Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8

Author Topic: Bill S.978 will Criminalize Gameplay Videos  (Read 8675 times)

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
Re: Bill S.978 will Criminalize Gameplay Videos
« Reply #90 on: July 02, 2011, 07:32:23 pm »

I meant as in will they also get flagged. Also, it'll create a few jobs, yet cause so much more damage. Now let's look at the major youtube LPers and streamers. Most of them play new indie games, these games then get more publicity and sales. Without these people the indie gaming companies end up not making as much of a splash, going bankrupt and basically jobless. Then there's the people who run the sites themselves, the lets players who actually make money from lets playing and so on.

And before you say "Hey they won't flag indie company videos because the companies won't have a problem". Look at youtubes current music policy, all sorts of videos are taken down for containing small amounts of copyright, or no copyrighted materials at all.

But it makes money for all the right people -- the ones that society actually works for, both literally and figuratively.

Just saying... excuse my cynicism regarding political-economic matters...
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

EmperorNuthulu

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes nu's for their blueness, oh and that mohawk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: July 02, 2011, 07:36:06 pm »

No, it could actually lose money for the video game developers. How many of you have bought a game due to watching lps? I know I have.
Blargh.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: July 02, 2011, 07:53:25 pm »

You know why our prisons are overcrowded, right?  They LOVE overbearing criminalizations of stupid shit.  Do 5 minutes of research about the prison system's role in the war on drugs.

But yeah, this is the major one.  Specifically, the rich executives of the industry along with their lawyers and lobbyists and probably a few politicians will make a ton of money.  It's the same thing that's been going on with the intellectual property debate for last 15 years or so.

I'm kind of curious about this, but I'm certainly not going to bother with the research. I guess there's probably some kind of thing where people running prisons get huge amounts of money for having prisoners. That makes some sense. But if they can pass arbitrary laws, wouldn't a "give me all your money" bill be better? Or if that would be too direct for the omniscient council of vagueness, maybe push for the banning of alcohol again? That effectively made everyone a criminal last time. Going after people who post video game Let's Play's (which this bill does not imply but seems to be what you are talking about here) just seems kind of inefficient. Like, "ridiculous conspiracy theory" inefficient.

And just how are the copyright holders going to make money of this? Since it's now a criminal matter, the suspects will be presumed innocent until proven otherwise, and someone will actually have to show beyond reasonable doubt that a copyright violation has taken place, and that it is valued at at least 2500 dollars, and that it was performed by the person being accused.

Also, the bill specifies "streaming", which I think refers to live streaming, making YouTube completely exempt from everything it entails.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: July 02, 2011, 08:05:10 pm »

But if they can pass arbitrary laws, wouldn't a "give me all your money" bill be better? Or if that would be too direct for the omniscient council of vagueness, maybe push for the banning of alcohol again? That effectively made everyone a criminal last time. Going after people who post video game Let's Play's (which this bill does not imply but seems to be what you are talking about here) just seems kind of inefficient. Like, "ridiculous conspiracy theory" inefficient.

And just how are the copyright holders going to make money of this? Since it's now a criminal matter, the suspects will be presumed innocent until proven otherwise, and someone will actually have to show beyond reasonable doubt that a copyright violation has taken place, and that it is valued at at least 2500 dollars, and that it was performed by the person being accused.

Also, the bill specifies "streaming", which I think refers to live streaming, making YouTube completely exempt from everything it entails.

I don't see how this qualifies as conspiracy theory... It's been an ongoing legal debate for the last 15 years, and the executive level influence and greed of the film and music industries in their lawsuit campaigns is pretty well documented, along with the plenty of debunking of their stated goals of protecting the artists. 

But the RIAA lawsuit campaign failed (at least in making money directly... it succeeded in some other ways), and so will this if it plays out in similar fashion... just like you're saying.  I fully expect them to try some different tactics, though.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: July 02, 2011, 08:14:15 pm »

But the RIAA lawsuit campaign failed fully
I think that this may have to do with the RIAA being insane. They suied a Russian MP3 sharing site for 1.65 trillion USD in damages. There are nations that don't have that much money.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: July 02, 2011, 08:25:16 pm »

Yeah, but they managed to generate some paranoia around the act of pirating, solidify the law's stance on file sharing as stealing, make a huge media shitstorm of the issue to convince a very considerable portion of the population to think of it as stealing (many of whom may have never have been even aware of the issue otherwise), and make direct attacks on major hubs.

