Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: How Many Copies of DF Do You Have?  (Read 3966 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
How Many Copies of DF Do You Have?
« on: July 03, 2011, 02:29:20 pm »

I've recently realized that I usually end up with no less than 4 folders if given enough time between releases.  1: Fortress Defense with graphic pack, the one I play on.  2: Graphic pack vanilla.  3: ASCII vanilla.  4: Graphic pack with a ton of mods that I blow to hell and back, and eventually delete and copy the graphic-vanilla to get back to basics.

The "Properties" of my main DF file are 518 MB size, 544 MB Size On Disk, containing 10,410 files across 572 folders.

Discuss.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: How Many Copies of DF Do You Have?
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 02:31:57 pm »

I have about 5 folders.

3 of them are usually for mods I'm trying out at the moment, 1 is for my own mod, and the last is the one where I grab pieces of many mods and mix them up while also adding my own stuff.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

kilakan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 02:34:14 pm »

I have 6 at the moment, a clean one and then various mods
Nom nom nom

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 02:36:06 pm »

Crap. I have 14. 18 if you count utilities.

I have 4 regions in my main folder. 1-2 everywhere else.

1.14GB.

andyman564

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 02:41:56 pm »

i only have two, a heavily modded one, used for my personal games. and a Graphic pack vanilla, for succession games.

well actually three if you count the old 40d version i keep around.
Yeah.  Thus why I didn't make a trap.  In it's current state the fortress didn't need a trap, the whole damn fortress is a trap.

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2011, 02:52:18 pm »

Usually just one DF folder per release version, no mods, no graphics packs, some minor Init-file tweaking (max pop up a bit, seasonal saves, adding a customised worldgen to give approx 25 Z-levels of largely uninterupted rock between surface/caverns/magma/etc).  I may well

The directory df_31_25_win comes out as ~880Mb (just a 5yo Region1 game being played, extremely slowly due to extensive micromanaging issues).
The previous version is under df_31_21_win and is 576Mb (reached spring of 1054, having started in spring 1051)
Prior to that, df_31_19_win had regions 1 (Spr1051->Sum1053) and 2 (Spr1051->Sum1051, must have switched to .31.21 rather quickly in that game) and is approx 448Mb in size.

Looking even further back, I have had up to six regions started, in a single version folder, but these days tend not drag (even where possible) an import from a previous version folder to continue with it under a new one, but tend to fine-tune general concepts and then start again from scratch with some Grand Plan learnt from the previous version.  I don't tend to use the seasonal saves for save-scumming purposes (just security of save-data, and perhaps the odd in investigation as to relationship information I may have missed the first time round) Very occasionally I will deliberately copy off the current folder so that I can try something outrageously fort-breaking (e.g. divert everyone I can to mining and abandon all other aspects to see what a particular feature might look like if I spent enough dwarf-hours on it) just to try it out, but most of the time I just integrate that curiosity into the normal running anyway and just take ages over it.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2011, 02:56:00 pm »

I have Vanilla ASCII DF and Genesis Ironhand DF.
I used to  have the ASCII and Phoebus versions of Genesis but I don't use them so I deleted them.

properties of my DF folder: 412/423MB, 4,209 files in 177 folders.

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2011, 03:09:52 pm »

I have 1 for each computer, with no mods on any of them.

I feel inadequate now...
[Signature]

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2011, 03:16:44 pm »

I had about 47, everything in the files added up to be about 80 gigabytes. I deleted most of them, though, so I probably only have 10 now.
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2011, 03:18:27 pm »

I have twelve copies on my taskbar and I have more folders.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Number4

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2011, 03:21:35 pm »

I have 1 (one) copy with a decent graphic pack, that's more than enough.
Thanks for the suggestion, but Number4 is correct: [...] it would be easier and more predictable to just be a racist.

Did somebody just rule 34 two veins of metal?

orrey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2011, 03:24:00 pm »

One actual game version, about 2 gigabytes of various saved games, world gens, backups, etc.

Lytha

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2011, 03:42:34 pm »

I have 6 different versions right now.

Usually, I mod them right there, so none of these 6 versions is vanilla.
Lytha likes fire clay, rose gold, green glass, bags, the colour midnight blue, and cats for their aloofness. When possible, she prefers to consume tea and cow cheese.

Quantum Toast

• Bay Watcher
  • Schrödinger's Breakfast
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 03, 2011, 03:42:44 pm »

Two, I think, and that's only because I didn't initially realise that you can have multiple saves on one copy.
That would be as deadly to the wielder as to anyone else!  You'd sever your own arm at the first swing!  It's perfect!

loose nut

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 03, 2011, 03:51:27 pm »

Two - a .40d folder and a 0.31.25 folder.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4