Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8

Author Topic: Bill S.978 will Criminalize Gameplay Videos  (Read 8683 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bill S.978 will Criminalize Gameplay Videos
« Reply #75 on: July 02, 2011, 06:36:09 pm »

Wah, really?  Thanks for telling me!  I'd had no idea.

Basically what happened is that it was never illegal to make a parody... but the means in which you procure the footage made it illegal.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: July 02, 2011, 06:42:38 pm »

Fair Use also covers commentary, so as long as you talk for your LP you should be legal.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: July 02, 2011, 06:45:20 pm »

Fair Use also covers commentary, so as long as you talk for your LP you should be legal.

That is why Reviews are "legal" too

EmperorNuthulu

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes nu's for their blueness, oh and that mohawk!
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: July 02, 2011, 07:07:56 pm »

So they wanted to make a bill that would end up costing a shit tonne of money to enforce, not to mention effort for the U.S which is currently suffering economically? Wow, that's a whole new level of stupid right there.
Blargh.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: July 02, 2011, 07:08:54 pm »

This sounds like a waste of time. Why are they pushing this specifically? Surely there's more important things to be doing. Like the law that passed over here that makes it illegal to swear with the threat of a $230 (and 90 cents!) fine if you do. You have to wonder what these people do with their time.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: July 02, 2011, 07:10:48 pm »

Yeah, stuff like this proves to me that at least Congress isn't greedy, but they aren't very smart. Then again, if they don't pass this that'll be proving me at least a little wrong on that front, but we still have the War On Drugs, so....

Like the law that passed over here that makes it illegal to swear with the threat of a $230 (and 90 cents!) fine if you do.
For the record, there would be riots over here if a bill like that was even introduced to Congress, much less passed.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: July 02, 2011, 07:10:50 pm »

So they wanted to make a bill that would end up costing a shit tonne of money to enforce, not to mention effort for the U.S which is currently suffering economically? Wow, that's a whole new level of stupid right there.

But it makes money for all the right people -- the ones that society actually works for, both literally and figuratively.

"Cost a shit ton of money" doesn't mean that money just disappears.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Jackrabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: July 02, 2011, 07:14:43 pm »

Like the law that passed over here that makes it illegal to swear with the threat of a $230 (and 90 cents!) fine if you do.
For the record, there would be riots over here if a bill like that was even introduced to Congress, much less passed.

I guess Australia has far less emphasis on freedom of speech (how many countries apart from America have it in their constitution, anyway?), but you'd be surprised how quietly it went through over here. Sure, there was a rally or two, I even went to one. But hardly anyone showed up and it got hijacked by College students anyway. I guess people over here just either don't care or actually support it. Waste of police time and people's money, though.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 07:16:44 pm by Jackrabbit »

EmperorNuthulu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: July 02, 2011, 07:16:15 pm »

But it makes money for all the right people -- the ones that society actually works for, both literally and figuratively.

No no no no. First off, money has to be put into prisons, minimal security yes but it's still money. And i'm going out on a limb here by saying with all the people who stream would fill up any current ones decently quickly. Then there's maintenance of the prisons, actually finding these people using IP tracking systems takes time (And let's admit it here, every police station in the USA isn't exactly tech savvy).

So who exactly makes any money at all here? Perhaps film companies will make theoretical money, thats it.

I mean it's not as if the USA have wars or economic problems or anything else going on... oh wait.
Blargh.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: July 02, 2011, 07:18:46 pm »

I don't think this law is retroactive, EmperorNuthulu. All the people who have already streamed aren't going to prison if this passes. It's only if you continue streaming. I don't think 'costs a lot of money' is the issue with this bill.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

EmperorNuthulu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: July 02, 2011, 07:21:39 pm »

There's still an amount of money lost anyways. You're right though that it's not the real issue, although how will this affect internet reviewers, I assume the same as lets players and such?
Blargh.

Grakelin

• Bay Watcher
  • Stay thirsty, my friends
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: July 02, 2011, 07:22:28 pm »

They will deal with income lost from video game reviewers by shutting down five or six art initiatives.
I am have extensive knowledge of philosophy and a strong morality
Okay, so, today this girl I know-Lauren, just took a sudden dis-interest in talking to me. Is she just on her period or something?

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: July 02, 2011, 07:23:15 pm »

No no no no. First off, money has to be put into prisons, minimal security yes but it's still money. And i'm going out on a limb here by saying with all the people who stream would fill up any current ones decently quickly. Then there's maintenance of the prisons, actually finding these people using IP tracking systems takes time (And let's admit it here, every police station in the USA isn't exactly tech savvy).

So who exactly makes any money at all here?

You just listed a bunch of people who would be making money and then asked who would be making money...

You know why our prisons are overcrowded, right?  They LOVE overbearing criminalizations of stupid shit.  Do 5 minutes of research about the prison system's role in the war on drugs.

Perhaps film companies will make theoretical money, thats it.

But yeah, this is the major one.  Specifically, the rich executives of the industry along with their lawyers and lobbyists and probably a few politicians will make a ton of money.  It's the same thing that's been going on with the intellectual property debate for last 15 years or so.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Flying Carcass

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: July 02, 2011, 07:27:18 pm »

I noticed somthing weird about the party divide on this, acutally. While most of the supporters are Democrats, the opposition list on OpenCongress shows that a good deal of the ones listed as opposing the bill are apparently also Democrats. Very strange, that.

Where do you see the listing of reps supporting or not supporting? All I saw was a "money trail" listing that listed various non-government organizations opposed to and for the legislation and the amount of campaign contributions they've given to various reps. While the contributions may influence a rep's standing on an issue, the list doesn't necessarily reflect who is for/against... either that or Senators Schumer, Gillibrand, Boxer, and Leahy have split personalities! Granted, the millions of dollars tossed their way by various groups for the bill would likely have a greater influence on their vote that the hundreds donated by opposition groups.

Btw, the bill was introduced by Senator Klobuchar (D-MN) and is co-sponsored by Senator Coons (D-DE) and Senator Cornyn (R-TX).

EmperorNuthulu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: July 02, 2011, 07:30:23 pm »

I meant as in will they also get flagged. Also, it'll create a few jobs, yet cause so much more damage. Now let's look at the major youtube LPers and streamers. Most of them play new indie games, these games then get more publicity and sales. Without these people the indie gaming companies end up not making as much of a splash, going bankrupt and basically jobless. Then there's the people who run the sites themselves, the lets players who actually make money from lets playing and so on.

And before you say "Hey they won't flag indie company videos because the companies won't have a problem". Look at youtubes current music policy, all sorts of videos are taken down for containing small amounts of copyright, or no copyrighted materials at all.
Blargh.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8