Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Horse vs Badger  (Read 1440 times)

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Horse vs Badger
« on: July 03, 2011, 12:58:31 pm »

I zoomed to the last and found a dead badger at the base of a tree.

Did my horse just kick a badger so hard that impact killed it?

EDIT: It's happening again. The horse just threw a badger off-screen. This thing is my new fortress guard.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 01:01:43 pm by Lectorog »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: Horse vs Badger
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2011, 01:03:07 pm »

No.

In fact, your horse wrestled the badger, and threw it using the grip of it's leg.  A suitably larger opponent can hurl a creature using the throw move, which will slam them into obstacles.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2011, 01:03:50 pm »

No, the message for killing it by throwing it into a wall would be something like "The badger hits the wall and explodes into pieces." It looks like your horse threw the badger off a cliff.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 01:11:04 pm »

No.

In fact, your horse wrestled the badger, and threw it using the grip of it's leg.  A suitably larger opponent can hurl a creature using the throw move, which will slam them into obstacles.
This is what I thought at first, but it just seemed too absurd. I didn't think a horse could grab anything with its legs. Nor did I know that throwing actually did anything (I've only seen it used in adventure mode).

No, the message for killing it by throwing it into a wall would be something like "The badger hits the wall and explodes into pieces." It looks like your horse threw the badger off a cliff.

Yellow circle is where the tree was before it got cut down. Horse has moved since the fight, dead badger has not.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2011, 01:13:16 pm »

Trees count as obstacles, and dead enemies don't always explode.  This isn't a zombie arcade shooter :P

Throwing apparently only works if you have enough size/strength to make it work.  When you have sufficient advantage, it does actually throw.  The average human adventurer can probably only really throw things like groundhogs though.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2011, 02:53:45 pm »

I lost a miner to a FB (giant nightjar) who got a grip on him, broke his hip with a wrestling move, and then threw him into a tunnel wall to kill him.
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2011, 04:25:37 pm »

Trees count as obstacles, and dead enemies don't always explode.  This isn't a zombie arcade shooter :P

Throwing apparently only works if you have enough size/strength to make it work.  When you have sufficient advantage, it does actually throw.  The average human adventurer can probably only really throw things like groundhogs though.

Interestingly, if both wrestlers are flying, and one throws the other, the thrown wrestler will hit the ground at full force, causing massive damage. For some reason, taking down flying wrestlers while flying makes one wrestler "on the ground" in open space.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2011, 04:31:12 pm »

When you said "while flying" the only thing I could imagine is two people falling sideway, probably slapping each other as they flew.

FallingWhale

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2011, 05:31:58 pm »

I find this interesting for another reason; that badger got a lethal concussion instead of instant death.
Quote from: Spambot
Becoming a software engineering is not a piece of cake that you can slice it off a plate and gorge on it.

CriticallyAshamed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2011, 08:37:23 pm »

I would assume the extra damage was just calculated after the badger had already died from the head trauma. Chronological ordering seems to be a bit odd in DF from my experience.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2011, 09:42:08 pm »

The goblin loses hold of the leather mitten!
The severed part flies off in an arc!