Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: RoastedMerchants: Successor to BoltOrbs  (Read 2051 times)

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
RoastedMerchants: Successor to BoltOrbs
« on: July 02, 2011, 04:53:54 pm »

Well, BoltOrbs kind of died, mainly because I was adding features to my mod. I started too early. Now though, I present RoastedMerchants.

Prologue:

Throughout my ventures in the field of cartography I have visited many places. I have visited towering mountains, I have visited lush forests, oceans, fields, even a dreaded swamp. Despite this, I am prone to failure. My last attempt at finding glory led to barren wasteland devoid of life. Luckily, I have revised my plans and am ready to once again set out for the great Forest of Heather!

I put together a new team of dwarves to assist me in once again starting a new life in a new land, untouched by human—or worse, elven—hands. Together, we call ourselves, the Great Group of Brains! The settlement... I know what I will call it. I shall call it... Ibeshasmel! RoastedMerchants! Perfect!

To glory! Strike the Earth!

Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

Conan

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm running out of stone!
    • View Profile
Re: RoastedMerchants: Successor to BoltOrbs
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 04:58:16 pm »

Roastedmerchants! I love the sound of that. Magma usage will be at a maximum, I suppose.

Make me an axedwarf broker, I'll deal with the merchants as you find magma. Feel free to tack on any other skill you'd like instead of brokering, if you want, but make sure I am assigned as the broker when we arrive.

EDIT: I'll pull BoltOrbs off the FORT thread then.

Ahra

• Bay Watcher
  • Immoveable, Indestuctible
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 05:08:29 pm »

speardwarf male useless immigrant please?
And then the horror hits: This was just spring.
We are SOooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo fucked.
Quite fucked indeed.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2011, 02:58:28 pm »

Roastedmerchants! I love the sound of that. Magma usage will be at a maximum, I suppose.

Make me an axedwarf broker, I'll deal with the merchants as you find magma. Feel free to tack on any other skill you'd like instead of brokering, if you want, but make sure I am assigned as the broker when we arrive.

EDIT: I'll pull BoltOrbs off the FORT thread then.

I'm the broker, mechanic, and architect for now. I suppose I can make you broker and make myself one just in case you're on break, but until an axedwarf migrant arrives, you'll have to wait.

Will do.
speardwarf male useless immigrant please?

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Update 1
« Reply #4 on: July 06, 2011, 12:58:54 am »

1st Granite, 52

Well, not again. We've arrived in a completely unknown land, once again, in a barren wasteland!

I told Zuntir, the ranger, to scout out the area. She came back to me and reported the results.

Well... we don't have a volcano. We have no water. It's freezing cold, and I lost one of my hats a while back. To the south lies the Tapered Point... none other than a mountain. To the east lie the Sensitive Dunes, a savage, wild desert known for its sandworms.
To the west lies the Riddled Dune, a rocky wasteland devoid of anything useful. That is, on the surface. There's got to be something useful below the dirt. I can just feel it.
To the north lie the dreaded Blizzards of Torturing. I have traveled there before, but not to this part. I got mauled by a mammoth, and it was a highly disconcerting experience for me. I don't want to come back there, but here we are, at its very base.

In short, this sucks. But hey, we can dig into the mountain and hope for more workers honored guests to arrive after us! We can start a living here. Besides, the wagon broke down at precisely this spot, next to the mountain.

We've got work to do. Lets get started.

Gyvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2011, 09:42:46 am »

I've got a good feeling about this place.

HighEndNoob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2011, 12:27:32 pm »

I wish to be the first Mason Migrant.
(5) You manage to struggle free of the guards and sprint to a safe distance before tossing a knife at one! (5 + 1 = 6) The throwing knife zips through the air, slitting a guard's throat! It then travels around the group of guards like a boomerang. It (5) Slits another throat, (Three 6's in a row!) decapitates three more (!), (4) slices open the last guard's arm, and (2) narrowly misses a random bystander. It then flies back into your hand. Holy crap.

