Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Infected nose  (Read 1210 times)

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Infected nose
« on: July 02, 2011, 12:14:17 am »

Nose cartilage
Smashed apart
Infection

My legendary hammerdwarf has received a wound on the nose a few months ago, and today I noticed there was an infection there. Will he live? Do infections in non major areas be less likely to cause death?

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Infected nose
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2011, 12:22:47 am »

How quick does he heal, how tough is he, and how susceptible to disease is he? If he is resistant enough to the damage the infection causes, it will eventually clear up. If he's slow to heal and susceptible to disease, though, he can die from that.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2011, 12:31:59 am »

'slow to heal and quite susceptible to disease'

Goddamn it... He was among the first few members of the military. I'd hate to lose him to an lucky stab by a kobold (or whatever thief it was that wounded his nose).

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 12:41:20 am »

I thought it was established, in the adventurer mode forum of all places, that having any body part with "Infection" eventually led to death. The disease resistance only prevents the "Infection" from appearing after an injury. The established cure for nose/finger infections in adventure mode is to retire your adventurer in a village, and create a new one to hunt down the first and bite off his nose/fingers while he sleeps.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=86596.0

Solution: send him into battle, hope he loses his nose, or dies in glory rather than in a bed.

_DivideByZero_

• Bay Watcher
  • Not to be confused with infinity
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2011, 12:48:34 am »

Quote from: Wiki
Every open wound can become infected. Infections may heal over time, however, many dwarves will die due to infection, often months after the actual wounding
Have I now become your enemy by telling you the truth? (Gal 4:16)

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2011, 12:49:02 am »

You can try amputating his nose with serrated disk traps and such, although the head is a rather inopportune location for dwarven amputation. Make sure he is armored everywhere but the bit that you want to amputate.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

thatkid

• Bay Watcher
  • <Servibot> thatkid, swag percentiles: 94
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2011, 02:41:09 am »

I thought doctor dwarves would perform surgery to amputate infected body parts? Or is that only rotting body parts?
Fame is a vapor. The only earthly certainty is oblivion.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2011, 03:16:46 am »

I thought doctor dwarves would perform surgery to amputate infected body parts? Or is that only rotting body parts?
Neither. They will "remove rotten tissue", but that doesn't actually involve amputation.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

gomwon

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Overseer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2011, 06:53:40 am »

Actually, i recently had a miner who had an infected leg after a channeling fail. After sitting in the corner in the hospital, not even in the bed, he somehow lost his infection. My doctor was basically dabbling in all but suturing, but he somehow cured his infection. He is now up and about mining stuff again, however my expedition leader had the same accident, and he died from infection.

http://twitter.com/#!/Gompasta for Dwarf Fortress Tweetspam.

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2011, 07:32:13 am »

I'm also pretty sure of a dwarf I had once who I thought was doomed from an infected gash (or something), but stuck around for next decade or so until I abandoned the fort.

Oaktree

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2011, 09:18:27 am »

I had a dwarf with an infection for years, and it suddenly cleared up.  Seen the same with a dwarvish child who had an encounter with an upright spear trap and lived with a pile of injuries.  Everything but the infection eventually healed and then one day a check of health status indicated that it was gone too.  (I do wonder if keeping a good soap supply around helps with this - I make quite a bit of it and the dwarves are using it.)
Armorer McUrist cancels forge steel mailshirt, interrupted by minecart