Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: A Dwarf Fortress forum topic game idea  (Read 5795 times)

sadron

• Bay Watcher
  • Manic Asphyxiation
    • View Profile
A Dwarf Fortress forum topic game idea
« on: July 02, 2011, 08:44:30 am »

One thing I'd like to try is a game where I have the people on the forums find me an embark location, and then I post a game in the games section where my dwarves try to cope with the fortress they put me in. Would they embark me on a tiny island? Perhaps a completely hideous evil area? Or maybe a frozen wasteland with no trees? Your thoughts?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 09:29:58 am by sadron »

Lezard

• Bay Watcher
  • Detests !!Caravans!! for their terrifing antics.
    • View Profile
Re: A forum game idea...
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 08:51:07 am »

you could have several people playing an insane embark in parallel and seeing who can have the least fun for the longest time...i like it.
Currently I have "The Breached Anus of brides"  sounds like a disastrous honey moon.
Exactly. Ethics in DF are very realistic - trivial and pointlessly selectively ex/inclusive.

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 08:55:40 am »

To be honest, I find that the embark location is only dangerous at first. Wood can be gotten via trade and caverns. Undead and savage (and too benign) animals can be repelled. So really, surviving an evil or savage place sucks at the first few months, and as the game progresses, merely kills the occasional migrant.

sadron

• Bay Watcher
  • Manic Asphyxiation
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 08:56:18 am »

I'm glad you approve. I'd really be willing to go with this if some people end up interested.

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2011, 09:30:21 am »

... but anyhow, I'd be interested to see how this progresses.  :D

Lezard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: A Dwarf Fortress forum topic game idea
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2011, 09:51:53 am »

Would you prepare for embark with no idea what's there? that could be Fun!
Currently I have "The Breached Anus of brides"  sounds like a disastrous honey moon.
Exactly. Ethics in DF are very realistic - trivial and pointlessly selectively ex/inclusive.

Neyvn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2011, 10:03:55 am »

This is something that bothers me. Finding a place to Embark...
Its the one thing that stops me from fully enjoying the game as I will spend a long amount of time searching worlds, destroying worlds, making worlds and continuously cycling through this pattern until I no longer want to play DF for the day. Then rinse and repeat next time I get my DF itch. I haven't played past the first MONTH of a Game before I try and find another place which is better unless its a Succession fort....
Quote from: Ubiq
Broker: Wasn't there an ambush squad here just a second ago?
Merchant: I don't know what you're talking about. Do you want this goblin ankle bone amulet or not?
My LIVESTREAM. I'm Aussie, so not everything is clean. Least it works...

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2011, 10:10:49 am »

This sounds like it could be fun. The only "problem" is that, past a certain point, it doesn't really matter where you embark. Embark on an awesome volcanic mountain range or have half of your site covered by water, other half with an aquifer; it won't make much difference after a few minutes. It's pretty easy to survive and prosper no matter where you embark, as far as location is concerned.

Would still be pretty fun, especially if you don't prepare specifically for the location.

sadron

• Bay Watcher
  • Manic Asphyxiation
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2011, 10:52:01 am »

Would you prepare for embark with no idea what's there? that could be Fun!
Yep, completely balls to the wall ignorance on what I'm getting into.

Scruga

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McDwarf cancels eat: Interupted by goat
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2011, 11:00:56 am »

The idea of one dangerous embark and several people playing for a certain period - say 1 year - and then posting results really appeals to me!

I like to see how a parallel start leads to different ends :)

Just some screenshots and a little text report would be awesome :o
New question! If I were to remove elves [INTELLIGENT] tag in the raws, would it work?
Dwarf Fortress: Where taking a creatures intelligence is an accepted way of modding.

sadron

• Bay Watcher
  • Manic Asphyxiation
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2011, 11:10:28 am »

So what should we do? I'd like to see this go some where. Another idea for me continuing after one year would be things the people in the forum topic would like me to attempt or some such.

Lezard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2011, 11:36:07 am »

Well I'm down!  I'm not too experienced with trading data in df yet, and I'm on ubuntu which (hopefully wouldn't effect anything) but if you sent me you're embark profile I could Gen a world, start a few embarks, post details of what's there and people can vote, i'd then post the chosen save so everyone that wanted to would start with the same resources.

Of course if there is an better way to do this or someone who doesn't suck at life wants to take over let me know  :D

sadron

• Bay Watcher
  • Manic Asphyxiation
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2011, 11:39:19 am »

What do you mean my embark profile, you mean, a saved world that I generated? Or something? Even after all this time playing I still don't know certain things. :P I feel kinda dumb.

Lezard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2011, 11:43:58 am »

haha I might be phrasing it wrong, i mean the skills of your starting dwarfs what you want to bring with you etc

also anyone with suggestions for types of embark could pm whoever is going to generate the world, to keep it as blind as possible for the people who want to take part.

Lectorog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2011, 11:44:57 am »

Embark profile: While setting your dwarves with skills, and "purchasing" items, push "s" to save the embark profile. Lets you use the same set-up in future forts, whether they be your own or of someone to whom you gave the profile save.

I think that setting people up with the same embark site and profile would be the best way to go about this.
Pages: [1] 2 3