Hitty40

• Bay Watcher
  • Poker face, motherfucker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2011, 01:03:50 pm »

Can i has axe made of Magma?
Ho Ho Ho! I'm going to be sticking economic stone so far up your stockings, you'll be coughing up gemstone windows!
You see, when the devil comes on to your forums and begins dropping F bombs and shouts 'GIVE ALL YOUR WOMEN!', he's in a happy mood.
if there's lots of g's and z's, it's gobbo. If you don't really recognize it, it's human. if it's called Urist, it's dwarf.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 06, 2011, 01:20:16 pm »

Alright, current dwarf requests:

Conan: Axedwarf + broker, male
Ahra: Speardwarf, male
HEN: Mason, male
Hitty40: Axedwarf?

12th Slate, 52

Over a month has passed since the foundation of the fort. Since then, not too much has happened. Athel the cook just butchered the Oxen, since we won't be needing them anymore. The only animals we have now are the spiders and the beetles. Speaking of which...

Sword Spiders: They have black chitin. Their most prominent feature is their speed, which is somewhat higher than that of a dog, and their two sword-like talons on their thorax. These talons are perfect for combat as they can both slash and stab. These spiders can learn, and though they are smaller than dogs, they rival them in their highly social nature and their ability to comprehend social interactions, though they can't speak. They also hunt vermin.

Spikehead Beetles: These beetles have a large horn to accompany their large mandible. While their weapons cannot penetrate armor as easily as a Sword Spider's, these Beetles are larger than dogs, and the males are known for their immense strength. They are perfect guards and they tend to adopt their owners. They serve a secondary purpose... to provide a substance similar to cow milk that comes from glands within their mouths. This is normally used to feed eggs thanks to said egg's permeable membrane. Their eggs are tiny and hatch somewhat quickly.

Anyway, I ordered Dobar, our only miner, to dig out a general entrance to the fort. I'm planning to create an alternate path filled with traps, which can be opened with the flip of a switch. This is all in the future, of course.

After some time, Dobar struck a light-reddish material. She came looking completely excited. I asked what was going on, she said it was Kaolinite. Kaolinite! If my memory serves me correctly, that material is an ore of iron! Wait no, that's hematite. Kaolinite is used for porcelain.

Well, we won't dabble in earthenware quite yet. We have to secure a fuel source first. Until then, armor and weapons are the priority. I plan to design a massive pump or two to bring the necessary resources of water and of course magma into our fort.

Anyway, time to build a wall out of the stuff! I looked over the materials we had, and though kaolinite was plentiful, we didn't mine enough of it to make a complete wall.

I simply ordered Dobar to mine some more of it. I laid out the instructions and began to design the farms. I need an office.

« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 01:38:00 pm by _DivideByZero_ »

Gyvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 06, 2011, 03:09:16 pm »

Well, you'll have plenty of pots for food and booze at least.

Quarynn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2011, 03:15:50 pm »

Quarynn, Swordsdwarf
Ancient Steam-Bot, with 1,000,000 horse power

shadenight123

• Bay Watcher
  • Death. To all. Except my dwarves.
    • View Profile
    • My Twitter
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2011, 03:30:54 pm »

dorf me in as Shade, the medic.
who in his freetime does whatever there is to do.
“Well,” he said. “We’re in the Forgotten hunting grounds I take it. Your screams just woke them up early. Congratulations, Lyara.”
“Do something!” she whispered, trying to keep her sight on all of them at once.
Basileus clapped his hands once. The Forgotten took a step forward, attracted by the sound.
“There, I did something. I clapped. I like clapping,” he said. -The Investigator And The Case Of The Missing Brain.

Gyvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2011, 03:50:57 pm »

Dorf me as a Hammerdwarf when one's available please.
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 03:53:16 pm by Gyvon »

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2011, 11:07:55 am »

Hey guys, I'm really sorry, but it turns out we didn't have enough booze to make it until the first harvest. I had to dig into the caverns, which completely ruined the storytelling aspect of the fort, since I was saving that for later. I'll have to restart the fort. Maybe I can get the world seed and reembark with more booze?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2011, 10:02:42 pm by _DivideByZero_ »

Quarynn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2011, 03:03:05 pm »

Awww..
Ancient Steam-Bot, with 1,000,000 horse power
Pages: [1] 2