Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8

Author Topic: Bill S.978 will Criminalize Gameplay Videos  (Read 8706 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bill S.978 will Criminalize Gameplay Videos
« Reply #30 on: July 02, 2011, 02:36:20 am »

Care to explain how doing these LP's leads to losing money?

You spoil the games for others as well as, if it is a bad game, show off its faults and errors.

I am not saying it is significant... It is just likely part of their motives.

Though the "Charge to the highest bidder" aspect is probably more significant. I mean could you imagine if game companies actually could license reviews? For example if Microsoft goes and tells Gamespot that their reviews arn't high enough so they no longer can review their games proper?
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 02:45:13 am by Neonivek »

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 02, 2011, 02:57:57 am »

Uh wow.

Uhm.

The summary linked in the OP says that this is only relative to streaming of copyrighted content, not Youtube videos or stuff like that. So either it's wrong, or all you people who've done Youtube videos aren't going to prison.
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 02, 2011, 03:01:37 am »

Uh wow.

Uhm.

The summary linked in the OP says that this is only relative to streaming of copyrighted content, not Youtube videos or stuff like that. So either it's wrong, or all you people who've done Youtube videos aren't going to prison.

Then this bill sounds odd... and you seem right somewhat... (as you have to "Stream" onto Youtube in the first place)

Though I don't quite know what streaming is exactly... as the definitions of it actually makes the term "Stream" quite wide.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2011, 03:03:43 am by Neonivek »

Bdthemag

• Bay Watcher
  • Die Wacht am Rhein
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 02, 2011, 03:08:43 am »

I believe streaming is playing a game live, or something.
Well, you do have a busy life, what with keeping tabs on wild, rough-and-tumble forum members while sorting out the drama between your twenty two inner lesbians.
Your drunk posts continue to baffle me.
Welcome to Reality.

tomas1297

• Bay Watcher
  • Lack of originality.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 02, 2011, 03:10:35 am »

I'm 50% sure, that copyrighted material is just a pretext for those people who blame video games and music for everything. You know, school shooting = video games and metal and such. Anyway, it's ridiculous no matter how you look at it.
There was a time when cocksuits would have offended me. It's kind of bad that the time has passed.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 02, 2011, 03:26:30 am »

I believe streaming is playing a game live, or something.

No that is called "Live Streaming".

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 02, 2011, 04:05:35 am »

Even though this law is insane, it still has a great deal of wiggle room for most things. Most notable is the "for profit" designation. Either the copyright violater has to make 2,500 USD, or the copyright holder has to loose 2,500 USD because of the violator. You can't prove that an LP lost anyone any amount of money.

At least, that's my interpretation. Hopefully Truean can make this more clear, as he is experienced in matters of law.

That said, this is still horrible, and I will still be contacting my represenative. He seems like a reasonable fellow from what I know of him, I think he might listen, if he doesn't oppose the bill already.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 02, 2011, 04:59:53 am »

Wha- bu- e- WHAT THE FUCK!?

I just cannot say anything else. I'm too confused...
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Myroc

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking Skeleton
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 02, 2011, 05:04:27 am »

This bill is retarded by every means, but I can't help but feel more outrage in that the US is probably going to once again assume its law is universal and enforce it upon people everywhere, not just the US.
We all have problems. Some people just have more awesome problems than others.
Getting angry is fun. Getting angry over petty things even better.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2011, 05:10:57 am »

This bill is retarded by every means, but I can't help but feel more outrage in that the US is probably going to once again assume its law is universal and enforce it upon people everywhere, not just the US.
This. Is there a petition against this fuckwitted law?
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Supercharazad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 02, 2011, 05:38:20 am »

Yeah, this is retarded. Seriously, polititians should know at least SOMETHING about what they're talking about BEOFRE they pass retarded bills and laws.

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 02, 2011, 05:41:49 am »

They're defining an offence as such:

an offense that "consists of 10 or more public performances by electronic means, during any 180-day period, of 1 or more copyrighted works" and has a total economic value, either to the copyright holder or the infringer, of at least $2,500.

There is a question of what constitutes a "public performance". If I watch a movie on a DVD in the comfort of my own house, it's not a public performace. If I watch a movie from the internet in the comfort of my own house, does it constitute a public performance?

There is also the question of the $2,500 economic value, but that has been brought up already.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 02, 2011, 05:44:45 am »

It hasn't been passed. It hasn't even gone to the floor of the House or the Senate yet. Nor has Obama signed it into law.

Anyway, I just finished sending what I hope will be a heartfelt email to my representative. I think I gave the best of what I could in it to convince him, and as before, his politics seem very reasonable. I encourage all of you who are in the US to do the same. One person's best effort can change someone's mind entierly, or at least give them doubts. We can help turn this around before it ever becomes a problem.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 02, 2011, 05:55:04 am »

You spoil the games for others as well as, if it is a bad game, show off its faults and errors.
This is quite a negative way of looking at it... you may also show off how fun the game is (I bought Just Cause 2 after watching cag Livestreaming it, for instance) and perhaps ways in which you can do crazy things which the developer's didn't necessarily intend.  I suppose companies might prefer to just show the good sides of their game, though.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 02, 2011, 06:00:24 am »

As far as I can tell, this amounts to a violation of existing fair use policy...
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8