Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: What would you mod in for a more realistic DF experience?  (Read 1877 times)

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
What would you mod in for a more realistic DF experience?
« on: July 01, 2011, 08:58:30 am »

I personally always though it was weird how dwarves can make a bed without cloth for sheets, and when I'm finished with my current fortress I will add cloth to the bed reaction. Anyone got anything that would make the DF experience more 'realistic'? (please don't mention poop)

Jetriot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What would you mod in for a more realistic DF experience?
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2011, 09:04:52 am »

Real dwarves don't need a blankie.

If anything magma should be added into the process.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2011, 09:06:16 am »

Actually, you'd have to make a custom reaction for that.  Default beds and carpentry shops are hard-coded, cannot touch them AT ALL.  You can make a new reaction, that takes wood+cloth and makes a bed, but you'll still have the old one.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2011, 09:09:51 am »

I've changed the Giant Desert Scorpion's description to read:
A gigantic arachnid with huge pincers and a poisonous barbed tail.  It is found in the savage lands.
Instead of:
A gigantic insect with huge pincers and a poisonous barbed tail.  It is found in the savage lands.

Much more realistic.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2011, 09:16:51 am »

Actually, you'd have to make a custom reaction for that.  Default beds and carpentry shops are hard-coded, cannot touch them AT ALL.  You can make a new reaction, that takes wood+cloth and makes a bed, but you'll still have the old one.

>:(

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2011, 09:36:36 am »

Narcotics and their effects on dwarves. They are immune to ethanol (total habituation), but nobody said they are immune to others. They are poor creatures, because they can't smoke or inject something pleasant, which will make them happy. I'd start with weed.

richieelias

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2011, 09:39:25 am »

I've changed the Giant Desert Scorpion's description to read:
A gigantic arachnid with huge pincers and a poisonous barbed tail.  It is found in the savage lands.
Instead of:
A gigantic insect with huge pincers and a poisonous barbed tail.  It is found in the savage lands.

Much more realistic.

How is that at all more realistic? Scorpions are Arachnids, not insects.

edit: Ohhhh, I read your statement to read the other way around at first glance. In my head you were trying to replace arachnid with insect :P  Carry on folks. Nothing more to see here.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 10:08:18 am by richieelias »

Friendstrange

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2011, 11:42:07 am »

Narcotics and their effects on dwarves. They are immune to ethanol (total habituation), but nobody said they are immune to others. They are poor creatures, because they can't smoke or inject something pleasant, which will make them happy. I'd start with weed.
Weed is for punny real world humans. Dwarves get high smoking dried Death-Cap wood and injecting mogjuice and gnomeblight into their veins.

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2011, 12:49:37 pm »

smoke from forges.
comfortable living tempurature.
schools for kids.
colleges for adults.

(and i was gonna mention sewage systems, but i guess that falls under the realm of poop, huh?)
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

rutsber

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2011, 01:26:54 pm »

Well, since waste is out of the question, I would have to say athletics. These could give a positive thought and could train skills.

Urist McGolfer: FORE!
Urist McSwimmer: Hey, watch where you put your balls next time!
Gave me an idea. I'm gonna add the milkable tag to the male minotaur. MMMMmmm minotaur cheese.
A loud angry voice and instinct. "FUCK OFF URIST THIS TABLE IS MINE!"

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2011, 01:31:15 pm »

I gave dragons wings. It's not that realistic because, dragons don't exist, but hey, it's pretty much obvious that dragons MUST have wings or they're fire breathing quadruped dinosaurs.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2011, 04:07:31 pm »

the ability for dwarves to drink from vessels instead of the barrel.
the ability for dwarves to play musical instruments and form bands to entertain the fort.
children wanting toys to play with.
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2011, 04:30:00 pm »

I once modded in pallets, which were just a few blankets thrown on the floor.  Unfortunately the game just insisted on calling them beds (this was back in 40d tho). Just they were super cheep, and iirc problematic when designating a room from. But it did satisfy my desire for really crappy rooms/beds for the worthless.
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 01, 2011, 07:22:55 pm »

Put in wings on dragons like the above poster.  I mean obviously that has to be one of the first things I do.

Things I would *like* to do but haven't to make dwarf fortress more realistic?  Hmm...

*Thinner giraffe necks.
Currently giraffe necks are as thick as they are tall making them virtually un-severable.  That can be mitigated by splitting the giraffe's neck body part into an upper and lower neck (maybe a central too if that doesn't do enough).

*'Windpipe' throat bodypart.  Breakable like a bone, when broken it prevents breathing.
A cut to the throat is very lethal, a punch or a hammer to the throat is useless.  It should not be.

*Giraffe like necks for dragons.
Dragons more often than not have long necks comparable to that of a giraffe, DF ones do not.

*Kobold tails.
What can I say, I grew up on D&D.

*Animal joints.
Humanoids have them, so should animals.  2 part quadruped legs fall under this.

Most of that stuff I just don't do because it would be a massive PITA to redo those every single new DF version.  The windpipe thing I have a general idea how I would do but don't have specifics, and the animal joints would probably take awhile to do right.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2011, 07:25:28 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Supernerd

• Bay Watcher
  • Currently experiencing fremdschämen.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 01, 2011, 08:46:53 pm »

Dogs and Cats along with various other animals never need to eat anything. Maybe make the cats actually eat some of the vermin they hunt.
websim.ai is coming dangerously close to being able to run Gridhood. Maybe I'll live to see the day if I exercise, eat right, and somehow convince the world's governments not to nuke everyone.
Pages: [1] 2