Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dyspraxia - Like Clumsiness Taken To It's Logical Extreme  (Read 5603 times)

RF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dyspraxia - Like Clumsiness Taken To It's Logical Extreme
« on: July 02, 2011, 03:34:03 am »

So, I've been recently rediagnosed with dyspraxia (which is an issue with muscle control, sometimes mild, sometimes severe) and I was wondering if any other B12Gers think they might be dyspraxic or have been diagnosed as dyspraxic.

Dyspraxia is basically clumsiness taken to it's logical extreme. It can be clumsiness in ALL areas of life (walking down the street, getting stuck on certain words, manual dexterity, writing etc). There's a big list of symptoms here, so check them out if you're curious.

One of the major issues I see with it is that one day (in a game, not real life) you can be "pwnin' da noobs" and the next you just can't do anything properly. You should have been able to use that skill at the perfect time but you missed and hit the taunt key or switched to the wrong weapon or anything else, really. It gets me REALLY frustrated when I mess up at a game I'm normally good at.

Anyone else suspect they've got this? I expect we've got quite a lot of dyspraxics in here just thinking they're supremely clumsy. Remember, guys, you CAN undesignate mining spots in Dwarf Fortress BEFORE those miners dig into that river. ;p
« Last Edit: July 03, 2011, 07:13:58 am by RF »

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dyspraxia
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 05:33:04 am »

I have dysgraphia - It's pretty similar to dyspraxia but it primarily takes its toll on my writing ability.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 06:44:27 pm »

Given how I bump into things, have awful handwriting and stumble over words a lot, I might ask my doctor next time I go in for something else, but I'm 6 foot 4, know people with worse handwriting and I'm just not a particularly good speaker, so I don't really think so. Interesting to know there's a condition like this though.

How severely does it impact on your daily life? Outside of video games, I mean.

e: looking through, I definitely have the symptoms as relating to speech, but I think that's probably just me not being good at it yet.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 06:53:45 pm »

Given how I bump into things, have awful handwriting and stumble over words a lot, I might ask my doctor next time I go in for something else, but I'm 6 foot 4, know people with worse handwriting and I'm just not a particularly good speaker, so I don't really think so. Interesting to know there's a condition like this though.

e: looking through, I definitely have the symptoms as relating to speech, but I think that's probably just me not being good at it yet.

Oddly, I'm the same way. Although I don't bump into stuff very often, I feel I have problems with speech and handwriting.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

RF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2011, 06:54:17 pm »

You should probably go ask, at least. 10% of the male population, man. That's a LOT.

I stutter sometimes but it's pretty infrequent (which is why it's unusual) and needs me to stop and consider the sentence before I can carry on, can't really control the pitch of my voice so I sometimes go girlishly high pitched especially when I'm shocked (jarring because I'm a naturally deep voiced guy), my handwriting is abysmal (to an extreme, it looks like a five-year-old is writing), I can't ride a bike, I don't trust myself to get behind the wheel of a car, I walk like a drunk... Shit. I thought it didn't really have any effect on my life but it really does. :| There's a bunch more, too.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2011, 04:48:52 am »

Huh. It's very possible I could have this honestly. Would make a lot of sense out of a lot of things. I'm already diagnosed with anxiety disorders and have had spinal problems stemming from posture when I was younger. This might be something I need to bring up to my doctor.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
Re: Dyspraxia - Like Clumsiness Taken To It's Logical Extreme
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2011, 09:12:37 am »

I may have this.
I haven't been diagnosed with it yet, so I have no idea.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

RF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2011, 07:16:49 am »

Welcome to the fold, both of you. :P

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2011, 10:35:25 am »

I don't think I have it, but I have terrible coordination in my legs.  Can't skateboard, rollerblade, play hacky-sack or anything like that.

Edit:  That seems like an awful lot of symptoms.  Are we sure this isn't a made up condition that exists mostly to sell medication?
« Last Edit: July 04, 2011, 10:38:39 am by Levi »
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

Vector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2011, 12:41:20 pm »

Why, it's a good thing that someone here pays attention to the DSM-IV!

Those are all possible symptoms/signs of the disorder.  Trust me, when you line up the possible constellation of, say, Asperger's symptoms and qualities, it's at least twice that long, if not longer (the diagnosis itself is about four times as long in the DSM-IV).  This is because AS adds a variety of possible social deficits, obsessive tendencies, sensory overload info, and potential coping mechanisms to the constellation.

So, they're all possibilities, but one certainly doesn't need all of them for a diagnosis.

Also, given that dyspraxia is fairly close to the Pervasive Developmental Disorder spectrum, I wouldn't be at all surprised if no medication existed.  Most of those things need to be helped with therapy more than anything else.

Anyway, I don't have this, although I'm almost 100% certain a cousin of mine does (if you go down the list, I could tic off literally every single thing for him).  I used to have the gross motor skills problems, but around the 7th or 8th time I retaught myself how to walk, I got to the point where I can do it well almost all the time.  Other than that, though, all of the stuff about speech, perception, and emotion apply to me.

Meh.
"The question of the usefulness of poetry arises only in periods of its decline, while in periods of its flowering, no one doubts its total uselessness." - Boris Pasternak

nonbinary/genderfluid/genderqueer renegade mathematician and mafia subforum limpet. please avoid quoting me.

pronouns: prefer neutral ones, others are fine. height: 5'3".

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2011, 03:53:45 pm »

I like that website better.  It seems a a lot more specific.

I actually have awful handwriting(when I was a kid I got sent to a special school for it), general clumsiness/lack of coordination and very shaky hands, but I'm an excellent typist and fairly decent at video games in general.

For me I think its just the way I am, not a disorder.
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

de5me7

• Bay Watcher
  • urban spaceman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2011, 05:07:43 pm »

im a diagnosed mild dyspraxic and dyslexic

neither have a major impact on my life but are irritating at times. Severely dyspraxic people fall over when the lights are switched out. I just have poor / fluctuating hand eye coordination, i cant catch very well and my hand writing sucks.
I haven't been able to get any vomit this release. Not any I can pick up, at any rate.
Swans, too. Swans are complete bastards.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2011, 05:10:38 pm »

I'm pretty sure I don't have this. But people think I look kinda smashed when I'm walking despite my balance being fine since I tend to sway around a bit.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2011, 05:22:47 pm »

I'm clumsy, but that's mostly to do with being fairly tall and broad, with long arms and legs. Narrowly set shelves are a nightmare, as are very small objects and poorly balanced things out of my normal line of sight.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

RF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2011, 06:54:29 pm »

Edit:  That seems like an awful lot of symptoms.  Are we sure this isn't a made up condition that exists mostly to sell medication?

I joked to my girlfriend that is the condition with the second most amount of symptoms, just after anything on the autism spectrum. :p

But, yeah, sadly there's no medication or training to get around it. The only thing you can do is accept it in your life and try to arrange your life around it.
Pages: [1] 2