Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Weaponizing Booze  (Read 1940 times)

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
Weaponizing Booze
« on: July 01, 2011, 05:26:19 pm »

After watching "Shaun of the Dead" i began to wonder the plausibility of making some sort of "Molotov cocktail in the geneses mod (you can brew in adventure mode in this mod), I created a Dwarf named "BoozeSplosion" manufactured several wonderful barrels of booze, placed the barrels in a human shop and lit the place up.  The fire and explosion killed several humans, I am planning to see the plausibility of "booze bombing" bandits and night creatures.
So, what do you think of the plausibility of using booze as a weapon?
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
Re: Weaponizing Booze
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 07:05:37 pm »

It definitely can and has been done before. I am not an expert on traps, but I have an idea for you. You can start a fire somewhere in your fortress and set things up so that a barrel of booze will fall onto it when a pressure plate it stepped on, thus making a lovely explosive trap! I have never actually done this before however.

So yeah, its plausible. Whether or not its practical is another story altogether.
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

ImBocaire

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALL_WORK] [NO_PLAY] [IS_DULL_BOY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 07:08:16 pm »

I hate to break it to you, but at least in vanilla DF, booze doesn't explode, it just boils away in a red mist that is nonfatal to anyone caught in it. It was likely just the fire that killed the humans, unless Genesis allows explosions from booze.
[STATE_ADJ:GAS:boiling fish woman]

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2011, 07:09:22 pm »

In that case, your only option is to boil people alive in a pool of alcohol.
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.

ImBocaire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2011, 07:10:32 pm »

This is why custom liquids need to hurry up and get here.

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2011, 07:19:27 pm »

It definitely can and has been done before. I am not an expert on traps, but I have an idea for you. You can start a fire somewhere in your fortress and set things up so that a barrel of booze will fall onto it when a pressure plate it stepped on, thus making a lovely explosive trap! I have never actually done this before however.

So yeah, its plausible. Whether or not its practical is another story altogether.
This is df, being practical is for elves and wusses.

I hate to break it to you, but at least in vanilla DF, booze doesn't explode, it just boils away in a red mist that is nonfatal to anyone caught in it. It was likely just the fire that killed the humans, unless Genesis allows explosions from booze.
Oh I know that the fire killed them but I just like to imagine........ :P
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

ImBocaire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2011, 09:12:29 pm »

Heh, all right. It's a common enough misconception that you never know. Personally I'd love the ability for a burning booze stockpile to be *that* much more dangerous than a burning, say, finished goods stockpile.

It seems like the code for creature breath attacks, namely [UNDIRECTED_DUST] (which creates a huge cloud of "deadly dust," which can and does fling dwarves around) combined with an innately high-temperature material might be somehow harnessed to create fiery explosions. That said, any sort of robust modeling of explosions would probably be rather difficult to add.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2011, 02:03:37 pm »

the hot boiling booze can by df rules kill stuff, if the booze boiled at a higher temp.

skin need to get to 10250 to take damage and 10508 to reach Ignition point

alcohol has a Boiling point 10150 and an Ignition point of 10800.
so if the booze is bruning and has the time it will set dweafs on fire.
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

ImBocaire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2011, 02:49:50 pm »

Except the way DF works, stuff either boils or burns. Vaporized booze doesn't hang around for the temperature to increase, and all booze will without fail boil instead of burn.

Funk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2011, 04:35:10 pm »

even with a low Specific heat?
Agree, plus that's about the LAST thing *I* want to see from this kind of game - author spending valuable development time on useless graphics.

Unofficial slogan of Bay 12 Games.  

Death to the false emperor a warhammer40k SG

ImBocaire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2011, 05:25:32 pm »

Yeah. There's a lot of fluff in the raws, actually; a lot of things that should have an impact on gameplay but don't seem to, or at least have one so small as to be invisible. Pretty much all the vapors in the game act the same, except the ones that give you syndromes, and even those don't deal with temperature much, and magma mist, which is very hard to create and probably hard-coded to be different from other vapors.