.

Newbunkle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2011, 06:06:48 am »

If you're right that's great news. It would have been a real PITA to set it all up and then have to fix it.

Merkuri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2011, 08:10:51 am »

I recall wishing it was possible to add two burrows instead of "intersecting" them.  My purpose was to have one "general purpose" burrow that encompassed bedrooms, dining room, well, and food/drink stockpiles, then I'd have other burrows that would contain, for example, the areas that I wanted my miners to focus on.  Then I'd add my miners to the general purpose burrow and the miner burrow and not have to worry about them starving themselves or sleeping on the floor while mining.

The reason I wanted to do it that way, instead of making the mining burrow contain bedrooms, etc, was that I would have multiple burrows like this - an expert miner burrow, a learning miner burrow, a woodcutting burrow, etc, and I didn't want to have to add the bedrooms, dining room, etc. to all of them.

But I also understand the logic in the way it is now.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2011, 08:23:00 am »

Military alerts completely override normal burrow assignments.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.