Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: Peasant Fort Sucession (Skills Schmills, skilled labour is for elves!)  (Read 10716 times)

oidip

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Elf lovers...
Kill the child!
Join the new Hermit Succession

ashton1993

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Elf lovers...
Kill the child!

NO! Keep him in a 1X1 room where you can drop in food and also pump magma in the top and allow it to travel through a sometimes-covered grate in the floor, then once a month submerge him in 1/7 magma for a couple of seconds, the sides of the room should be windows and the room is to be in the middle of the dining hall, it'll make a great example for what happens to elf lovers!  :D
Wow, that's actually really friggin' awesome looking.
That is brilliant.
That is hilarious, Ashton. I love it.
OMG yes!!!  Thank you!!!

Totally not a narcissist.

oidip

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Maybe use him as the danger room.

ashton1993

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

But that's not HALF as pointlessly elaborate.  :(
That is brilliant.
OMG yes!!!  Thank you!!!

highzealot

• Bay Watcher
  • BEER FOR THE WOLF LORD...?
    • View Profile
    • YouTube

BURN THE WORLD (ie trees) IN FRONT OF HIM along with ashton's plan! Btw, anyone planing to remake operation fuck the world?
Quote from: Corvidae
So here I am, logging into the Bay12 Forums.  I'm not sure whether to feel happy about this, or sullenly admit the loss of what little remained of my soul after all of this Fun.  So much Fun.  So, so much Fun.  <shudders>
First things first.  You're all soulless husks of what might have once been decent human beings, drafted into a sort of moral apartheid from your better natures in the pursuit of things made out of cute animals.  I love it.

magic dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Btw, anyone planing to remake operation fuck the world?
Thats usually what ends up happening when people allow me to build magma moats/traps.
I only ended up causing minor magma flooding this time   :D

oidip

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Any news Kalban?

kalban

• Bay Watcher
  • Grates are Great!
    • View Profile

Sorry. Life has been intervening. I'm going through Summer now and it should be up today. I'm going to try and get through the other seasons today as well but there's a possibility it wont get done. No matter what, the save will be up tomorrow. Thank you everyone for your patience.

oidip

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Thats fine I keep forgetting to check these forums any how.
We're still technically ahead schedule because me, Max, Magic and HighZealot all did ours in like one or 2 days.
So we should be into week 5 by now but we are only in our second week.

Anyway just remember to have fun.

kalban

• Bay Watcher
  • Grates are Great!
    • View Profile

1st Hematite, 139
   Today a crowd of dwarves stormed in to my office, furious at the elven influence in our fortress. Word had spread of the creation of Blossomrounded, the willow flute, and the old hatreds have shown their ugly faces.
   “Death to the elves” was the phrase that greeted me as I looked up from my plans to break the goblin siege. “And to those who would be like them!” Blame was cast in all directions - at myself for trading with the elves, at previous overseers for using elven products rather than burning them, and even at the Mountainhomes for being at peace with the elves in the first place. Many claimed the imminent destruction of dwarven civilization was at hand. Opinions were mixed about what should be done.  Some called for the immediate execution of the child. Others wanted more elaborate punishment. One dwarf showed me plans for some elaborate glass magma chamber he had drawn up. And every so often there would be a high-pitched cry from the back of “BURN THE ENTIRE WORLD!”
   But I knew these dwarves were only a small part of the whole fortress. Surely her parents wouldn’t want the poor girl put to death. I found myself feeling sympathy for her. I thought back to myself as a child and how I would drink camel milk. My parents were disgusted by this. “How can you drink milk like a human? It’s like runny cheese!” They were so relieved when I switched to drinking the gutter cruor common at my home fortress. Perhaps this was also a phase for poor little Deduk. I couldn't order her execution. But I also couldn’t ignore the concerns of so many. As I looked down at my siege plans, I realized what I had to do.
   “Good dwarves,” I said, “I hear your concerns. And so I decree that the elves and the girl, Deduk, shall be put to Trial by Goblins.”
 A loud “Ha” could be heard from the back but otherwise there was silence. Some were nodding while others looked disappointed but I knew no decision would please everyone. I immediately placed orders to put my plan in to action. Many labors were suspended in order to get the construction done before the siege lifted. I feared that if goblins left early, my hand would be forced to more severe action.

