Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Gems During Strange Mood  (Read 2720 times)

Adramelech

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Gems During Strange Mood
« on: July 02, 2011, 07:00:23 pm »

One of my dorfs is possessed and demands rough gems. I have plenty, but he doesn't seem to want them. Is it possible that he'll only take the type he has a preference for?
In this case, those would be pipe opals, and I can't find them anywhere on my map. :<

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
Re: Gems During Strange Mood
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 07:03:44 pm »

its probably glass
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

elf-fondling human

• Bay Watcher
  • 4-d ftw
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 07:05:31 pm »

Are there any burrows? Are the gems forbidden? Is there access to them?
That didn't last long, huh? Shame, cause binary's cool. Anyway, an important message: I will be changing my names on every username based thing I use to ASCIt on/around 10/1. Consolidating, I guess you could say.

Adramelech

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 07:06:01 pm »

its probably glass
He says "rough... color".
Glass is "raw... green", "raw... clear" or "raw... crystal".

Adramelech

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2011, 07:06:56 pm »

No burrows, and the gems are unforbidden and less than 5 steps away from the metalsmith's forge.

uncool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2011, 07:08:05 pm »

No burrows, and the gems are unforbidden and less than 5 steps away from the metalsmith's forge.
Are you certain that it's the gems he's missing? Do you have more of everything he asked for before the gems?
=Uncool-

unknownhours

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2011, 07:09:59 pm »

Is there another item demanded? Demands must be fulfilled in order.
perl -pi -w -e 's/PET_EXOTIC/PET/g;' *.txt

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2011, 07:10:26 pm »

Gems are an issue during moods. Sometimes they just don't accept what you have. Might only take his preference.

Does he have anything else he wants? If something else is on his "list" above it, he won't get the gem until the above is obtained.
Whoa, double ninja'd on that one.

Adramelech

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2011, 07:17:24 pm »

Gems are an issue during moods. Sometimes they just don't accept what you have. Might only take his preference.

Does he have anything else he wants? If something else is on his "list" above it, he won't get the gem until the above is obtained.
Whoa, double ninja'd on that one.
The only other things he wanted were leather and metal. He has both, and I have a surplus of them as well.
I suppose he's screwed. D:

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2011, 07:20:43 pm »

Give him stone. An entire ceiling's worth. Let him look through it for the gems he wants. Deliver it from above, for safety reasons.

Adramelech

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2011, 07:44:45 pm »

Interesting update.
While taking care of other chores in the fortress due to my near-certainty that the mood was going to fail, I noticed a dorf cleaning up a bloody mess from troglodyte genocide in the cavern and so decided to build a well in the water to give him quicker access. Upon making the stone block at the mason's workshop, my moody fellow ran to it, took it and grabbed a random gem and started building.

I suppose he needed both rock and metal bars. ???

EDIT: And it's a toy axe.
Woo.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 07:49:08 pm by Adramelech »

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2011, 07:50:27 pm »

Interesting update.
While taking care of other chores in the fortress due to my near-certainty that the mood was going to fail, I noticed a dorf cleaning up a bloody mess from troglodyte genocide in the cavern and so decided to build a well in the water to give him quicker access. Upon making the stone block at the mason's workshop, my moody fellow ran to it, took it and grabbed a random gem and started building.

Woo.
I think the "I need blocks" line is currently glitched so that metal and stone bars/blocks count as the same thing but only aesthetically.
Either way, I've found it's always a good idea to have a boat-load of blocks laying around should I ever need emergency walls or wells or whatever, as well as for moods like that.
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

uncool

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2011, 08:17:20 pm »

Interesting update.

Woo.
I think the "I need blocks" line is currently glitched so that metal and stone bars/blocks count as the same thing but only aesthetically.
Either way, I've found it's always a good idea to have a boat-load of blocks laying around should I ever need emergency walls or wells or whatever, as well as for moods like that.
Is it faster to build walls from blocks than from stone? Or do you mean metal blocks?
=Uncool-

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2011, 08:28:05 pm »

It isn't faster directly, but blocks A) are somewhat more valuable than rocks or logs (not bars, though), B) can be stored in bins so they take up less space, C) are lighter-weight per unit and so your masons can move faster while carrying them making them quicker to get to build sites, and D) aren't raw materials, so if you use the stocks menu to gauge your material stockpiles they won't lead you to believe that you have more stuff than you actually do.

Some buildings, like wells, also require a block. The primary advantage of blocks, however, is the higher value, and there's really no penalty for keeping ten or twenty on hand for when you need them.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Dradym

• Bay Watcher
  • if its hard, overly complex, but fun, its a dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2011, 10:33:07 pm »

maybe he wantewd something that is a color he likes, and didnt care about the medium-like he likes purple and you finally got a purple stone or gem or metal(or wood)
Pages: [1] 2