How much of an effect this has had is highly debatable.  The majority of people who aren't very internet savvy have been scared away from the idea of file sharing anything, but the minority who are internet savvy are more rabid and efficient about it than ever.  Attacking file-sharing services and hubs has turned out to be like cutting the head off a hydra.

And this is ignoring the other stuff that the RIAA/MPAA has done on the side and more recently in gaining leverage on ISPs and more successful lobbying.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: July 02, 2011, 08:35:32 pm »

They are good at media and turning a legal distribution system into the devil because of what its partially used for.
What they are not good at is technical literacy.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: July 02, 2011, 08:53:31 pm »

Also the whole law they passed, that DID succeed, that actually eliminated the "Parody, Education, Review" exceptions under the law indirrectly.

So how is it a conspiracy if... it actually happened?

Mind you... the law was taken down later.

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: July 02, 2011, 09:09:27 pm »

I don't see how this qualifies as conspiracy theory... It's been an ongoing legal debate for the last 15 years, and the executive level influence and greed of the film and music industries in their lawsuit campaigns is pretty well documented, along with the plenty of debunking of their stated goals of protecting the artists. 

What do the film and music industries have to do with it? I thought we were talking about prisons pushing for the criminalization of arbitrary things to get more prisoners to get more money. The RIAA is in on it too? What are they trying to achieve by criminalizing video streaming? Another scare campaign? Well, that definitely sounds more plausible, although still kind of overelaborate.

So how is it a conspiracy if... it actually happened?

You have an organization working in secret to achieve a nefarious goal. I don't see how achieving the goal would make it any LESS of a conspiracy. >:] Well, to be fair, I didn't say "conspiracy", I said "ridiculous conspiracy theory", which kind of implies a scenario that could never take place. To be even more fair, I said it in reference to prison profiteers trying to criminalize Let's Plays in order to get more inmates, which I still maintain does sound ridiculous.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: July 02, 2011, 09:22:03 pm »

What do the film and music industries have to do with it? I thought we were talking about prisons pushing for the criminalization of arbitrary things to get more prisoners to get more money. The RIAA is in on it too? What are they trying to achieve by criminalizing video streaming? Another scare campaign? Well, that definitely sounds more plausible, although still kind of overelaborate.
The industries have something to do with it because the MPAA/RIAA are directly related to them, but do you really expect their plan to make sense?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: July 02, 2011, 09:24:58 pm »

I wasn't saying that the prison system was directly in on it.  Just saying that they would profit, and I know that this can be a factor in legislation, as it has especially been so in the war on drugs. 

I only mentioned it because it irks me when people say "but that will cost so much money!!", because they're forgetting that one person's cost is another's pay.  What you need to pay attention to is where that pay will be going.

Hell, the wars in the middle east have been costly as hell.  The defense industry sure isn't complaining.
We dance for the idiots
In the land of twilight

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 02, 2011, 10:47:24 pm »

I'm biding my time until this thread turns into Democratic/Republican flame war.

jk.

I can'y believe this would even be considered. Someone earlier said it hasn't been introduced to the floors of either house, meaning someone made a big deal about recommending it to a congressman.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 02, 2011, 11:00:47 pm »

Well, it was only introduced last month. It's a very young bill, and might not be voted on for a while.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #103 on: July 02, 2011, 11:22:06 pm »

Bah, unlikely to get passed, very likely to be taken down due to pressure from everybody if it does. That's all i can say.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 02, 2011, 11:30:15 pm »

You have an organization working in secret to achieve a nefarious goal. I don't see how achieving the goal would make it any LESS of a conspiracy.

There is a connotation that "Conspiracy theory" means "false"

and no I am not joking... I've been accused of telling conspiracy theories that were done right out in the open and told openly too.

It is only a conspiracy if there is a conspiracy.

Anyhow you can't "secretly pass a law" anyhow.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8