4th Hematite, 139
   No doubt alarmed by our construction, the elves have announced their intention to leave soon. How they expect to get out in the middle of a siege is beyond me. Still, this plan must be put in to place soon or else mob justice may break out.

15th Hematite, 139
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Everything is almost in place. I only need to remove the final wall to allow the goblins access. They will then come down a narrow tunnel and choose between two doors. Behind one will be our military. Behind the other are the accused. The elves are still packing their things and have no idea what is about to happen. In the back of my mind I hope they leave early and are slaughtered by the goblins for making this necessary. And I pray that nothing happens to poor little Deduk. I am tempted to place a soldier with her, but such interference will void the Trial. I’ve placed some weapon traps along the goblin walkway, claiming it a mercy for our troops but in truth I hope it will give Deduk a fighting chance.
Amidst the preparations, a baby girl is born. I hope this is a good omen, but I also remember the old saying that with life, comes death.

19th Hematite, 139
   I remove the wall myself, then scurry in to the burrow with everyone else but Deduk and the military. The master swordsman is first to take the bait.
   The elves try to make a break for it as we unbolt the door for the trial, only to run headfirst in to the goblins. The swordsmaster dodges all the traps to be the first to meet them.
   Two elves are struck down along with their pack animals. But the goblins have taken heavy losses from the traps and the swordsmaster sounds retreat for his squad as the Trolls begins to enter the tunnel. The elves seem to believe the Siege is over and walk right in to them.
   They kill two more elves but have difficulty with the Yaks. The crossbowman’s squad begins to enter the tunnel so I order the tunnel bridge closed so as not to overwhelm our military.
   The military seems to have become excited by the sounds of battle and they race in to meet the trolls, led unfortunately by the marksdwarves. Wrestler Mosus takes advantage of the weak trolls for some quick kills.
   The bridge goes up just in time to keep the  crossbowman out while the trolls are dispatched. Once that’s done, I allow some dwarves out to clean the traps before I allow the trial to continue.
   But the goblins do not want to wait. The crossbowman quickly takes position to snipe at our livestock, and shows why he is considered elite.
   To distract them, I order the front gate open, intending to shut it before any goblins can penetrate it. Unfortunately, a miscommunication causes everyone to believe the siege is over and run out to celebrate. I quickly tell everyone to get back underground, but the remaining elf manages to escape.
   The elite marksman takes shots at our own marksdwarves on the way to the gate. Tragically, he manages to kill one of our own.
   Moments later the militia captain meets the same fate. But soon the crossbowman heads for the front gate, where he is caught in a cage trap. I order the bridge raised. The lashers wait by the crossbowman’s cage, as if trying to figure out how to free him. I order the tunnel bridge lowered to entice them in to the traps but they remain by their leader. The remaining squad of spearmen, led by a lasher of their own, see the situation and decide to leave, rather than face the trapped tunnel. I decide to send the military out to face the remaining goblins.
   But although numbers are about even, the entirety of both squads sent out are struck down by the lashers, including legendary hammerdwarves “Conan” and Avuz. Recently named dwarf “Oidip II” and six others are also struck down. And we remain under siege. The goblins lose only one. I fear my name may go down in shame after this defeat.

20th Malachite, 139
   With no recourse left, I’ve ordered an archery tower constructed to shoot at the remaining goblins. I can only hope this takes care of them, so that we may gather our dead in peace. I’ve also allowed Deduk to come back in to the fortress. I know her parents will be relieved that she made it through this ordeal unscathed. I wish I could say the same for our military. I am at a loss for words for the dozen dead we have accumulated in this siege. If only I hadn’t been so brash as to send our undertrained military out.

26th Malachite, 139
   At last the siege is over, though at the cost of yet another dwarf. A brave marksdwarf was able to bait the remaining goblins in to cage traps by running through the front gate, but the last one whipped him to death first. I am exhausted. But now we can gather our dead asnd move on.

