Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: what am I doing wrong?  (Read 1333 times)

The Dog Delusion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
what am I doing wrong?
« on: July 01, 2011, 07:31:48 pm »

I'm trying to get my dwarves to use the bins in my furniture stockpile, but they're just...sitting there. My leather stockpile, gem stockpile, and bar stockpile all are completely full, but should be able to accept more bins, but no dice. I tried making some new bins, but they don't get used either. I tired re-stockpiling the stuff, making new stockpiles, deleting and re-assigning, using the "take from" orders...I know I must be doing something wring here, but it makes me sad? Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?
Keep in mind that the dwarves are essentially alcoholic toddlers, and act accordingly.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: what am I doing wrong?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 07:36:10 pm »

Could be any number of things.  Let's go through the checklist.  Any burrows?  Anything forbidden?  Hauling skills enabled on idle dwarves?  Can you path to the desired locations?  Did you enable bins for that particular stockpile?  Do you have bins reserved via the overarching stockpile menu?

Any of those sound likely?

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 07:40:58 pm »

Often, you need at least one free space in a stockpile for anything to be stored in bins in that pile. This is because only free stockpile spaces can claim a bin for that stockpile, and dwarves will only move items into bins that have been claimed for an appropriate stockpile (they'll usually move the bins to the stockpile fairly soon after some items are in it). Try making larger stockpiles so that you can actually get some items binned, as that might help.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

nil

• Bay Watcher
  • whoa
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2011, 07:50:01 pm »

Maybe try modifying all your furniture stockpiles to exclude bins?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2011, 07:56:53 pm »

Dwarves will put bins into a full stockpile.  They toss the bin under the item, then store items within.

By default, a stockpile attempts to have 1 free container.  An empty pile has 1 bin, a pile with 1 stray bolt will have 2 bins.  Perhaps the furniture stockpile accidentally uses bins?

The Dog Delusion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2011, 09:30:39 pm »

Do you have bins reserved via the overarching stockpile menu?

YAY! It turned out to be this - I don't know how/when it got turned up to 50, but as soon as I figured it out and changed it, all of the idlers went scrambling to fill the bins with leather, gems, bars, and other crap.

Thanks!

The step-by-step solution (for others' reference):

1) from the main screen, "p" takes you to the stockpiles screen
2) for me, it was "alt+up" and "alt+down" that adjusted the "reserved bins" amount, shown toward the bottom of the interface screen.
3) barrels ("*" and "/") are also adjustable here - mine was at 0
Keep in mind that the dwarves are essentially alcoholic toddlers, and act accordingly.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2011, 09:45:14 pm »

Awesomesauce.

Also, I try and set my reserved barrels up.  That way there's always an empty barrel for booze, and you never get all barrels filled with food.

The Dog Delusion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2011, 10:18:03 pm »

Awesomesauce.

Also, I try and set my reserved barrels up.  That way there's always an empty barrel for booze, and you never get all barrels filled with food.

since all my food gets cooked into meals, I have all of my "prepared meals" stockpiles set to 0 barrels - it makes it a lot easier to figure out how much I have, and doesn't take up much more space, as best I can tell.