Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Soldiers not training with weapons  (Read 987 times)

kellen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Soldiers not training with weapons
« on: July 02, 2011, 12:32:01 pm »

So, I finally got a population big enough to support the beginnings of an army. Made 5 silver warhammers and 5 copper armour sets (nothing but galena and copper dug up so far), made the squad, equiped them properly (when inspected, the dwarfs show all the gear I assigned to them), assigned training schedule, and left them to train.

Its been almost a dwarf year now, and they've been training - so I left them to it. But just now I checked up on them and found out that they're training in everything but Warhammers and Shield Use. Right now, they've gained and are gaining exp in dodging, kicking, fighting, and armor use....but not in the weapons they have equipped, nor the shields that they have.

Did I fudge up something somewhere?

Yeti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Soldiers not training with weapons
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 12:40:13 pm »

If they're not at least level 1 in whichever weapon skill you want them to use, then they won't train using the weapons. In order to get them to level one you have to have them off-duty, so they'll carry out "individual training" in their spare time.

Gyvon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 12:43:09 pm »

Make sure their weapon is not set to "individual choice".

tivec

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 01:08:18 pm »

If they're not at least level 1 in whichever weapon skill you want them to use, then they won't train using the weapons. In order to get them to level one you have to have them off-duty, so they'll carry out "individual training" in their spare time.

... So this is why my soldiers never train with weapons! Many thanks for this little gem, I'm going to have to try it asap.

Side note: Shouldn't this be on the wiki? Is it already?
Urist McDoctor recommends a healthy magma bath to minimize the risk for infection.

In one fort I had war elephants riding camels into battle. I can imagine the war elephants taming them simply by picking them up and dropping them in a coral. I still don't understand how you can fit a few ton elephant onto camel though.

Check out my Let's Play on my Youtube channel: www.youtube.com/thetivec

kellen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2011, 01:11:48 pm »

Nope. Its not.

And here I was, thinking that my dwarfs were right handed and were throwing a quiet fit of non-compliance because they had their hammers in their left hands.

Monk321654

• Bay Watcher
  • [COMPUTER_DEPENDENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2011, 02:07:39 pm »

Nope. Its not.

And here I was, thinking that my dwarfs were right handed and were throwing a quiet fit of non-compliance because they had their hammers in their left hands.
Actually, I think ALL creatures are left handed.
In Adventure Mode, whichever weapon is in your left hand is the first thing you'll have available to swing, then the weapon in your right.
This is a side-effect of dwarven animal training (hit animal with hammer until it forgets that it hates you, then lovingly cuddle it).

I'm not your average Bay12er. I care about my drunken midgets.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2011, 02:27:41 pm »

Nope. Its not.

Actually, I think ALL creatures are left handed.
In Adventure Mode, whichever weapon is in your left hand is the first thing you'll have available to swing, then the weapon in your right.
Nope. Items are sorted in order of being equipped.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

kellen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2011, 03:15:55 pm »

One legendary skirt and two caravans later, I'm still trying to figure out how to get them to do individual training. I have set up the barracks, weapons and all, and have completely freed up the dwarves who I wish would train. Instead of training, however, they're just idling.

RAKninja

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware his deadly fusion cannon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2011, 06:53:12 pm »

One legendary skirt and two caravans later, I'm still trying to figure out how to get them to do individual training. I have set up the barracks, weapons and all, and have completely freed up the dwarves who I wish would train. Instead of training, however, they're just idling.
squad of ten, train order, two minimum?  the rest should be "off duty but active" and thus individual drills.  i think ANY order will work,  you only need that the squad have an order

i think.
Goblin Fortress (NOW UPDATED FOR 34.02!
magma on his bed when he is sleeping, works every time

Yeti

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2011, 08:36:38 pm »

It's vital that your potential soldiers are in an "active" squad. However the squad must not have any orders to carry out.