Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Strange Mood Anvils?  (Read 1403 times)

Jiokuy

• Bay Watcher
  • Morning comes whether you set the alarm or not
    • View Profile
Strange Mood Anvils?
« on: July 01, 2011, 11:16:29 pm »

Can a Dwarf under a Strange Mood make an anvil say out of wood and use a carpenter shop; or do they need an anvil (Metalsmith).
I'm do a repopulate the world style embark (dead civ), with no points spent on embark.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Strange Mood Anvils?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 11:22:49 pm »

A wooden anvil wouldn't be useful anyway; forges specifically require a fire-safe anvil, and wood isn't.

A mason should be able to make a stone anvil, but the problem would be acquiring that first stone. Are you going to be where humans could reach you? That would solve that problem. Otherwise, I think you're out of luck. Heck, even if you can somehow make a wooden anvil, it wouldn't help you if you can't trade with humans for a fire-safe material, as it's impossible to acquire fire-safe material without a pick or at least one fire-safe material unless you trade.

...I think you're gonna have to embark with a couple of stones. 6 points shouldn't be too much of a concession to civilization, right?
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 11:24:10 pm »

hmmmmm. i bet they CAN make wooden anvils if the rng goes the right way.
perhaps this is why the forge workshops specifically require a "firesafe" anvil.
i was thinking "how does one get a non-fire safe anvil?"

now i know.
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

thegoatgod_pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2011, 12:08:42 am »

I've had an adamantine anvil before.  It was worth more than the fort.  Made it the "artifact" forge for legendaries.
More ridiculous than reindeer?  Where you think you supercool and is you things the girls where I honestly like I is then why are humans on their as my people or what would you?

nanomage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2011, 04:22:33 am »

i had a rose gold anvil, but never a rock or wooden or bone one. I think that's impossible, but i agree that the last 20 dwarves rebuilding the entire civilization with the first artifact dragon bone anvil would be awesome.

AutomataKittay

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinding gears
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2011, 04:33:49 am »

I believe only metals can be made into anvils in vanilla, though historically IRL, stones' been used as crude anvils. I think there are a mod or two that'd allow that to be done  :D

(Feel free to disprove me on the only metal part, I've very rarely had anvil moods in first place )

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2011, 04:34:06 am »

There's a myth that a strange mood can produce any item - while some bizarre combinations are definitely possible (beds made of stone/metal, assorted furniture made of bone or gemstone), there are some combinations which appear to be completely impossible: cloth/leather furniture, wood/stone/metal windows, non-metal anvils, and likely numerous others. Back in 40d, strange moods actually obeyed the [HARD_MAT] restriction on instruments and toys (though backwards - a leather instrument would be anything but a drum), and it's likely that this is still the case.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Ethnar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2011, 06:31:38 am »

(...) there are some combinations which appear to be completely impossible: cloth/leather furniture, (...)

If I recall correctly, not long ago I've read someone had Cloth chest made with the mood. Don't quote me on that thou. ;)

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2011, 07:33:56 am »

(...) there are some combinations which appear to be completely impossible: cloth/leather furniture, (...)

If I recall correctly, not long ago I've read someone had Cloth chest made with the mood. Don't quote me on that thou. ;)

Glorified bag, most probably.