11th Galena, 139
   As we finish the cleanup of the battle, I realize we now need to have a new Militia Commander.  In spite of my lack of military skills, I have placed myself in the position. I’ve also ordered the removal of the tunnel from the trial. I don’t wish to be reminded of it anymore. Once that’s done we can rebuild the roads.

13th Galena, 139
   Human traders have arrived. We have plenty of old goblin goods to trade them.

16th Galena. 139
   An ambush! We are unprepared. I order all dwarves inside and hope for the best.

17th Galena, 139
   A lasher has killed a civilian planter. How many more must die?

18th Galena, 139
   Our last trained marksdwarf is killed by their marksman. I’ve added more to the squad, but it’s the traps that will save us now. Four thieves in a row have shown up as well, only to be caught in our cages.

20th Galena, 139
   One lasher makes it past our traps. I order every soldier in the fortress to converge on him. The bear and leopard we purchased from the elves are on him quickly, but are soon struck down. Two relatively untrained dwarves are on him first, and I prepare myself for the worst. But instead, he is struck down.
But before we can be too happy, there’s another ambush. We have the bridge up but the traps can’t be reloaded.

27th Galena, 139
   And then another ambush. Sure. Why not? They’re all lashers, by the way.

As fall ends, I consider all the dwarves who have dies during my reign and decide it is time to retire. I record now my notes for my cavern reclamation project, in hopes that it is useful for the next overseer.
   This is a trap for forgotten beasts. You can use the bridges to lure it in and then trap it, at which point the spikes can be set on repeat until it’s dead.
   This is a failsafe that works the same way, in case the beast gets by the first one for some reason. The spikes are still unfinished. You will need to go in and unsuspend the build jobs for some. Also, walls were mined out for cassiterite and will need to be built again. The spikes will also need to be connected to the appropriate lever.
   These are all the levers. They are all labeled with notes. There’s room to build more for the other two caverns.

Other notes:
   We have not yet traded with the humans, but most of our finished goods are at the trade depot.
   We still need bedrooms.
   The military needs lots of replacements.
   We still have unsmelted cassiterite and tetrahedrite for making bronze. We also have goblin weapons to melt for iron.
   We have quite a few silver war hammers and a ton of green glass menacing spikes.
   Good luck!

Thanks everyone! This has been a fun experience but I’m just too busy to keep up with it. I am going to keep reading though.

Here's the save: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=4683

ashton1993

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Peasant Fort Sucession (Skills Schmills, skilled labour is for elves!)
« Reply #100 on: July 17, 2011, 05:53:13 am »

Hmm... Deduk was lucky this time, I wonder what the next overseer will do with the elf lover.
That is brilliant.
OMG yes!!!  Thank you!!!

magic dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 17, 2011, 06:20:07 am »

do we have a danger room yet? that could really help out our military!

also we could be a bigger wall surround the entire valley-ish area our dwarves inhabit to keep out the bowgoblins

oidip

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 17, 2011, 10:08:54 am »

Oidip III?

Also Ashton you are the next overseer.

highzealot

• Bay Watcher
  • BEER FOR THE WOLF LORD...?
    • View Profile
    • YouTube
« Reply #103 on: July 17, 2011, 10:34:56 am »

Did the child die or was she not really a part of the battle?

edit/ Nevermind, I think I know.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2011, 03:26:27 pm by highzealot »
Quote from: Corvidae
So here I am, logging into the Bay12 Forums.  I'm not sure whether to feel happy about this, or sullenly admit the loss of what little remained of my soul after all of this Fun.  So much Fun.  So, so much Fun.  <shudders>
First things first.  You're all soulless husks of what might have once been decent human beings, drafted into a sort of moral apartheid from your better natures in the pursuit of things made out of cute animals.  I love it.

ashton1993

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 17, 2011, 03:25:11 pm »

Hmm... Deduk was lucky this time, I wonder what the next overseer will do with the elf lover.
Also Ashton you are the next overseer.

Oooh... I think I know now  :P
That is brilliant.
OMG yes!!!  Thank you!!!

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8